RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #1

1999 Damon Challenger New to owning motor home few questions.

First off i am new here hope i am posting in the right section aha.

Somehow i wound up with a 1999 damon challenger 330 got it pre cheap have never owned a motor home nor did i think id ever own one.. but here i am i never worked on one. I am a mechanic just know nothing about motor homes. Few questions i have out the gate are 1 where do i get parts such as rotors calipers master cylinder ect all basic parts is there a cross ref somewhere where i can just go to reg auto store? This thing has been sitting for 7 years so it will need all the basic stuff to get it going it does start and run good tho so far just the brake petal goes to the floor so i am sure everything is stuck and probably needs a line or 2 somewhere.

Jws123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the Forum.

I'm familiar with the Ford F53, I currently own a 1999 and in the past have owned a 2001, these are very similar., and if you also have a Ford F53, I may be able to offer some of my experience.

I find that RockAuto has almost everything I've needed..

Sitting for seven years will present you with some challenges..

Brakes - After inspection, consider master cylinder, brake hoses, pads. possibly calipers. You may find some of the information useful on my site:

F53 Brake pads and wheel bearings – 1999 Southwind 35S

F53 Replacing Brake Hoses – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks like it will be Ford or Chev chassis. Replace all fluids flush brakes check hoses and replace fan belts. Good luck have fun.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Welcome to the Forum.

I'm familiar with the Ford F53, I currently own a 1999 and in the past have owned a 2001, these are very similar., and if you also have a Ford F53, I may be able to offer some of my experience.

I find that RockAuto has almost everything I've needed..

Sitting for seven years will present you with some challenges..

Brakes - After inspection, consider master cylinder, brake hoses, pads. possibly calipers. You may find some of the information useful on my site:

F53 Brake pads and wheel bearings – 1999 Southwind 35S

F53 Replacing Brake Hoses – 1999 Southwind 35S

Oh ok so its considered a ford f35? like i said i know nothing bout these lmfao just dont wanna order stuff and wind up sending stuff back cause i got wrong stuff its 1999 daemon challenger 330 says that on title but the sheet i found says built in 1998 if that helps lol.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillman View Post
Looks like it will be Ford or Chev chassis. Replace all fluids flush brakes check hoses and replace fan belts. Good luck have fun.
How do i tell the dif?
Old 08-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #6

Actually i should look at what motor is in it guess it would tell me ford or chevy eh? havnt even messed with it much just bought it yesterday started it and that was it.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #7

Does the steering wheel have a Ford logo or a Workhorse logo? Or there is usually a logo on the side of the front "quarter panel". If its a Workhorse you have a Chevy chassis, probably a Vortec 8.1 engine. If it's a Ford it will be a V10 engine. It's important to know which chassis you have so you can obtain the correct parts.

There is good info in the Workhorse chassis or Ford chassis forums here in iRV2 (submenu under "RV Fourms" in the top of the page header). I know in the Workhorse forum, you can enter the VIN and it will give you lots of info about the chassis.

And congrats, in my experience Damon built good coaches
Old 08-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Not a mechanic so can't help with that. Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello. Hope you get all those problems solved soon! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help thus far.

Appears to be a chevy with a Vortec 7.4 engine got it to move i have a little brakes calipers are stuck dont see any leaks will flush fluid ect. Also got the ebrake to let go and auto brake actually works at the moment knock wood. Guy i got it from took care of it up until it sat. Few other things I can not for the life of me find out where is the switch to put the door step up? And now that we know its a chevy/wh are there any other sites to get parts? i mean i checked rock auto they sell/ list little for work horse dont see rotors ect. I have heard of people going to reg parts store to get rotors ect is there a specific vehicle that would use same master cylinder rotors ect? or do i just try to find part numbers and go by that?
Old 08-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
There is a forum dedicated to the Damon RVs at Damon - iRV2 Forums . Lots of info available there.
Danlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlb View Post
There is a forum dedicated to the Damon RVs at Damon - iRV2 Forums . Lots of info available there.
Thanks didnt see it looks like my thread was moved big forum will look threw threads looks like lotta info.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #12

Yes, and since you are asking about parts that have to do mostly with the Workhorse chassis, also look at that forum. Workhorse was first spun off from GM, so it has many chassis parts in common with the Chevrolet chassis.
Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum - iRV2 Forums

And here is the link to decipher the VIN, which will tell you which chassis you have. 2009 WCC Vehicle Identification Numbering (VIN) System
Old 08-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #13

"Few other things I can not for the life of me find out where is the switch to put the doorstep up?"

I have a Damon about this vintage. I have a "light switch" near the door. There are three of these switches in this spot. One for the door, another for an interior light, and another for something I don't remember.

My Kwikee steps are rigged two ways. First, the steps retract when the rig is started. Then when I open the door the steps deploy. They retract when the engine is started. Or, use the switch and control the steps manually. That means they retract when the door is closed and deploy when the door opens. I just let the steps do "their thing" with the ignition switch.

My steps were reluctant when I got this RV from being neglected for Years. I checked the wiring, fixed a broken arm that moves the steps in and out, and finally just tapped the motor with a hammer. Viola! They worked.

My rig had lots of problems. You'll generate a long list. Whittle away at it and you'll probably get through the list OK.

One thing I should have done is run the generator monthly with a load for a half hour or more. Because I wasn't using the generator I had to take it to Onan for their "magic touch" so now it works every time and each month. Knock wood!

Good luck!

Bill, NA8M
NA8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #14

I think that 3rd switch is the"step overide" at least that's what mine does. Flip that switch and the steps stay out all the time. We use that when we are camping.

Good Luck
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA8M View Post
"Few other things I can not for the life of me find out where is the switch to put the doorstep up?"

I have a Damon about this vintage. I have a "light switch" near the door. There are three of these switches in this spot. One for the door, another for an interior light, and another for something I don't remember.

My Kwikee steps are rigged two ways. First, the steps retract when the rig is started. Then when I open the door the steps deploy. They retract when the engine is started. Or, use the switch and control the steps manually. That means they retract when the door is closed and deploy when the door opens. I just let the steps do "their thing" with the ignition switch.

My steps were reluctant when I got this RV from being neglected for Years. I checked the wiring, fixed a broken arm that moves the steps in and out, and finally just tapped the motor with a hammer. Viola! They worked.

My rig had lots of problems. You'll generate a long list. Whittle away at it and you'll probably get through the list OK.

One thing I should have done is run the generator monthly with a load for a half hour or more. Because I wasn't using the generator I had to take it to Onan for their "magic touch" so now it works every time and each month. Knock wood!

Good luck!

Bill, NA8M

Tags
damon, 1999