Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #1

2001 Intruder - Dying While Driving

Hi all,

Went on a trip to Cape Coral, Florida from Columbus, Ohio. Was on I-75 almost into Tennessee when the MH just lost power and when pulled to the side of the road, died. It would not start. Placed roadside flares for safety and went to check the oil and transmission fluid. All showed good and full. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and it started back up. Tried to merge onto freeway and would not go faster then 40MPH. Limped it up to the next exit and stopped at a service center and it was 6:00pm and the guys were kind enough to check it out. It was idling fine and would rev up great too. There was no service codes showing up on the dash. The tech hooked up his computer to the OBDII port and found an intermittent mass air flow sensor failure. We pulled the air filter out and it was soaked with water and had been sucked together. We drove to Auto Zone and bought 2 air filters, replaced the one and keep one for a spare. Runs Great!!

We had driven through some pretty heavy rain, but being on the freeway, we did not drive through any standing water. The tech said he thought it was a factory flaw of placement of the air box. He thought the only way to fix it, was to re-route the box to another location with a cold air kit.

Thought I would put this out there in case anyone else experienced this and maybe they could save some money. I was lucky enough and only was charged $75 for the service diag.

Happy driving!
Scott
Commercial Point, Ohio
soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #2

Glad your up and running . Somewhere in the forums is a description , of a re-routing of the engine air intake hoses to prevent this from happening.
I didn't see in your post; 8.1l , Workhorse Chassis ; but I'll assume that , as that's where I've heard of the problem before.
I'll poke around , and if I find the post ,I'll direct you to it.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

Sorry, it's on the Ford F53 Chassis with the V10 motor and the round cone air filter right in the front.
soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to hear first that it was a quickly solved problem and that you found someone to help you that did not take you to the cleaners on a bill.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

In the " Workhorse Chassis Forum " The post " Soaked Air Filter "
Members report help for the problem by sealing the gap between the hood and the front cap of the motor home, with a sticky back weather strip, to prevent the rain water from getting through the crack and into the intake.
I hope you can find the info you need to prevent this from happening on your next trip.