Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
2002 Damon Escaper 40' pusher electrical question

Hello everyone, I purchased this unit two years ago. When I did the owner give me the 'grand tour' before I purchased it and showed me everything he could think of in operating, etc. Inside this unit, it has along the center isle, little dim lights for walking in the dark. He turned them on and off, I too have tried but I cannot find any fuses that could be out and they will not come on. I also checked the power...none. The switch is in the bedroom...anyone have any ideas? I looked in the rear and checked all fuses and all were okay. I also checked all fuses under drivers seat you check from the outside inspection door without finding any burnt fuses. Am I missing one somewhere or are their two switches that are needed to activate the main? I'm lost...

Thanks,

Olpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Pull the wall switch and be sure you have power to the switch and look for a loose wire at that point.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #3

Check Dash Button

There's a button on the dash with the rest of the control buttons that show an icon similar to a half moon. That needs to on as well. It was also a little confused with my 02 Damon Escaper until I started just flipping switches. Also, even though the fuses don't appear to be blown, pull them out and back in slowly to see if the lights flicker. If so, that fuse needed some continuity from possibly setting too long. I'm not an electrician by no stretch of the imagination but it seemed to work for me. Best of Luck!!!
LiveNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #4

Don't know a thing about your set-up. Just a thought, but it seems to me those lights would almost have to be operated by 2 switches....one on or near each end of the lighted locations. Most hallways and rooms with ingress and egress have 2 switches so that one does not have to return to the other end/side to turn the lights off/on. I think LiveNow is pointing in the right direction....look for another switch somewhere.

Please let us know what you find out....thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
That wasn't it...

Thanks guys, I checked the dash knobs and looked for a second on/off switch. There is NO power at light switch in bedroom. All fuses in bedroom are okay. I also check all fuses outside in little inspection door under drivers seat (most of those were dash lights, electric steps, electric seats etc...still nothing
Old 06-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's the switch to the left of the "Gen Start" on the dash (on my 2004 Escaper 4194).
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Dash switches did not do the trick

I will begin removing and replacing all fuses. I would assume the fuses that control the lights would be those under the drivers-side window since its a dash switch that should turn them on and off. There are also a couple under the hood located just under the steering wheel that I will take out and replace. I will also do all those in the rear in the bedroom to eliminate all other potential areas.

This is not a major issue...it just bugs me to no end that I cannot figure it out. It's nearly impossible to trace the wires unless I place a wire tracer on it to see if I can track it down to the other end.

Thanks everyone...

Olpapa
Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olpapa View Post
I will begin removing and replacing all fuses. I would assume the fuses that control the lights would be those under the drivers-side window since its a dash switch that should turn them on and off. There are also a couple under the hood located just under the steering wheel that I will take out and replace. I will also do all those in the rear in the bedroom to eliminate all other potential areas.

This is not a major issue...it just bugs me to no end that I cannot figure it out. It's nearly impossible to trace the wires unless I place a wire tracer on it to see if I can track it down to the other end.

Thanks everyone...

Olpapa
Here's one more idea. I don't know why yet but, sometimes, I have to tap on the bulb housing with a screw driver or my knuckle. Shortly after getting this coach (about a month ago), I figured I'd start changing burned out bulbs. As soon as I touched one of these aisle lights with the screw driver, it came on. Went to the next, did the same, and it worked too. Turns out that none of the 3 or 4 that I thought were burned out were actually burned out.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Thanks, I'll try that. I know the previous owner showed me the isle lites when we purchased the unit. He turned them on and off. He also showed me a mood light over the flex-steel couch. After looking at the other side there is a rope light over the other couch and dining table but they don't turn on. Trying to figure those out too. Thanks for the ideas...
Old 06-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #10

My 01 intruder has aisle lights...the switches for them are in the bedroom, and beside the entry stairs. It's usually always a bad switch that's to blame. I had that problem with my fresh water pump....one of the switches was bad. That was a little more difficult, simply because there's several switches for the water.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #11

According to the drawing for my 2004 Escaper the Aisle Lights are powered from the Battery Control Center (BCC) which is located in the compartment with the access door that is located on the front drivers side of the coach. If it isn't a fuse then I would start at the switches. There should be three wires connected to each switch. The switch on the front panel has a indicator lamp in it. If you are getting 12 V through the switches it should illuminate or at least you should be able to check it for 12 V. On our Escaper there is a momentary rocker switch located in a panel near the entry door. It is for the battery isolator. Our is labeled Use - Store. The isolator relay must be closed for the lights to work.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, this sounds like a perfect reason to get a new motorhome.....Lights won't work.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #13

^ lol

New ones can break too my friend. And with warranties averaging only 12 months on stuff like that, you'll need to buy a new one every year to have "peace of mind".
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
I'm a little picky...I'd rather have them working...since they don't I've made that a goal. Sorry if you don't keep your unit up...

Tags
electrical