Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
2004 Damon Escaper

We have just purchased a very nice 04 Escaper. We have run into a strange item that is interesting. This is supposed to be a 4076 model. It looks like the 4076 with double slides.

However... the engine is the Cummins ISL 400HP and the chassis is the Freightliner XT. Since this combination is not listed in the NADA dealer book or the 2004 brochure, we contacted Damon with the VIN. They confirmed that it is the Cummins ISL 400HP/FRT XT.

Since this was not an option, we can only assume that this was custom ordered this way. Has anyone else ever ran into this?
SteveE9C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveE9C6 View Post
We have just purchased a very nice 04 Escaper. We have run into a strange item that is interesting. This is supposed to be a 4076 model. It looks like the 4076 with double slides.

However... the engine is the Cummins ISL 400HP and the chassis is the Freightliner XT. Since this combination is not listed in the NADA dealer book or the 2004 brochure, we contacted Damon with the VIN. They confirmed that it is the Cummins ISL 400HP/FRT XT.

Since this was not an option, we can only assume that this was custom ordered this way. Has anyone else ever ran into this?
Damon often builds options not listed in the broschure. Or I should say does not update the broschure as options are added or deleted. By example, our 2008 3575 on a 22k F53 chassis is not a model even listed for 2008, it was a late arrival. Both 09 and 10 broschures show this model on a 20k Ford and Workhorse chassis only.

Our conversations with Damon led us to believe the model was a late offering in 2008 and the 242" chassis was new for Ford that year. At first only available in the 22k version so that is what they built on until the 20k 242 was available later in the model year. Luckey me. Point is, the broschures are prepared only once a year and well in advance of the model year release so are often out of date by the time the coaches are built. The dealers have more up to date info when ordering but even then substitutions are made, like my chassis.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks... since this coach has virtually every upgrade/option listed in the brochure, we figure someone ordered it exactly the way they wanted it.
The carpet has been removed and a new hardwood floor installed. Very practical for us. Wish it had a tad more food storage area because the upgraded side by side fridge makes you give up the little pantry.

Regardless, we get a DP with a tad more horsepower! We take delivery this Friday. They had to order a Flexsteel ultra leather magic couch for us. As configured, it only slept 4. We are removing the recliner behine the passenger seat and installing a couch that will add 2 spots for sleeping. We have 9 grandkids, and want to take a bunch of them camping.

I'm going to go find a nice CB radio today and get that put in too. We are going to look for a jeep for a toad.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #4

Coastal Campers
Flooring

You said they upgraded the floor to wood, did they do the slides also in wood? Do you think you could post a photos?
I am closing on a 2002 tomorrow and I want to rip out the flooring, I am planning on using a glue down vinyl product that looks like wood.
Neal
Miami Fl
kenkolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkolen View Post
You said they upgraded the floor to wood, did they do the slides also in wood? Do you think you could post a photos?
I am closing on a 2002 tomorrow and I want to rip out the flooring, I am planning on using a glue down vinyl product that looks like wood.
Neal
Miami Fl
The slides were left as carpet. I will take some pics as soon as I can. We store it in an enclosed location a few miles from our home. I will say that the new laminate wood flooring makes the coach look virtually brand new.