RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

2007 Damon Daybreak

Hey guys, RV newbie here! I have been lurking for a while and reading/learning. Decided to make a post with some questions... bought a 2007 Damon Daybreak 3276 back in October and wanting to upgrade a few things.

#1) I took the old tube tv out of the front area above the windshield. I measured 26" wide and 22 ~3/4" tall opening. Any suggestions on what flat screen tvs to replace it with? Can I buy just any tv or does it have to be for 12v? Also any tips on how to mount a new one up there? Brackets...etc?

#2) Looking to replace the backup camera. Backup camera works great with the built in mic but the display is black/white and very hard to see sometimes. I measured the display as 5", so do I just need to buy one with a 5" display? Any advice on brands or going wireless? Something I can do myself or need to have an car audio type expert change?

#3) I noticed outside under one of the pass through storage areas a TV mount, I measured the width between the two hydraulic type rods to open/close as 39", any advice again on a tv size? I assume when I am not using it I should probably store it inside maybe under the master bed.

#4) Storing the motorhome on gravel, read a ton of posts but I noticed some at the storage facility are on gravel and a couple have a rubber mat under the tires. Advice on this? Where can I find the rubber mats they had?

#5) The refrigerator shelves and areas have some rust, any advice on where to find new shelves and remove the rust?

#6) Any advice on how to clean what looks like almost food or cigarette type ash burns on the day night shades? Any idea how to easily "fold" them back in each crease so they close easily?

Thanks again as always for your help!

rhwd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #2

Replacing the TV

I'm in the process of replacing the enclosure for the old tube TV and installing a flat screen. I carefully removed the old enclosure which left a huge hole with no bottom in the overhead cabinet. I'm making a new oak rail (bottom cross bar) and a new door and inner shelf. I'll put a piece of oak plywood up for the bottom of the opening, then attach an under-cabinet TV mount to that. The TV will store horizontally under the cabinet, then swing down for use. If you're handy at woodworking it will be simple. Otherwise, your local cabinet maker could do it for you. I'll have about $200 in the whole conversion, including the TV. If you open up that area, be sure to put some additional insulation behind the cabinets while you have it opened up. Good luck!

You might want to view this laying down till I can figure out how to rotate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170119_170712.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	149793  

JackF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I'll take a shot at a few of your items ...just my opinions and others will for sure disagree as we all have different ways of solving things.

1) Most RVs of 2007-vintage will have TVs on AC so yes, you can buy a "normal" flat-panel TV. There are a lot of threads on this forum about replacing TVs so I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses on how to go about it.

4) I use plywood. I suppose you can pick up a cheap rubber mat at a lot of places if that's the way you want to go.

5) Usually, the "rust" will come off with a little scrubber and some dishwashing liquid (I've attached a Youtube video of you want to take a look) but if dishwashing liquid doesn't take it off, try some baking soda and if that doesn't do it, I"m sure some Lime-A-Way or similar product will get it to where it will be satisfactory.

6) If they're cigarette burns, there may not be too much you can do. If food, you might first try dishwashing liquid again with a scrubber. If that doesn't do it, maybe a little Goof Off?

lol, and here's JackF's photo turned around so you don't have to lie on your back to view it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170119_170712  dd.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	149805  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

My apologies, for some reason, my post above appears truncated under certain conditions. Here it is in case you can't see it as it gives the explanation as to the reason I re-posted JackF's photo:

6) If they're cigarette burns, there may not be too much you can do. If food, you might first try dishwashing liquid again with a scrubber. If that doesn't do it, maybe a little Goof Off?

lol, and here's JackF's photo turned around so you don't have to lie on your back to view it:
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:53 AM   #5

I have much the same coach and the same Tv.

An rv tech I know cut the box flush then removed the excess side wall and mounted the flat piece back on with screws. He then placed some 2 by 4's and osb for mounting. We fitted a 32" lcd.

If we had not shortened the box it would have left a big gap.

Sent from my SM-N910V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 01-23-2017, 04:54 AM   #6

The photo shows how much was taken off the bottom. The tech did have to tighten up the upholstery on the bottom.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:55 AM   #7

The TV I had at home already and got a mounting bracket from Amazon.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #8

I the backup monitor free standing or dash mounted?

Old 04-13-2017, 06:18 AM   #9

Have you replaced the rear view monitor yet?

Cibelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon