Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My generator start switch is to the left of the steering column. It's great when driving but 'not good' in the morning when I have to crawl over the people in the hide a bed and jackknife sofa to start the genny so I can have my coffee. Any ever added a 2nd switch? I see on the Onan website, they now have a 'remote control to start the genny . Not cheap at $210 plus a Y connector which is probably expensive too. The only advantage this has for me is that I would'nt have to run the wires and install the new switch. Has Anyone did this?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My generator start switch is to the left of the steering column. It's great when driving but 'not good' in the morning when I have to crawl over the people in the hide a bed and jackknife sofa to start the genny so I can have my coffee. Any ever added a 2nd switch? I see on the Onan website, they now have a 'remote control to start the genny . Not cheap at $210 plus a Y connector which is probably expensive too. The only advantage this has for me is that I would'nt have to run the wires and install the new switch. Has Anyone did this?
Denver, Colorado
Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No One has added a 2nd remote generator starting switch? Has anyone thought about or wished they had one in the hallway?
Well I bought a Onan Remote Control start today. Not exactly what I wanted but very easy to install. No running wires and making a new switch look nice. I hope it works. Had to buy a Y connector, $50 and the remote control and sending unit, $150 so it was pretty expensive, alot more than if I would have mounted a 2nd switch. This Onan remote control is pretty new so I'll let you guys know how easy or hard it is to install, ( altho it looks like a 'piece of cake') and how it works.
It was just kind of a pain climbing over the hide a bed to get to the left side of the steering column to start the genny.
Oh Gosh, another dang remote control to try not to lose.
Denver, Colorado
Old 03-31-2007, 06:03 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
They make a device called a "Key finder" you can get at Sharper Image (among other places)

Stick one remote fob on each remote with glue and then you mounmt a box on the wall.. Press 1 for Awning remote 2 for front tv 3 for rear tv 4 for VCR 5 for DVD 6 for Radio 7 for antenna switch 8 for Generator or something like that
Old 03-31-2007, 02:54 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess theres not much interest besides me for a 2nd remote generator starter but the Onans EC-15W was very easy to install and works great.
John-D that sounds like a good 'universal remote' for things that are already remote controled maybe but I guarantee you it won't work my awning or generator unless they are made to be remote control operated. That's a completely different product.
Do many Damons have wireless remote controled awnings and generators?
Denver, Colorado
Old 03-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Uh you got it wrong, the KeyFinder (I think they sell a version called a Remote Finder as well) is for finding the blasted remotes, not for controlling things, it's just a radio controlled beeper

They also make a cat finder.. I have one for one of my cats, same principle, Push the button and her coller Beeps at me making her easy to spot.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ooooh!, well I gotta get one those, then. Oh I'd probably lose it too
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-01-2007, 05:10 AM   #8

speaking of remotes. We are heading out soon for our maiden voyage and where spending time in the coach to insure everything was just so. Mostly I was insureing that I knew how to work everything. Well to make a long story short I could not find the front tv remote and I know it worked with one during our pdi. 3 hours later I found it as it had fallen behind the vcr in the front right cabinet and somehow nestled below the wires. The things we do to wittle our time hehe

W&D+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:17 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing my wife did I approve of was put all the remotes in one place, every time, I can count on the remotes being there Makes a lot of money for my barber (since I don't pull my hair out looking for the (@*)#@)@(*#)@* REMOTE!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
I'm a bit confused. I can see the merits of having another remote switch. Isn't the switch just a momentary pushbutton that the operator has to 'hold' while the genny starts?? I think mine is that way. While I don't need to do it, I think adding another switch (momentary) in parallel would be simple to do and run the wire to the genny.??

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes , like you said, just run the wires parallel. Im sure I spent more money on the Y connector and the wireless remote control than I should have but it made it real easy.
When I asked about just wiring a 2nd switch in they said I could do it but do it past the remote connector where all 8 or so wires are white and I was afraid I might fry something. Even my factory remote switch is complicated with 8 wires going to 4 male connectors.
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-23-2007, 04:34 AM   #12

Onan makes a remote retrofit kit. Check it out here. http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/products/ec/
Here is another link that has them for sell.http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/o...mote-start.htm I believe you have to have that Y cable if you want to keep your existing start/stop. Not cheap, but pretty slick.
Sam
Old 04-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's exactly what I put in mine. Like you said it was'nt cheap, but it works great. I just keep the remote velcroed at the control station where the water pump switch, and etc.
I got tired of climbing over the hide a bed in the mornings to get the coffee brewing.
Denver, Colorado