RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Air Conditioner Selector Switch(s)

Hoping for some AC help here. We have one AC unit. We have two AC selector switches pictured below. I have only run the AC on Generator Power (have not had a chance to use the shore line) The switches are mounted under the dinner table seat, where my granddaughters feet can knock them when she is sitting at the table. There is a diagram showing the correct setting for the switches next to them. The diagram is for 2 air conditioners.

The AC was working great on generator with both switches in the up position until my granddaughter made contact with her foot and moved one (or more) of the switches to the down position.
At that point time, the AC shut off and would not turn back on. I checked breakers and fuses and turned off the generator and restarted. The AC did not start up again until i moved the 2 AC selector switches to the down position, which is supposed to be for when the power is from an external source (shore line). The AC works with the switches in the down position however the cooling is significantly decreased from what it was with the selectors in the up position.

I found another thread in this forum that talked about these switches but it was addressing a situation where there were 2 AC units operating and there seemed to be some thoughts that the diagram was incorrect.

Im confused with the diagram because i only have 1 AC unit and because it was working great with the switches in the up position and now it does not.

If anyone has a similar set up, id appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Rick & Christina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180706_195357.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	210213   Click image for larger version

Name:	air conditioner selector switch.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	210214  

RickJeffersn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #2

I don't own a Damon and I'm not familiar with these switches, but perhaps my electrical knowledge can be of some assistance here with some detective work.

Firstly... What kind of AC system do you have? Most coaches have a 120v AC system, although I suppose it is possible that you could have a 220 somehow, and if one of these switches somehow has internally failed and these are for the two hot leads, that could explain the slower / lesser cooling performance.

geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #3

You should give Thor a call, they helped me in the past with my Damon.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When the young one accidently moved the switch, did you promptly move it back? Your AC unit hated that! The compressor hates starting right after it stopped, against a pressurized high side. Most, if not all, AC units contain some start logic that will not allow the AC unit to start until some time, like 5 minutes, has elapsed since the unit was last shutdown to protect the compressor from starting against an already pressurized high side. Have you tried it after a good wait time?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
And, yes, you have only one AC unit, but you are wired for two! Good news! Are you a 30A coach?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
It is a 120v system
Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Thank you for the advice. I think that will be my next step. We are taking it out today for a couple of days where we will be able to plug into a shore line. I want to see how it behaves using that power source before i request any additional information.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
When the young one accidently moved the switch, did you promptly move it back? Your AC unit hated that! The compressor hates starting right after it stopped, against a pressurized high side. Most, if not all, AC units contain some start logic that will not allow the AC unit to start until some time, like 5 minutes, has elapsed since the unit was last shutdown to protect the compressor from starting against an already pressurized high side. Have you tried it after a good wait time?
my apologies, im still figuring out how to reply to messages. Im pretty sure that when the power went off, my wife would have immediately tried to turn it back on. Since then, we have had it running on generator power, and its cool air coming out, but not what it was or should be. it does not cool the coach down enough to be comfortable. Ive been at the rv every day getting ready for our first trip since that happened and the ac performance has remained the same.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
And, yes, you have only one AC unit, but you are wired for two! Good news! Are you a 30A coach?
Yes, its a 30 amp coach.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It appears to me that the right hand switch is broken!

Mike
Old 07-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #11

I agree check the switches
Daybreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:52 AM   #12

I would advice to contact professional technician . If you don't have any knowledge about A/C and how they work do not try to fix it by yourself you could broke it more and will through in the rubbish for sure . Guys from aircon service are able to fix any types of problem their team is dedicated and provide quality air conditioning services .
Papajohn2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:27 AM   #13

Have these switches on my 95 Damon Challenger. I also have the single large air conditioner that's ducted in the ceiling. With my set up....switches up when running the air on the generator....switches down when plugged in for shore tie. And as mentioned before there should be a 5 minute delay for restart on the air after it shuts off. Sounds like the switch that was flipped might have internally arched and fused....the air shouldn't run in the down position on generator so something happened....as I mentioned...might have arched and fused internally and feeding both ways at a reduced voltage now. I myself had this happen with my young daughter and had to end up replacing the switches.

sjweave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner, switch