Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Air dump solenoid doesn't close

The rig: 2008 Damon Tuscany on the FL XC chassis, Cummins ISC 360, LCI hydraulic leveling system.

The LCI pump motor is faulty and I have ordered a replacement part. The jacks are retracted. The control pad behaves normally and I have no reason to suspect the controller. However, the "jacks down" light is on and the air dump valve is open which is preventing the accumulation of air pressure for the suspension and brakes. I need to figure out how to close that valve.

Have you seen this situation before? Is there a workaround to trigger that valve to close?

thanks.
Paul
pmpurcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #2

Good day pmpurcell,
Yes, I have experienced this problem on my previous 2010 Newmar. In my case, the dump valve is located near or on the front axle. It is operated by a 12 volt signal to open or close. You may be lucky by just "tapping it" with a hammer to get it moving.

This looks like a "classic case" of having moisture in the air system. Have you had the Air Dryer filter replaced? If not, it would be prudent to replace it. Also, do you release the air from the system using the lanyards? Good preventive maintenance item to perform periodically.
Although you may be able to temporarily get it going with a tap, I would recommend replacing it. Contact Freightliner for the part, as each frame uses a particular part number.
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Although I am due for the air dryer service, I pull the lanyards regularly. The PO may not have been so diligent. Thank you. I'll try this. My local FL dealer has the part in stock.

Thanks.
P
Old 11-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpurcell View Post
However, the "jacks down" light is on and the air dump valve is open which is preventing the accumulation of air pressure for the suspension and brakes. I need to figure out how to close that valve.
Have you seen this situation before? Is there a workaround to trigger that valve to close?
Here's a workaround that has worked for me the couple of times my dump valve stuck. Put the engine in high idle with the cruise control to build air pressure faster. The valve seems to need at least 75psi to close. Cycle the suspension dump and raise valve or switch several times. I don't know hos your suspension is controlled, but you should have a dump/raise switch or store/travel button. Switching that back and forth a few times freed mine up.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1799.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	224714

Here’s the little bugger. There are two red buttons; one on each end. The left button, I’m told by FL opens the valve to dump air and the right button closes to fill. To test that, I need to be under the rig while it running. Yeah, about that...

I’m picking up the new part to replace the malfunctioning part. So that sliding under while it’s running thing is a non-issue.

Thanks for the help. If you’re in South Texas next week, I’m buying.

P
Old 11-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Problem solved. Thanks, guys.

Tags
air, solenoid