Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #1

Air hose wisdom

I should be clear: I am seeking wisdom cause I have none to give

I was thinking about getting an air hose and tire chuck to keep in the coach for tire inflation.

Do the hoses come in a standard diameter? Anyone have any insight on the type of air chuck (I think that is what they are called) to get?

Is this a useful addition?

thanks in advance for your replies
Tim
Largeorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #2

Largeorange
Air hoses come in all sizes, as do the quick disconnects. I take it that you have a bus with air brakes, if so this will be an easy project for you. My Tiffin came with a quick disconnect for an air line already an a male quick disconect for the hose. If you have a quick disconnect but no male end for it make sure you get the right one.

I bought my air hose off of Ebay for less than 50$. Hope this helps

Vern
Mvlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #3

There are two size hoses to consider, 3/8" and 1/2" ID, inside diameter. For your applaction either one would work. IMHO stay away from plastic hose. It can be a big pain to use when it gets cold. It wants to stay coiled up and has a mind of its own. The best choice is a rubber hose. It's very flexable and easy to coil and work with even in freezing temps. The hose will come without air connectors, just threaded ends. You will need to buy the right type connectors to match the fitting on your MH. There are different styles of air hose connectors. Not all of them interchange with each other. The most common is the "M" type.
You will need to get a truck type air chuck, an air chuck with a long shank. It comes without a hose fitting, just a threaded end. The best place to buy it would a truck/auto parts store or a farm supply store such as TSC.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can get everything you need at a Harbor freight store. To make life easier get new quick connects that match. If there arte none in your area, I would think an auto parts store could help.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #5

Thanks, folks, for the quick reply. I appreciate the help.
Largeorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largeorange View Post
I should be clear: I am seeking wisdom cause I have none to give

I was thinking about getting an air hose and tire chuck to keep in the coach for tire inflation.

Do the hoses come in a standard diameter? Anyone have any insight on the type of air chuck (I think that is what they are called) to get?

Is this a useful addition?

thanks in advance for your replies
Tim
Tim,

I don't have air brakes but agree with everyone else that a rubber hose is far superior. I replaced the coiled plastic air hose that came with my compressor for a rubber one. I also use a standard trucker's air chuck with the built in gauge.

Like the top one only;
From Harbor Freight.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I agree with the previous poster(s), try to use "M" style plugs and couplers with your hoses as it's the most commonly used type. However, on the threaded ends, the size is usually 1/4" or 3/8". In 1/4", the Milton stock numbers for "M" style plugs are 727 (male) & 728 (female). For the couplers, it's 715 (female) & 716 (male). You can also buy the plug/coupler as a "package deal" (one 727 and one 715)- it's stock number is 711.

Most hoses come pre-cut with the threaded ends already on them so all you should need is the appropriate plug/coupler. I would suggest a minimum of 50 (and longer) feet to ensure you can reach all your tires, including whatever you're towing. The plug will go on the air inlet side and the coupler on the air outlet side. You may also need a plug for the air chuck too.

Horrible Freight is OK, but if you want quality and longevity, look for Milton. That's what I buy.

https://miltonindustries.com/Home.html
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #8

How often are you planning to use your air supply and hose? I ask only because it may not be worth the extra cost and weight of a rubber hose. I have a large 5th wheel and my TV has on board air, an air tank, and a quick connect fitting to attach hoses etc. In the 4 years since I installed it I have used it once.

I am extremely concerned about carrying excess weight in the 5er so I choose, given how infrequently I actually use the hose, a cheap plastic coiled air hose. I spray exotic cars in my free time and use quality hoses like Goodyear 1/2 hose for that and Milton fittings because I expect performance with my 7 1/2 HP dual stage compressor and my 3 750$ SATA spray guns, but in my 5er... I'm way more concerned about weight. That 50 foot Goodyear hose probably weighs in a 30-40 lbs and costs about 150$ coiled up compared to the cheap Harbor Freight coiled hose at about 1 lb and way less space. I currently have Goodyear hoses that are in excess of 30 years old, they are worn and frayed and they are the best, but not for my RV. I can only assume you motor home folks never worry about excess weight with tile floors and solid surface counters but in a 5er, weight is your enemy.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #9

My 50ft. rubber air hose with quick disconnects and bungee ball wrap is 7.2lbs.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #10

Where is the air connection on our coachs? I own the Astoria and didnt know this feature existed.
Sayonara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #11

Hi, Lowes and Home Depot also carry a full line of air hoses and couplings.
Their prices are competitive as well, often on sale along with fittings.
Unless you are planning to use the air hose in a pro shop don't over buy. Any set will last 10 years with the kind of use an RV will require. Also be realistic with the length of hose you need depending upon where you hook it up 25' or 50' will usually work fine, in fact I use the poly self storing type, works great I can reach all the tires unless I have a Toad or Dolly then I would need an extra 25' to hook together which is easier then dragging out a 50' each time.
This is what works for me your needs may be different.
Robert
Old 09-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara View Post
Where is the air connection on our coachs? I own the Astoria and didnt know this feature existed.
front firewall above and to the left of the genny. it is about eye level, a manifold with a few lines in and a female chuck already installed
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though hoses do come in several diamaters the threaded fittings on the end are fairly standard.. I don't think you will have a problem there

As for the quick disconnect.. Those come in an entire alphabet of different sizes and shapes.. You need to do one of the following

1 IF you do not already have an adapter on your compressor or air line.. Buy one and NOTE THE LETTER CODE.. IE "M"

Then make sure all devices and fittings have the same letter code

And you will do just fine.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #14

For those that are going to add a quick connect fitting I strongly suggest that you also place a lever handle shut off valve before the disconnect. Disconnects do leak air!

Also when using the air hose you need to set your cruise control to set your engine speed to a fast idle.
mandalayjim is offline   Reply With Quote