Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Another Tire pressure question

I am the proud new owner of a 2008 Damon Astoria. We picked up the unit in Florida and drove it back to Oregon. I had read a forum post prior to purchasing the unit that said 110 psi is a good pressure for the tires even though it is placarded at 120. Goodyear put out a manual stating 110 was a good tire pressure for this application. After 2000 miles, I am seeing distinct signs of over inflation wear in the tread of the front tires. The tires are due to be changed out due to their age, but I certainly do not want to replace the tires again after putting new tires on. I am thinking 90psi on the front. What are you other Astoria owners running for tire pressure?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Another Tire pressure question

The only way to be sure of the proper pressure is to have the MH weighed. Four corners is the best however axle weight will suffice until you can .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #3

There is a placard in the coach that lists the tire pressure and gvwr and then stamped on the tire is the max weight the tire can support a long with the pressure. Which placard are u referring to ?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ironically, both the placard on the vehicle and the tire say 120.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I will get a weight on the vehicle today. What is the advantage of a four corner weight?, and who does it?
Old 11-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #6

You must weigh 4 corners as no axel will have equal weights. On each axel take the heaviest corner and double the figure then look it up in the tire chart to get your ideal pressure.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I could not get 4 corners, so I took the axle weight and
added five PSI to the chart pressure for all the tires
on that axle. Worked fine for 80K.
JMHO
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #8

Money well spent would be to take it to Henderson Align in Grants Pass and get a Road Assessment which includes 4 corner weighing, pressure recommendation. under carriage inspection and a written report of suggestions with a cost estimate for each. You can ignore the suggestions, do them yourself or have Henderson do some or all. Your choice.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I was going to be going through Grants Pass in the next couple of days, but our plans are changing. Do you have a recommendation for the Eugene/Springfield area?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
Money well spent would be to take it to Henderson Align in Grants Pass and get a Road Assessment which includes 4 corner weighing, pressure recommendation. under carriage inspection and a written report of suggestions with a cost estimate for each. You can ignore the suggestions, do them yourself or have Henderson do some or all. Your choice.
+1 on alignment check.
What kind of tread wear are you seeing.....is the center of the tread being worn out?
From everything I have read, playing with the PSI affects the ride (as long as you don't over/under inflate.

Regards,

Dan
Old 11-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Yes, there is wear down the center. The edges look good, but your post reminded me that I do feel a little bit of "clunking" through the steering wheel at times. I guessed this to be normal. Is it?
Old 11-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
Yes, there is wear down the center. The edges look good, but your post reminded me that I do feel a little bit of "clunking" through the steering wheel at times. I guessed this to be normal. Is it?
The "Normal" explanation for this is Over inflation.
but I have never heard of a tire being over inflated if it was within the load table inflation pressure...or below the max pressure listed on the tire.

These tire treads are so thick that it seems it would need to be WAY OVER inflated to reduce the footprint to only the center of the tire.

And why wouldn't the rear tires do the same...if you used the same inflation tables.
This is confusing...and you sure don't want to ruin new tires.

Dan
Old 11-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
The "Normal" explanation for this is Over inflation.
but I have never heard of a tire being over inflated if it was within the load table inflation pressure...or below the max pressure listed on the tire.
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV truck size tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire. NHTSA defines a truck tire as those used on anything with a GVWR of 10,000#'s or more.

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
Quote:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
From TOYO:
Quote:
Q: What are the consequences of inflating the tires to accommodate the actual loads?
A: If the inflation pressure corresponds to the actual tire load according to the tire manufacturer’s load and pressure table, the tire will be running at 100% of its rated load at that pressure. This practice may not provide sufficient safety margin. Any air pressure loss below the minimum required to carry the load can result in eventual tire failure.
But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:
Quote:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
From our owners manual:
Quote:
Federal law requires that the tire’s maximum load rating be molded into the sidewall of the tire.
If you look there, you will see the maximum load allowed and the cold air inflation pressure required to carry that stated maximum load. Less air pressure restricts the tire to carry a lighter load.
My owners manual says:
Quote:
Tire Industry Changes
The tire industry, as a whole, has changed its traditional stance on adjusting cold tire inflation pressure for RV tires installed on recreational vehicles and busses. Previously, tire manufacturers supported a policy where tire inflation could be adjusted according to the actual loaded weight of the vehicle. Now, the major tire manufacturers recommend that medium duty truck tires be maintained at the pressure that corresponds to the Gross Axle Weight Rating for the axle to which they are mounted. To make this recommendation uniform across the industry, tire manufacturers strongly urge the consumer to keep all tires inflated to the pressures recorded on the Federal Tire Label.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Mr D and dpinvidic, I am really confused now. According to the placarded weight and the Goodyear manual for the tires I have, 110 is a good pressure, but this pressure brought significant wear down the center of front tires. I think I am going to be able to get that weight tomorrow (so far, my best laid plans keep going awry). I definitely want re-engage on this.

Tags
tire pressure