Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #1

Aqua hot vs furnace system

I need some help. DW likes the 2014 Tuscany with the Aqua Hot system and Whisper Air AC. I like the 2014 Tuscany XTE with std furnace/AC etc. Now keeping DW happy is important but the $$$ difference is important also. What advantages/disadvantages does the Aqua Hot system have? Our current MH has the standard furnace/AC systems so I am familiar with them. Thanks for any comments and help.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Aqua Hot uses diesel fuel, like a home heating oil system,
and it also provides hot water using the same burner.
Std furnace uses propane, and most folks uses electric
space heaters until it gets real cold. Electric is free
at most campgrounds.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
I need some help. DW likes the 2014 Tuscany with the Aqua Hot system and Whisper Air AC. I like the 2014 Tuscany XTE with std furnace/AC etc. Now keeping DW happy is important but the $$$ difference is important also. What advantages/disadvantages does the Aqua Hot system have? Our current MH has the standard furnace/AC systems so I am familiar with them. Thanks for any comments and help.
There are different AquaHot models. The AquaHot models fueled by diesel with either one or two electric elements also are wonderful and way ahead of separate hot water heaters and LP furnace in performance. The LP fired AquaHot is much less desirable and I would not spend much above the standard separates for it.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately, RV manufacturers are now using a smaller and cheaper Aqua-Hot in some RV's and they are also using LPG Aqua-Hot units in other RV's.

I have an older version of Aqua-Hot that is awesome however, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for the smaller diesel units or the LPG versions.

The small diesel Aqua-Hot would be my choice over the LPG unit however, it gives priority to HOT WATER versus coach heat. So when using a lot of hot water your baseboard heating system will turn off.

I would not have a coach without Aqua-Hot but it has to be a decent size and burn diesel.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
There are different AquaHot models. The AquaHot models fueled by diesel with either one or two electric elements also are wonderful and way ahead of separate hot water heaters and LP furnace in performance. The LP fired AquaHot is much less desirable and I would not spend much above the standard separates for it.
X2 on Steves comments. Hydronic heat/hot water is a thing of beauty. Shower for as long as you want to. Run dishwasher and washing machine at the same time. Would not want LP Aqua Hot.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Thanks a lot for the information. Next question if you have time? How reliable is the Aqua Hot system and is there a specific manufacturer to choose or reject? Since I am looking at the new Tuscany I assume I get what they install but it would be nice to know what system that is.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the information. Next question if you have time? How reliable is the Aqua Hot system and is there a specific manufacturer to choose or reject? Since I am looking at the new Tuscany I assume I get what they install but it would be nice to know what system that is.
We love our Aqua Hot. The two main manufacturers (AFAIK) are Aqua Hot and Oasis. Based on my research and what I have read on these forums, Aqua Hot is a respected brand and is reliable. It is a complicated system when compared to a simple LP hot air furnace and it seems to work best when it is regularly used and/or exercised. It is much more quiet that any LP forced air furnace I've ever had in any RV.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #8

Quote:
I can only speak from my experience. The AquaHot units require periodic service. The diesel burner nozzle and fuel filter must be replaces as necessary. The manufacturer suggests a 12 month cycle. My experience indicates 18-24 months. My wife and I have lived full time in our AquaHot equipped coach for 7 years now. I would not willingly give up my AquaHot. I do my own service. It takes about an hour and the parts are under $50. The unit used in the big Tuscany is the 400D which has one electric element and a diesel burner. It is rated to produce 1.25 gallons of hot water per minute basically forever. Under conditions of high hot water demand the furnace will be disabled until the hot water demand is over. The larger 600 units can provide both at the same time. The 400D is a good unit. I'm currently in the deep freeze of east Tn and have had several night of zero degrees with not much warm up for days. The AquaHot has kept us toasty.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Other advantages to Aqua hot, your engine will provide hot water and heat while traveling and you can pre heat engine with Aqua hot. I love mine. I replaced the fuel pump on a previous coach, that is the only problem so far. Like everything else, it needs maintiance.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have a Hydra-Hot, the predecessor to Aqua-Hot. We love it. It provides unlimited hot water, keeps us nice and warm on those cold days and nights and if I want to leave on a cold morning I just throw the Engine Pre-Heat switch when we get up and within an hour or so engine temp is at or above 100 degrees and the engine starts just like it's been running all night long.

We've had our coach for 2 1/2 years and just had the Hydra Hot serviced for the first time. It was just starting to smoke a bit.

I don't know about your wife, but mine hates when she has to take 'Navy Showers' and I hate having to listen to her when she does. With the Hydra-Hot she only has to when we don't have a sewer hookup and that isn't very often. I'm a firm believe in the old adage, "When Mama's happy, everybody's happy".
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have the 400 Aqua Hot in our coach, not sure what is the smaller unsatisfactory system mentioned by Steve is? Fact, we have used our 400D unit almost 24/7 for the past 25 months without any problems. Professional RIVA techs I have enlisted state " the system needs to be used 24/7 to insure minimum issues". The scheduled maintenance according to the techs is, " if you see soot service." Personally I and my wife would not buy a coach without this system. As a note our previous coach did NOT have hydronic heating or hot water control but propane. We highly recommend hydronic, Aqua Hot systems, not so sure about the propane fueled Aqua Hot, there are several topics discussing this system, use the search mode at the top of the home page.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
We have the 400 Aqua Hot in our coach, not sure what is the smaller unsatisfactory system mentioned by Steve is? Fact, we have used our 400D unit almost 24/7 for the past 25 months without any problems. Professional RIVA techs I have enlisted state " the system needs to be used 24/7 to insure minimum issues". The scheduled maintenance according to the techs is, " if you see soot service." Personally I and my wife would not buy a coach without this system. As a note our previous coach did NOT have hydronic heating or hot water control but propane. We highly recommend hydronic, Aqua Hot systems, not so sure about the propane fueled Aqua Hot, there are several topics discussing this system, use the search mode at the top of the home page.
Hay Clayobx,

The only AquaHot I would not want, based on reports of others, is the LP version. The diesel fired versions are all fine performers. The 400D and 450D are based on the old HydroHot models and have a roughly 5 gal capacity boiler tank which prioritizes hot water when demand is high. The 600 series units are the old AquaHot model with a 16 gal capacity boiler tank. Due to the large volume of coolant available, it will provide hot water and coach heat at the same time.

I have learned this winter that gelled fuel is not the friend of the AquaHot and at zero you need a large dose of anti-gel.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our Revolution has what has been referred to here, one of the "smaller" units, a 375D. It does not have the engine loop (can not use engine heat or visa versa). That said, we're currently very happy with it.

We're in central Florida where it's been well below normal temps most of the winter. Nothing like our old Wisconsin home, but frequent morning temps in the 30s. We've been nice and toasty, even those mornings where it has dipped into the 20s, we do all of our laundry in the motorhome, and are not the least concerned about the length of our showers.

Those around us with LP furnaces are having to seek out frequent refills. The LP furnaces in our past RVs were extremely noisy, to the point they'd wake me when they lit off in the middle of the night. After topping off the fuel tank recently I calculated my Aquahot diesel use at under 2.5 gallons per week. I could sit here for 6 months at that rate and use just over 1/3 of a tank of fuel.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace