Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2016, 07:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Batteries - 1996 Damon Ultrasport

HI

My batteries need to be replaced. I know the two 12v but should I buy a higher volt battery for the engine? Someone looked at the current battery and thought it was not enough. Can someone guide me? I do not live in cold climate so starting is not an issue. Florida based.

Thanks!

sherry
sharlanfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #2

If you have a 12 Volt Battery (as most in fact do) you must replace it with a 12 volt battery.

If the battery is use only to power the motor and for starting then select a higher
"CCA" (cold cranking AMPS) rated battery. This battery is a standard automotive battery of the liquid acid type.

If the battery is used primarily to power the RV systems then select a higher
"AMP Hour" battery (above 100 AH). Also consider an "AGM " Sealed Asorbed Glass Matt Battery. These can be sent UPS or Fed Ex so shop for one on Amazon.com for the best buy...expect to spend about $150 thru Amazon.com.
This battery is in the "Deep Cycle" group and can withstand repeated discharge/recharge cycles. Warning: Never discharge a battery down to zero...if you do the battery is toast.
Batteries last an average of 3 to 5 years for a lead liquid acid battery and about 5 to 8 years for an "AGM" sealed Asorbed glass Matt sealed deep cycle battery.

Confused ? Then you are normal. Suggest you read the very educational
"The 12 Volt side of life". Just google it and read and learn. This should be required reading for all RV owners.

Good Luck and happy camping !
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
If you have a 12 Volt Battery (as most in fact do) you must replace it with a 12 volt battery.

If the battery is use only to power the motor and for starting then select a higher
"CCA" (cold cranking AMPS) rated battery. This battery is a standard automotive battery of the liquid acid type.

If the battery is used primarily to power the RV systems then select a higher
"AMP Hour" battery (above 100 AH). Also consider an "AGM " Sealed Asorbed Glass Matt Battery. These can be sent UPS or Fed Ex so shop for one on Amazon.com for the best buy...expect to spend about $150 thru Amazon.com.
This battery is in the "Deep Cycle" group and can withstand repeated discharge/recharge cycles. Warning: Never discharge a battery down to zero...if you do the battery is toast.
Batteries last an average of 3 to 5 years for a lead liquid acid battery and about 5 to 8 years for an "AGM" sealed Asorbed glass Matt sealed deep cycle battery.

Confused ? Then you are normal. Suggest you read the very educational
"The 12 Volt side of life". Just google it and read and learn. This should be required reading for all RV owners.

Good Luck and happy camping !
What he said ^^^^^^^^
Old 11-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Battery

Thanks for all your suggestions. I need both a chassis and house batteries. I found this one:
Duracell® AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 34M 12V. Model #: SL34MAGM

Can this be used as a chassis battery or only as house batteries? I don't want to put the wrong battery in for the chassis battery.

Old motorhome 1996 and all batteries are dead at the moment.

Thanks again!

sherry

Old 11-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
It is OK for house battery ...You do not need a deep cycle battery for the chassis battery.

12VDC with 600 to 650 cold crank amps would be fine. At any auto parts store.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #6

Sherry, Sad fact is any Motorhomes made in 1996 that might have original batteries would have batteries that were dead...gone forever.
Lead acid batteries last an average of from 3 years to 6 years...sad fact but true.
You should budget to replace batteries on that time table on a regular basis.

The AGM battery you selected would be just fine as a "house battery".
For general automotive use (starting Motorhomes engine) go to a store like
Advanced Auto or Auto Zone and they will guide you in selecting a battery with the required CCA (cold cranking amps) for your engine. They will also guarantee that battery for a specific number of years....guarantee is for engine battery not for "house battery".

Did you read the website: The 12 volt side of life ??? If you do you will know more than most of the folks on this website will ever know.

I purchased an excellent Deep Cycle 100AH 12 volt AGM battery through Amazon.com earlier this year.
Universal Battery: model UB121000 AGM 12 volt 100AH
Cost delivered with two year warranty was about $150.
This battery had dozens of excellent reviews from RV owners and solar power applications. I am very pleased with mine.
You can't beat Amazon for selection and price.

Good Luck and Happy Camping !
Old 11-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlanfl View Post
HI

My batteries need to be replaced. I know the two 12v but should I buy a higher volt battery for the engine? Someone looked at the current battery and thought it was not enough. Can someone guide me? I do not live in cold climate so starting is not an issue. Florida based.

Thanks!

sherry
you sure your house batteries are 12v not 6
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:56 AM   #8

The 2 house batteries in my 97 Damon are 6 volt
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Taken From the 1996 Damon manual it states that the auxiliary or house batteries are dual 12 volt batteries to provide living area power requirements

Maintenance and service page 25. I do have this copied in a PDF file if anyone would like a copy.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #10

Two 6 volt batteries = one 12 volt battery......class dismissed.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
Two 6 volt batteries = one 12 volt battery......class dismissed.
Book reads Dual 12Vdc not two 6v that = one 12v.....class dismissed.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Batteries

I also read it was 2 12v batteries. I just didn't know if the house batteries have to be special batteries or just 12v.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #13

Batteries

Just sayin' My 2000 Damon Daybreak has one 12 v automotive type battery for the chassis (starts the engine) and two 6v deep cycle wired together to provide a total of 12 volts for the house lights, water pump etc.

How many cells (water caps) does each of your house batteries have? 3 caps=6v. 6 caps = 12 v

If you can get your MH started, take it to someone like an Interstate Battery store and have them look it over, they can make a recommendation for you.

Lets not make it more difficult than it has to be. Not picking on you but if you are not familiar with this or are not comfortable with it. take it to or have a mobile tech come to you.
Oldrod 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #14

Fact is 2 6 volt golf cart type batteries wired together have always been considered better than one 12 volt battery.

In the case of this "Damon Daybreak" motor home the specifications seem to suggest that the system works best with two 12 volt batteries....that may be correct but not required on any RV I have ever owned.

If two 6 volt batteries wired together = one 12 volt battery then I might assume that if you add yet another two 6 volt batteries wired together the result would be equal to two 12 volt batteries....all this assumes you need two 12 volt batteries and have the physical space to accommodate the 4 6 volt batteries.

For more information on this subject and DC batteries in general visit the website: ....the 12 volt side of life.

Tags
batteries, damon