Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thumbs down Battery Issues

I have a 1995 2756 Ultrasport. Low mileage and runs great, but...coach battery has gone bad, won't take a charge. I can start the generator if the engine is running, but if I turn off the engine, generator dies. I plan on replacing the coach battery tomorrow, but wondering why and how the batteries are interconnected and where I check for the converter as I have never had 110 when I'm just on the generator. All advice and help greatly appreciated. Just a senior lady on the road.
lankylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
The batteries are connected in relays located inside the Battery control center located in the front of the RV opposite side of the chassis battery. a black square box. The Genny starts off the chassis battery. On the dash you will find a button that when pushed and held in will start the gen or engine from the coach battery. Mine is a silver push button.

on the last page of this link you will find the wiring diagram

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6_...dMNU5NVTQ/view
Old 05-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am reading 3 problems.

No 110v AC from generator (as stated)
Coach battery dead (as stated)
House battery dead (generator stops if engine is shut-off).

The chassis and house batteries are inter-connected through the Battery Control Center. This device has 3 primary functions:
-House battery disconnect
-Auxiliary start
- Interconnect charging of the house and chassis battery banks.

Without a system check of the batteries and BCC, diagnosis is difficult.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #4

Look near the power cord storage area for an outlet that the plug can fit in to. Some MHs don't have an automatic transfer switch. Plugging it in may get the generator power to the outlets and converter.

Most generators start and run off the coach battery.

When the engine is running, the 2 batteries connect. When you shut it off they disconnect, removing power from your generator. Take means the battery is totally dead or not connected.

Have the coach battery tested before replacing it and make sure the disconnect is on.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
battery issues

I have tested the coach battery (house?) battery and it is totally dead. I disconnected it and that'a when the generator wouldn't keep running if I cut off the engine. Don't know where to find a "disconnect switch"

I also don't know what you mean by a place to plug in the cord. Are you referring to the land power cord?

Thank you for replying to me.
lankylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #6

Yes, the land power cord may need to be plugged into an outlet in it's storage compartment. Look for an outlet that matchs the plug.

The generator needs a battery to run. With it out and no power to the converter, it will not run.

The generator starts and runs, with the engine running, because the key turns on a relay that sends power from the starter battery to the coach battery.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

The reason the generator ran with the old battery hooked up is, when the generator is running the converter is supplying 12 volts to the coach and the dead battery. With that battery disconnected you need to have the POS cable isolated or you're going to cause yourself more problems if it touches ground. If you are going to run anything without that battery.

Your coach may not have a disconnect switch, my 95 Challenger did NOT, but it had an automatic transfer switch. Yours must have one too if you didn't plug the cord in anywhere.

My 95 Challenger also didn't have a BCC, instead it had 2 isolation solenoids, one controlled by the emergency start switch and one controlled by the ignition switch in the run position. It charged the house batteries from the ALT but didn't charge the chassis battery when plugged it.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery