Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi again!

From my past experiences.

After fixing the front topper bracket on my 2002 Challenger I decided to find the cause of the squeak that was coming from the area of the front overhead TV.

I removed the padded frame around the TV - first, remove the vinyl covered caps which are over the mounting screws (I used a flat screw driver blade wrapped in tape to pry the four caps off). Then remove the 4 visible screws and snaps. Inside each of the holes you will also find another screw that also helps secure the frame to the cabinet. These eight screws are all square headed.

With the frame finally off, I spotted the problem. The metal brackets on top of the TV were loose causing it to move.

The TV is held in place by two screws driven up through the floor of the wooden cabinet into the TV base and by two L-shaped metal brackets held in place by two screws on the top of the TV and two screws on the wood frame (4 screws in all for each bracket). Unplug the TV and shove the electrical plug and TV cable through the hole in the left wall of the cabinet above the passenger seat. Carefully remove one screw from each top bracket, then remove the two bottom screws. Using a helper to help hold the TV in place, remove the two remaining screws in the brackets and carefully remove the TV slowly working the wires out of the hole. You may want to put a towel on the dash so that you can put the TV on the dash during this process.

The 2 L-shaped brackets are each held in place by two #8x3/4" screws. In each bracket I found one screw that had enlarged the hole and in fact was doing nothing to attach the bracket to the TV. I replaced these screws with #10x3/4" (do not increase the length because you must stay away from bits inside the TV) and snugged them down

Installation is the reverse of removal. The first thing you must do is thread the cables back through the wall of the cabinet. Use a helper during the installation process so that you do not drop the TV.

Another problem solved - I now have to tackle a drawer problem. Report to follow.

Preston

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi again!

From my past experiences.

After fixing the front topper bracket on my 2002 Challenger I decided to find the cause of the squeak that was coming from the area of the front overhead TV.

I removed the padded frame around the TV - first, remove the vinyl covered caps which are over the mounting screws (I used a flat screw driver blade wrapped in tape to pry the four caps off). Then remove the 4 visible screws and snaps. Inside each of the holes you will also find another screw that also helps secure the frame to the cabinet. These eight screws are all square headed.

With the frame finally off, I spotted the problem. The metal brackets on top of the TV were loose causing it to move.

The TV is held in place by two screws driven up through the floor of the wooden cabinet into the TV base and by two L-shaped metal brackets held in place by two screws on the top of the TV and two screws on the wood frame (4 screws in all for each bracket). Unplug the TV and shove the electrical plug and TV cable through the hole in the left wall of the cabinet above the passenger seat. Carefully remove one screw from each top bracket, then remove the two bottom screws. Using a helper to help hold the TV in place, remove the two remaining screws in the brackets and carefully remove the TV slowly working the wires out of the hole. You may want to put a towel on the dash so that you can put the TV on the dash during this process.

The 2 L-shaped brackets are each held in place by two #8x3/4" screws. In each bracket I found one screw that had enlarged the hole and in fact was doing nothing to attach the bracket to the TV. I replaced these screws with #10x3/4" (do not increase the length because you must stay away from bits inside the TV) and snugged them down

Installation is the reverse of removal. The first thing you must do is thread the cables back through the wall of the cabinet. Use a helper during the installation process so that you do not drop the TV.

Another problem solved - I now have to tackle a drawer problem. Report to follow.

Preston

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #3

I have a 2000 Intruder and the TV has worked loose from the right top bracked, and the side screws are broken as well. I removed the six buttons, and the screws behind them, but the front cover is still secured on the right and left sides. I removed a couple of buttons and screws from the side panels, which did not help. I have not removed any screws from the inside (behind the front cover). Am I going to have to completely remove the support and TV to get those top brackets reattached? Thanks.
Steve P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #4

Hi, I just did the same thing on my daybreak,after u take out the screws under the caps on the front, there are hidden screws in the same holes,u cant see them, but if u put the screwdriver in the hole u can feel them.On mine they were to the outside of each one i took out first, two bottom screws on mine.Hope this helps.. Happy Camping
Bill Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #5

No, I got those screws out, too, as I removed the buttons. I have taken out at least 8 screws, but the cover is stuck on the right and left sides. Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #6

Hi Steve! When I took my trim off for the first time...before I knew there were 8 screws...I was in the same boat as you. I used a scraper, gently sliding it between the trim and the housing inch by inch. I quickly located four areas where something was holding the trim on. I looked on the face side and again, gently probed with a small phillips screwdriver until I felt the head of the screw. I was amazed that I really couldn't see where the screws were when I looked at the front.
I'm thinking the extra screws were added at some point after the coach left the factory.

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #7

How hard is it to remove the entire center wood box that houses the TV. I am looking into getting a HD LCD, and the aspect ratio relative to the size of the box (Rectangle vs square) is forcing me to get a smaller TV to make do with the opening. I can remove the box and make a new one that is sized correctly would be my first choice, if it would not require complete disassembly of the cabinets on top. If i could just "Surgically" remove that center box, I could do wonders. I have an 06 Daybreak. Has anyone attempted such an upgrade? If so what would you rate is on a scale of difficulty.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #8

Hi Bill, I am in the process, although not too far yet, of replacing both TV's with flat screens. I have done some measuring and searching for TV's. At this point, I have both TV's out, but nothing else. First, I think it would be really difficult to remove TV box. The distance between doors on the front compartments of our Daybreak is 28". A 26" Vizio is 26" wide and about 17 & 3/4" high and 3 1/2" deep. My plans are to frame inside the box to be able to install a wall hung bracket and hang the TV. It will be slightly away from the Oak framing , but will cover most everything except the bottom. So far I'm thinking of just making a padded filler about 8" high and the width of the box bottom to match the surounding padding. At this point, I'm not in a hurry to do this, but plan on haveing it done before April. John H....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #9

Thanks for the earlier responsed. After a few more trips back to the camper, I did some work with a pry bar and hacksaw to get past the remaining srews. Once I did that, the TV was loose and I could slid it out if the front face. The front outer vinyl and the bottom vlnyl cover dropped down. I disconneced the cable and the TV was free except for the power cord. Since I was by myself, and after getting some larger replacement srews, I routed the power cord over the top of the front panel, lifted the TV over and into the cabinet, which allowed me to replace the four screws securing the bracket to the TV. (I had already mounted the bracket back on to the TV itself). Putting back the screws and buttons was easy. Even after putting everything back in place, I still don't know how those srews that were giving me trouble were put in place by the factory, but everything is now in place and secure.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
On my '95' daybreak, the TV WAS an older audiovox standard 13 in mounted in a box. It was held in place by three L-shaped brackets, 'screwed' directly into the plastic housing of the TV and the front edge of the box. One of the L brackets was not doing anything, the screw missed the edge of the wood. I removed all necessary 'button' caps and vinyl holders, front and sides. I have replaced the TV with a new DTC flat panel 19 in. Part of the back of the new DTC fits in the old hole, and I rigged a holding bracket into the 'wall-mount' positions on the new DTC. The install came out real well and now have a DVD play (separate) in adjacent cabinet. Put the vinyl sides back on, and made a new piece for the front where it didn't quite cover the original hole area. Its stained to match the original cabinetry.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a suggestion:

While doing all that work: Upgrade to a new digital ready TV

« gen set | steps »