RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Black tank "deposits" getting stuck.

I tried looking through the threads but can't find a similar issue. I have a 2009 Damon Daybreak and when we flush the toilet, things tend to get stuck about 12 inches down from the base of the toilet. I've had to take a stick to push it on through (very carefully use the stick). It will eventually move on down into the tank usually after a side-to-side push. Unless you only "do #1" and use a tiny bit of paper, it's going to get hung up. We also have a lot of odor coming from it from our more solid offerings to the Porcelain God. Suggestions? Answers?

Firetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oh nooooooo.....the dreaded poop pyramid.

egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
post 2 hit it right on the head.

You MUST leave the black tank valve closed to allow the
accumulation of fluids that will allow the poop to be
diluted, and then after a week or so, depending on
usage, be dumped. If you have the dreaded poop
pyramid, that is telling us that you have been leaving
your black tank valve open, so all the pee runs out,
but the poop accumulates in a pile. You will have to
get a lot of water in the black tank, try to dissolve all
the poop, and then dump it. Repeat until all is gone.
It will take a while.........
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #4

And after flushing the tank out, use more water when using commode.....
Old 05-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
The valve was closed. It's only our 2nd time out. The first time we were on sewer but again, the valve was closed. This weekend, we had no sewer hook-up. It's like the the pipe is either too narrow or is lined with double sided tape! lol

Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #6

Have you tried running a round toilet brush down the pipe? It sounds like something on the side of the drop pipe.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetaz View Post
The valve was closed. It's only our 2nd time out. The first time we were on sewer but again, the valve was closed. This weekend, we had no sewer hook-up. It's like the the pipe is either too narrow or is lined with double sided tape! lol
Try Happy Campers Extreem. Follow the directions and then follow up the regular treatment after you get the tank clear.
Also suggest using a clear adaptor on your sewer hose to let you know when the contents of the tank are clean while using the black tank flush.

https://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-CLEAN...+cleaner&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL...co+sewer+elbow
Old 05-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #8

Not sure exactly what the issue may be, however, once you get it solved....remember...WATER IS YOUR FRIEND! We always use plenty of water in the Black tank...and I never complain about dumping it or have any issues with it either! Hope I just didn't jinx myself

Finally, I use the bio method for treating my black tank...works for me. Not the only way to treat but one of the better ways.

Good luck with da pooper!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I considered it but quite frankly, was afraid I'd get mad and break something and didn't want that to happen while camping! LOL. Now that we're home, I'll try it tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, like in post 2 sounds like a partial poo pyramid

Our Outlaw is a Daybreak 3275 forward of the garage...the toilet drops directly into the tank. So any block would be either debris in the toilet neck or a sludge wall in the tank.

What floor plan do you have? Does the toilet drop into piping/plumbing or the tank?

*Either way, you will want to use large quantities of water to flush the poo path...a hydraulic cleaning. Flowing lots of warm (not hot) water into the toilet works best.

*A mechanical cleaning (a brush on a wand or snake) could be attempted if the water wash doesn't clear the block...brush with lots of water in the tank.

*Finally, I would fill the tank with water and add Dawn liquid detergent (an excellent grease cutter) then take a drive to mix well. Then let it sit for a few days and dump.

We did this once to give our new-to-us RV a super tank cleaning. And it should help with odors too.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV & OUTLAW MODS/FIXES
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:36 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on the Happy Camper Extreme. That stuff works. We use the regular Happy Camper as our black tank maintenance treatment.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think the worst part of this story is the fact you've only been out twice and you did keep the black tank valve closed until time to dump, that means if there is the dreaded pyramid of poo it belongs to the previous owners. Stranger poo
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #13

RU saying the poo gets stuck in the drop tube? Have you taken "the stick" and determined how high off the bottom of the tank the poo gets stuck? If its in the tube can you see any ledges that would stop the poo after the poo goes down?

Let us know how far ABOVE the bottom of the tank the stuff gets stuck.
If its getting stuck ON the bottom of the tank you are not using enough water.

You say its your second trip out. Did you put about 5 gallons of water into the black tank BEFORE you left and BEFORE the first #2 use of the facilities?
If you didn't you need to add lots of water and let it dissolve all the "stuff" down there and dump again.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Yep, like in post 2 sounds like a partial poo pyramid

*A mechanical cleaning (a brush on a wand or snake) could be attempted if the water wash doesn't clear the block...brush with lots of water in the tank.

*Finally, I would fill the tank with water and add Dawn liquid detergent (an excellent grease cutter) then take a drive to mix well. Then let it sit for a few days and dump.

Best luck
ALSO !
Add a half cup (to start then reduce to 1/4 cup there after)of Calgon liquid... that assists the Dawn to work..

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank