Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Buying a high mile Thor questions and opinions

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forums. I'm about to move full time into a camper of some variety as work seems to move me around a lot. I need a toy hauler as I have 3 motorcycles and several stand up paddle boards. Due to budget constraints I've been looking at fifth wheels but I just found a 2008 Damon Outlaw that I really like. Of course the reason it fits my limited budget is that it has 113,000 miles on it. I've read a little bit of the thread but in the midst of moving, I haven't had enough time to to do the thorough research to determine if that kind of mileage is something I should be running far far away from? If it was a diesel I wouldn't bat an eye but this is the Vortec 8100 340HP. I would be staying stationary a lot with occasional towing of a Subaru Forester weighing 3300 lbs. Other than the mileage, it appears to be in very good condition. I haven't seen it yet so I'm going on the pictures and discussions with the sales guy. Sales guy is supposed to drive it tomorrow and let me know how it runs. Is there anything in particular I should be concerned about with this model and this mileage?

Thanks!
Outdoor_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor_Girl View Post
Hi all,

Due to budget constraints I've been looking at fifth wheels but I just found a 2008 Damon Outlaw that I really like. Of course the reason it fits my limited budget is that it has 113,000 miles on it.
Thanks!
What engine, Workhorse 8.1 ltr or Ford V10 ?
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #3

We have the Vortec 8100 on the GM Workhorse. We only have around 28,ooo miles on ours but I did a lot of research before buying. If it has been well maintained I would not be afraid of it but as is with all things mechanical, there will be maintenance required.
Funseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forums...I need a toy hauler... as I have 3 motorcycles and several stand up paddle boards....I just found a 2008 Damon Outlaw that I really like...that it has 113,000 miles on it...this is the Vortec 8100 340HP...Is there anything in particular I should be concerned about with this model and this mileage?

Thanks!
WOW! That's almost 19,000 miles a year average. We have just over 33K miles on our '07.

I submit that the house part is easy to see if there are any problems...check everything (roof, plumbing, and electronics) in-person or pay for an inspection.

The mechanical side of this is less obvious. 113K miles is within the design lifespan of the Vortec 8.1 -IF- it was maintained properly. This is easy to check with a read on the OBD (ECM/Engine computer) and a compression test. The Allison transmission (standard for the Workhorse/8.1) can also run well past 113K miles -IF- not abused (the Transynd transmission fluid is rated for 150K miles before change).

If there was a state SMOG inspection required, engine condition would be part of registration. If not, I would ask the seller to allow a mechanical check for issues (requires finding a GM shop that does RV's). This is a simple diagnosis process with modern computer controlled engines...should cost about the price of a tune-up and could/should include new spark plugs...they should pull the plugs to check each combustion chamber anyway.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:31 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forums. I'm about to move full time into a camper of some variety as work seems to move me around a lot. I need a toy hauler as I have 3 motorcycles and several stand up paddle boards. Due to budget constraints I've been looking at fifth wheels but I just found a 2008 Damon Outlaw that I really like. Of course the reason it fits my limited budget is that it has 113,000 miles on it. I've read a little bit of the thread but in the midst of moving, I haven't had enough time to to do the thorough research to determine if that kind of mileage is something I should be running far far away from? If it was a diesel I wouldn't bat an eye but this is the Vortec 8100 340HP. I would be staying stationary a lot with occasional towing of a Subaru Forester weighing 3300 lbs. Other than the mileage, it appears to be in very good condition. I haven't seen it yet so I'm going on the pictures and discussions with the sales guy. Sales guy is supposed to drive it tomorrow and let me know how it runs. Is there anything in particular I should be concerned about with this model and this mileage?

Thanks!

Good luck with how it turns out.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Hi, Hopefully someone from the I Love My Thor Outlaw group will answer. They have a very active thread under Damon. You my want to read their forum, it is packed with great info.

Safe travels
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
If coach is in Great shape, pull the dog house and do a inspection underneath. If you do not feel comfortable have a mechanic check it out. I bought a similar coach in the early 90's. High mileage and great condition. Items over the years needing repairs. Exhaust, tires, brakes, water pump, belts and carburetor as a few I remember. All these items except Carb rebuild I could do myself.

YES, I would do it again.

Good Luck!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #8

Great shape!

Hi all,

Thanks for the input. I flew down to Orlando last week to see it in person and it was in fantastic shape. Appeared to be very well maintained. I crawled around underneath and everything was in good shape. For checking the engine compression I went with the low tech less reliable option of let's drive it and see what it feels like. It had plenty of power on the hills (granted they were small hills but I drove aggressively) and it's capable of going much faster than I should be driving it. I took delivery on Friday and immediately drove 4.5 hrs to my parents' house where it received Dad's seal of approval. On Sunday I drove it over 6 hrs to its new home in MS. The only issues I can see with it is it needs new batteries and I missed that the dash stereo isn't getting power. Those are pretty minor issues that I can handle. It drives great and I've enjoyed staying in it the last few nights. I just need to get settled in a little more and decide what it really needs before I start implementing any of the crazy mods I'm considering like adding a treadmill in place of the recliner and a closet/pantry in place of the dinette.
Outdoor_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #9

Congrats on what sounds like a good unit.

As for the dash stereo, it could be powered by the house battery. If your house battery is turned off (or bad), you won't have power to the stereo. I had a 97 Coachmen that was powered that way.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

That is the way Damon wired the Outlaw's dash radio.

Congrats and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #11

Congrats on your find, Outdoor Girl. You have acquired the best Outlaw vintage that has ever rolled out of the Damon factory!

P.s.: We need to see photos of the treadmill installation, that sounds cool!