Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Carrier A/C replacements

I have a Damon 2009 Astoria PE. The front A/C is not putting out enough cool air. Back in the day I would have it serviced and Freon topped off. I'm hearing that RV A/Cs cannot be serviced anymore. Throw away A/Cs I guess. Question is what is the best/easiest A/C brand replacement for the Carrier A/C. The remote controls both the front A/C and the furnace.

Thanks

Hawk43
Hawk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

This might help........

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i ditched both units and put in coleman mach units with heat pumps
i used the old carrier roof trim panel .
but everything else is new,
i was able to run thermostat wiring across the ceiling by hiding it under the ceiling trim piece
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140807_120011.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	116740   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140807_123246.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	116741  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140807_123410.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	116742   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140807_120002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	116743  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok first: RV A/Cs can be serviced same as any other. However the cost/benefits ratio is a tad high.. Carrier or other makes does not matter here... The first thing you need to do is find out WHY it's not putting out enough cold air.. Two suspects come to mind as being prime.. Dirty Condenser (kills mine from time to time) and dirty evaporator coils.. In either case you can clean them.

If you need help in how let me know, or if near S.E. Ga come visit.

Now Carrier no longer makes RV Air Conditioners.. this may be why you heard they can not be serviced.. however the Air Conditioners is divided into basically 3 parts.

The upper part, as the song is titled, Up On The Roof
The lower part (The part you see inside the RV)
And the middle part (Ductwork,for the most part) There is a control box on the middle part but it's really part of the lower assembly.

Two companies make replacement upper parts

Advernt air,, Which I have, and do not recommend and I think
Coleman, which I do not have.

I will describe the change from Carrier to Advent.

Remove lower cover, unplug upper unit from lower (two plugs) remove 4 volts, remove upper unit, open control box and disconnect one of the sockets from the control board.. Remove Molex socket from housing and replace with new (provided in the adapt-a-kit) molex socket and re-connect..... NOTE I had to do this the RV technician had never worked with Molex sockets before.. As an Electronics technican I had.

Close control board compartment, plug in adapt-a-harness (Two plugs, Place upper unit on lower and align, 4 bolts (put 'em back, or use new ones included in adapt-a-kit) plug in one plug to adapt-a-harness replace lower unit job done. (4 screws 2 filters)

I'm assuming the Carrier to coleman is the same.

NOTE: You said "Not enough cold air" if it's no cold air at all (my problem) then replacement may be the only option.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for your help

How do you clean the coils on the roof evaporator and cooling coils. A hose, compressed air? I've read in iRV2 that keeping the fan on high keeps the unit from freezing up.

Thanks again.
Hawk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I recommend compressed air.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cleaning the coils can be hard or easy, I have used assorted methods. Both water and compressed air.. Be careful you do not want to damage the "Fins" and both methods can.. A soft brush can also help.

To clean the condenser coils you first remove the cowl (top cover) and then a metal cover on the Condenser You may want to move the fan (or not) depending on your brush.. Blow from the outside in and blow straight in, NOT at an angle. I have found air seems to be easiest.

To do the evaporator you need to remove the plastic cover. To do this there is a small box at the front, First remove the cover from it Then there are 4 serews and 4 clips.. You remove the scrws and then you may need help to release all 4 clips.. Lift up.. To clean you may wish to lay a towel (in the air intake on the A/C.

I've done 3 different Carrier Air V units. my two ,,,, One of which suffered failure due to a assembly error, and one neighbors.. his was making all kinds of noise.. We popped the covers and it tured the blower was cracked and ratteling .. Now it was late Friday, Nearest RV place (Closed for the evening) is like 35 miles away. HOT AUGUST NIGHT and I'm not talking about the Neil Diamond piece.. So where is he going to get a spare cage fan? My basement.. You see, I saved the one off the Carrier that failed.. Now that's LUCK.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
lucky neighbor!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement