RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #1

I just wanted to offer my help with questions regarding these two models. I've owned my Challenger since 2004 and have litterally torn it apart from front to back (not for problems but modifications and maintenance). If you're looking for the cable for the satellite TV or where they ran the wire for a Fantastic Fan. Wondering how the cabinets are fastened to the wall or how to remove the front or rear tv? I can help. Want to add a few 6 volt batteries but don't know where to put them? I found a spot that won't take up valuable compartment space.
I'm not an expert on everything Challenger but I am more than willing to share what experience I have.

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #2

I just wanted to offer my help with questions regarding these two models. I've owned my Challenger since 2004 and have litterally torn it apart from front to back (not for problems but modifications and maintenance). If you're looking for the cable for the satellite TV or where they ran the wire for a Fantastic Fan. Wondering how the cabinets are fastened to the wall or how to remove the front or rear tv? I can help. Want to add a few 6 volt batteries but don't know where to put them? I found a spot that won't take up valuable compartment space.
I'm not an expert on everything Challenger but I am more than willing to share what experience I have.

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Chandler, thats nice of you to share your experiences working on your Challenger.
I have an '05 Daybreak and we may have some similarities.
I would like to add an under the cabinet coffee maker and also possibly add some wiring under the cabinets. My problem is that I can't figure out how to get the floor part of the cabinet out to access the wiring or put the nuts on to hold the coffee maker up. On my 93 Winnebago, I could just lift the bottom of the cabinet up. On my Damon, it doesnt look like there is any way to get to the wiring without damaging the wood. Have you ever had to get to the wiring above or in the cabinets?
Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #4

Chandler, We are heading out in our challenger next week for a 2 week trip to texas. This will be our maiden voyage aside from the usual sleep in to insure the workings of things. I am sure during and upon return i will be asking you many things. Thks for offering your assistance in advance.

W&D+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #5

Hi Max! Running the wiring is easy as long as there is a plug or switch on the bottom of the cabinet. Remove it and you can snake the wires to wherever you want. What were you thinking of adding?
I have yet to need to get into the space between the floor of the cabinet and the bottom. Let me look at mine and see what I can see. I know that the bottom is pretty flimsy and probably won't hold a cofee maker without some bracing.
Of course you had to ask about one section of my Challenger that I have not dissected....yet.
I'll let you know what I find.

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 03-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #6

W&D+3, you're welcome! Hopefully I can help more than I did for Max!

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 03-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chandler, it's OK, I seem to come up with some unique brainstorms.
With the 'under the cabinet' coffee maker, you have to drive the screws from the top down to the brackets that hold the coffee maker. There's about 1.5"s of open space between the bottom of the cabinet interior and exterior. It would make it look a lot neater if the screws were not visible. I'd also like to put a 12 volt receptacle , or 2 , under the cabinets, for cell phone charging etc. The 12 volt wiring is there for the lights so that part would be easy. But I dont want to butcher the MH doing it. It very well may be that there is no way to remove the bottom without cutting it out which I don't want the coffee maker that bad. Winnebagomade it easy to access because the floor of the cabinet was just stapled on.
I'm also trying to figure out when Damon started using remote controled Carrier AC units and Atwood furnaces controled by the AC remote. I'm curious if you have this also.
Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:11 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chandler!

Thanks for the offer of sharing your experiences. I have found the most difficult part of being an owner who can do some minor maintenance is getting info on where things are located. So your experience will be greatly appreciated

Preston

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chandler:

Chandler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:47 AM   #9

Hi Max..My Challenger had the regular wired thermostat for the Coleman Mach AC's. I have since added two Hunter digital T stats.
The first time I saw the remote's was in '04 at the Rv show in Boston. I thought it was an option on the Challenger and standard on the Intruder.

Wife, Dee
Old 03-30-2007, 05:18 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Chandler, We all need all the help we can get.

We have a 2002 Intruder (379) and above the drivers seat the in the cabinet with the CD changer there is a cable loose, don't know where it comes from or where it's suppose to go, got any ideas?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #11

Chandler, I am looking for the cable for a satellite dish. I Have a cable in cabinet above driver seat that I have no idea where it goes. I am going to install A crank up winegard dish on the roof. I have A 2003 Challenger 335.
Thanks, T Young
tyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #12

Hi Mr C and T young! I think both of you have the same question. You're fortunate to actually see the cable. I was looking for mine and I had to remove the vinyl panel that covers the bottom of the front cabinets to find it. I have found that the regular cable is on the right side of the TV and the satellite cable is on the left. To make sure it's the right one, all you need is an ohm meter. You guys know that there is a plate on the roof that you can remove to mount the reciever, right? It's actually marked "Winegard satellite mount" or something like that. Under it will be the cable and the mount for a Winegard dish. All you need to do is strip a bit of the cable and sheathing and join the two wires together, then go to the cable in the cabinet and measure the resistance between the inner wire and the outer sheathing. there should be little or none. If so, you've found your cable. As I said, my cable was actually behind the cabinet and it was a pain to get at. I first had to remove the vinyl covering around the TV, then remove the A pillar trim panel, then finally the lower panel....Oh yeah, I had to completely remove the front curain track too. What a pain!

Hope this helps..

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 03-31-2007, 05:42 AM   #13

Well I climbed up on the motor home roof this morning looking for the plate you mentioned, I found no plate. The only plate I saw was where the Winegard tv antenna wire goes through the roof. So I guess I am out of luck.
tyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:03 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tyoung!

There is no plate if the satellite dish is not installed. On mine, I found a decal on the roof near the front air conditioner unit - it says this is the spot for the dish. Do you have that decal?

I have been told that one must be very careful while drilling the hole at the marked spot so that you do not cut the cable - increase the depth a little bit at a time and check before going in deeper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tyoung:
Well I climbed up on the motor home roof this morning looking for the plate you mentioned, I found no plate. The only plate I saw was where the Winegard tv antenna wire goes through the roof. So I guess I am out of luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote