Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #1

I check this site daily, and add my 2 cents whenever I feel I have something of value to add. I am disapointed that there are not more posts as I would like to have more Damon specific conversations. Although, on the upside there don't seem to be many major issues with our coaches in general, careful what you wish for I guess.

We had occasion over the Thanksgiving Holiday to go to Normandy Farms up here in Mass. It got pretty cold on Friday night. Teens. We kept the coach warm with a couple of ceramic heaters and the furnace only ran a couple of times overnight. This, of course got me worrying about my wet bay. I purchased a 12v ceramic heater on line and it should be arriving tomorrow. Has anyone out there installed one of these and how did you go about it? I was thinking of seeing if I have an empty spot in the electrical panel where the fuses are for the other 12 volt accesories.

Second, I noticed on an 07 Challenger a nifty slide-out tray for the passanger. It lookes like the same dash as my 07 Daybreak. Does anyone have this tray in an 06 or 07 Daybreak?

Thanks for any info!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #2

I check this site daily, and add my 2 cents whenever I feel I have something of value to add. I am disapointed that there are not more posts as I would like to have more Damon specific conversations. Although, on the upside there don't seem to be many major issues with our coaches in general, careful what you wish for I guess.

We had occasion over the Thanksgiving Holiday to go to Normandy Farms up here in Mass. It got pretty cold on Friday night. Teens. We kept the coach warm with a couple of ceramic heaters and the furnace only ran a couple of times overnight. This, of course got me worrying about my wet bay. I purchased a 12v ceramic heater on line and it should be arriving tomorrow. Has anyone out there installed one of these and how did you go about it? I was thinking of seeing if I have an empty spot in the electrical panel where the fuses are for the other 12 volt accesories.

Second, I noticed on an 07 Challenger a nifty slide-out tray for the passanger. It lookes like the same dash as my 07 Daybreak. Does anyone have this tray in an 06 or 07 Daybreak?

Thanks for any info!!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:58 AM   #3

4gone, I also check this forum daily. I will supply information only if I think I have an appropriate answer or feel I know what I'm talking about or If I have a question. It has been rather quiet on here for a while. As for your question about the slide-out tray, that is model specific. Someone with a like model will probably get back to you if they see the post, however it may take some time. I've only had my Damon for a few months and have made a lot of changes,or improvments because of this forum. Hang in there, I'm sure you'll get some positive response. John H....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #4

4gone...you know, I was thinking. Did you go to Normandy Farms last New Years? I seem to remember a (then) new Daybreak with a Suzuki.

We may do Normandy this New Years as well but then again we may do Meredith Woods.

I wish I could help you with the 12 volt heater. I will say that it will draw a lot of power compared to a 120 volt one. I think you'll find it may not work as well as you hope...I could be wrong. Please let us know how it works, ok?

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Heres what Dale did to get 110v outlet to wet bay maybe you can do the same if you have a outlet in one of your compartments.
Outlet extension
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #6

Nope, wasn't us at Normandy... Wish it was. We got our unit in April. You named two of my favorite winter destinations though. We saw a Challenger at Tidewater in August weekend of the 24th I think, that looked a lot like the one in your sig.

My hopes for the 12 volt heater is that it will allow me to get some heat in the compartment while traveling. I am able to run two 110 volt heaters in the unit when plugged in, but that maxes me out. I can use a 110 unit when parked where I have a 110 on the electrical service pole. I like to have options and I am hoping that I can use it if I find the compartment got colder than expected and I don't feel like scampering outside in my scivies... For long duration, 110 is the way to go I think.

I'll let you know how it works.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #7

Wasn't me there...I haven't been to Tidewater..yet. Maybe we'll see you sometime at either Normandy or Meredith...

Let us know about the 12 volt heater though, ok?

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #8

4gone, this won't help on the road but here's what I do when while plugged in to the post...

I carry a mechanic's trouble light with me and when it gets below about 25 I'll plug it in to the post's duplex outlet and put the light in the compt with the holding tanks. I use a 60w bulb suspended in the space so as not to let it touch the plastic. It has kept the tanks from freezing while in the low teens.

I don't know where your 110v breaker box is on a Challenger but mine's under the bed. I used the air conditioner 20 amp circuit at the breaker and installed a new duplex outlet on the bed support box. You can use it to plug a heater into since you won't be using the a/c and heater at the same time.

I installed this outlet so in case the electric goes out at home, I can run the genny with 2 circuits into my home to power the furnace, water pump, sump pump and a few lights.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #9

Expo - That's a good thought. My breaker box is across the hall from the bunk beds. I could put an outlet in the bathroom since that is where I run the second heater.

Did you just add a second wire from that breaker to the outlet? I also use mine for emergency elec if necessary.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #10

4gone,
Yes I did...just tucked another black hot wire under the a/c breaker screw and the white and bare to the ground bus.

To easily feed electric to the house furnace I installed a duplex outlet next to the furnace using the existing wire that fed the furnace. Then I put a standard 3 prong plug onto the wire going to the furnace and plugged it into the outlet. If the power goes out I pull the plug and put it into the extension cord ran from the m.h. It only runs the heat--not the air of course.

I've got one of those 90%+ efficient furnaces with a DC variable speed motor. It uses very little electric so I may have enough reserve to watch The Weather Channel also.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my Intruder I found that the Gravity fill hose from the port in the outside wall to the tank pases inside the coach next to the water heater, The hole was much larger than the hose (not a problem since it's a heated compartment) and there was enough room to pass an extension cord with one (Plug) end cut off up through the hole, I then put a new plug on the cord, Normally it's coiled up in the heater compartment (Which is not a storage compartment) but when it's cold out can be uncoiled and brought out to an indoor outlet very easily.