Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Damon Outlaw Problems !!

Help Please
We have a 2008 Damon Outlaw 37ft toy carrier. At the back of the MH the perimiter has plastic caps that hold lights etc and finishes off the unit. We have several cracks in the plastic and I mean cracks from hairline to 1/4 inch.Will these have to be replaced or should I silicone them.

As you can imagine we are not impressed

Any help would be great

pitbull
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked the warranty on your coach to see if they might be covered? I would get in touch with the mfr and see if they would do anything about it.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #3

I have the same problem and had them send me new ones to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
Help Please
We have a 2008 Damon Outlaw 37ft toy carrier. At the back of the MH the perimiter has plastic caps that hold lights etc and finishes off the unit. We have several cracks in the plastic and I mean cracks from hairline to 1/4 inch.Will these have to be replaced or should I silicone them.

As you can imagine we are not impressed

Any help would be great

pitbull
Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #4

As someone who is very seriously considering a new Thor Outlaw 3611, I'm very discouraged by the amount of problems I've been reading about with this Coach.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #5

To the original poster, I agree with the above note to contact Thor directly, maybe send pictures, and see what they'll do for you. They've helped me with everything I've asked them about (though, my unit has been within the 12 mo warranty period so far).

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage2006 View Post
As someone who is very seriously considering a new Thor Outlaw 3611, I'm very discouraged by the amount of problems I've been reading about with this Coach.
I hear you and have mixed feelings about your comment. We have a one year old 2010 Outlaw and have had a number of issues that needed attention. The issues take time and are frustrating.

That said, I peak at some of the other sites, including forums for units that are 2X, 4X the price of an Outlaw and they have many of the same problems :-( I think much of this is the nature of custom coach building.

We like our Outlaw overall so far and it's unique capabilities. Thor has generally been very good about backing the product in the first year. We'll see how it goes from here... good luck,

Mike
tr21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #6

Mike, I replied to you on another thread. Yes, I do have mixed feelings. I looked very seriously at the 2001 Thor Outlaw while recently in California and even took it out for a test drive. I LOVED it and everything about it.

But now that I'm doing some research regarding the 'quality' of this coach I'm torn. It did cross my mind that other new coaches may have similar problems in the beginning but I guess I felt this one has a LOT of problems.

Wonder if they built the 2011 any better ??
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #7

Damon Outlaw Sress Cracks

Pitbull

We just got back from Yellowstone in our 2008 Outlaw and after driving the twisting and winding roads, we now have stress cracks in the same "plastic caps". Left crack is about 1/4 and the right about 1/8. I spoke with TMC today and e-mailed them pictures. I'll let you know how we make out.

Mike
Mike2unme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We contacted Thor and evan though we are second owners and it is a 2008 Outlaw they have sent me all three bumpers free of charge. That said I am hesitant of installing until we full time in 3 years,
Than it will not see another Canadian winter. It looks like that may not help due to the problems Mike2unme had during warm weather.
The shifting of the MH during twists and turns has to be the major problem.
There may be a way of installing the bumpers that will allow for movement during stress without pulling apart?

Pitbull
Old 07-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #9

I heard back from TMC the day before yesterday. They are sending new bumpers to me as well but they will not cover the painting or labor to install. I have no problem installing them myself but the paint is custom to The Scorpion Package. I think I'm going to hold onto the pieces and see what I can come up with for an overlapping joint so I don't have the issue again in the future. I may even try colored to match caulking to seal the cracks. Safe travels.

Mike
Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me know how it works for you Mike2unme. Your idea of capping the cracks is quite interesting.

Pitbull
Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #11

When I spoke to the TMC tech on the phone, he said that the new bumpers were reinforced at the weakest areas and there shouldn't be a problem in the future with cracking. After taking a close look at the bumpers, I can't see anything that would resemble reinforcment in the area where the originals cracked. I have siliconed the cracks for now but I am still looking for a rubber/plastic cap product that could work. The silicone seems to work out ok but we haven't had a long trip to test it out.

Mike
Old 09-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #12

Damon Outlaw End Caps

I have a 2011 outlaw and thor has still not put a Safety stop on the handles when you open the back . Am friend has a 09 and his are cracked. So far I`m extremely careful when opening the rear door lock handles. Going to instal a stop my self to prevent the cracking ..
Rokn
RoknRoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #13

the famously thin cracking caps

in response to pitbull's dilemma with the cracking tailight cap, i have a 2008 outlaw 3611 which i recently backed into a fence post at my storage lot. after considerable cussing after seeing the damage i had done to the cap i decided for the time being to tackle a temporary fix by myself (i wouldn't even know where to get a new one) i went to o'reilley's and bought a plastic bumper repair kit (in the auto body repair section) it comes with epoxy and screen material used for backing. i suggest removing the cap (not a real big chore) and repairing from behind with the mesh as a backer to ensure strength. i used it and it seems to be working good to at least to hold this paper thin sucker together. the repair is visible but with a little better knowledge of bodywork and paint touch up it didn't come out all that bad. good luck!!!
zugzug is offline   Reply With Quote