Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel Fuel Generator sharing with Engine

This non diesel, non automotive geek Really appreciated Greatly to receive 2 Generac Generator manuals.
Few manuals came with the 2006 Damon / Pacific RV.
Only 7,000 actual miles were on the 2006 Damon when bought just
4 weeks ago.
I am in process of discovery and contacting Thor Damon to get manuals
we do not have. So far Little help

For a mean-time question, Is there a simple method of discovering if the
Diesel QuietPact Generator is sharing Freightliner Diesel fuel supply.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #2

A call to Freightliner with your chassis serial number should tell you but it is almost surely drawing from only one tank for both. Mine does for our Onan QD 7500.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #3

I'm sure there's something that exists...but for "same fuel as engine" generators (gasoline or diesel) I can't recall ever seeing one in the modern era that didn't share fuel with the engine. I'm sure someone will point out an exception but I'm willing to bet a nice steak dinner on a fairly modern Damon not being a weird exception

Steve
Old 12-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club

Quote:
:
For a mean-time question, Is there a simple method of discovering if the
Diesel QuietPact Generator is sharing Freightliner Diesel fuel supply.
I am going to say yes, one tank for both, gas or diesel.........maybe some older (way old) gensets had their own tank. The supply line to the generator, on most, is up off the bottom of the tank quite a bit as to eliminate the possibility of the generator using all the fuel in the tank and leaving you stranded.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Usual set up is to have one tank with 2 lines. The generator line is a bit shorter than the engine one so that you can't run out of fuel by running the generator. The generator would shut off before the engine doesn't have enough fuel to get to a station. If your generator won't run, check that you have more than about 1/4 tank.

I suggest you go through RV with a tablet and pencil, noting each appliance and device you can find, noting make and model number. Then sit down with computer and search for each item adding the word 'manual' or 'owner's manual.' Most systems will have PDF copies available for download. (That's how I found your generator manuals)

The RV owner's manual is less use than you'd think, they are very generic in nature, full of things like, 'wear seat belts' and 'how to adjust mirrors', but they seldom give details as to where things are actually located. If you check out Winnebago or other major RV makers, you'll find manuals that can give you tips on general operation of most things in your RV. I found this manual on line, might not be specific to your particular model, but it will help:

http://thormotorcoach.com/media/docu...ers_Manual.pdf

Interesting, Jayco doesn't list any Class A diesel manuals.

Owner's Manuals | Jayco, Inc.

This link takes you to many manuals for RV systems:

Service Documents and Manuals

Also, YouTube has many 'how to' videos on RV systems and maintenance.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thor (parent to Damon for many years) has owner support here:
Motorhome Owners Links | Thor Motor Coach #1 Brand of Motorhomes | Diesel Pushers,Class A,Class B,& Class C RV s

The manuals for Astoria models are under the Manuals and Resources buttons...plus there is other stuff for owners there too.

Best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very much appreciated comments ..thanx
I would trust these explanations as solving my dilema as ONE FUEL TANK FOR BOTH Generac and Rv Engine
Also I now need to take Damon to a Freightliner or Damon RV Dealer for some badly needed walkthru. Possibly pay dealer for his hourly time.
thanx everyone.
WE also have a problem with 3 propane Lights above door entry telling us its 1/3 full Then filling propane tank finding out it takes only 3 or 4 gallons of Propane for a fill ?.
Thanx to all very much.
Ill be Baaaaaaack
baldtbird06
Old 12-20-2014, 11:33 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
According to the brochure for the '06 Astoria, you have a 126 pound LP tank. They are only filled to 80% of that capacity, so you have 100.8 pounds of LP gas. A gallon of LP is 4.2 pounds, so your tank holds 24 gallons.

http://thormotorcoach.com/media/docu...06_astoria.pdf

Bob & Donna
Old 12-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The attached sales brochure shows a Diesel generator.
What am I not seeing in the spec sheet ?

- Generator: 7.5 kW Generac ®Quietpact™diesel

Old 12-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
According to the brochure for the '06 Astoria, you have a 126 pound LP tank. They are only filled to 80% of that capacity, so you have 100.8 pounds of LP gas. A gallon of LP is 4.2 pounds, so your tank holds 24 gallons.

http://thormotorcoach.com/media/docu...06_astoria.pdf
Where do you find Propane Generator.?
WE knew it had a propane tank, but is for frig, stove, water heater.

baldtbird.06
Old 12-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are considering pulling a 1969 Mint Beetle with all ( 4 ) wheels off the ground with our 2006 Damon 36ft Freightliner.
Any negatives to this or is it all good
baldtbird.06
Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I didn't say you had a propane generator. The diesel generator is listed under Utilities on the spec sheet. The fact that the electronic level for the LP tank reads false is not that uncommon. In addition, there's an analog gauge right on the side of the tank if you can see it. It's often used by the attendant to monitor filling the tank. I did the math for you about your LP tank because sometimes folks confuse pounds and gallons and don't know they are only filled to 80%. Your electronic levels often have a way of adjusting the readings to make them more accurate. You'll have to look up the make and model of the display panel to see if yours can be corrected. It often just takes a small jeweler's screwdriver to do it.

Also, perhaps the reason for the question about the fuel being shared with engine and generator is the fact that you have a fuel fill cap on each side. They both fill the one tank. At a truck stop, with the high velocity pumps, don't open the opposite side to try and fill faster. You'll end up 'blowing' fuel out the other side!
I also see you have a converter/charger, not an inverter, unless it was updated by a previous owner. Also that your 10 gallon water heater uses LP and/or 120 v electric and that you have a water heater bypass valve installed. If you get someone to walk you through the systems, ask about the bypass for winterizing.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
The only negative is you'll do a number on the paint job! A '69 beetle on a flatbed should still be within the 5,000 lb rating of your hitch receiver. Nice little car, I've got a '74 in garage I'm restoring. I got my first VW in 1968 and I've had one or another ever since. (first was a '63 23 window microbus)

Bob & Donna
Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldtbird.06 View Post
We are considering pulling a 1969 Mint Beetle with all ( 4 ) wheels off the ground with our 2006 Damon 36ft Freightliner.
Any negatives to this or is it all good
baldtbird.06
All wheels off the ground means auto-carrier or enclosed trailer...should be no problem and the trailer would have electric or surge brakes.

The only down sides are weight and what to do with the trailer when at a campground.
-Weight can be mitigated with engineering - aluminum construcion or steel truss construction can decrease weight.
-If a campground does not have room at your site, they often have parking for cargo trailers. Just enquire at the office.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, generator