RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One question some security minded folks might have is this: How easy is it to open the door on your rig if you don't have the keys?

Well... In a manner of speaking (I have a door key where I can ALWAYS find it) I found out today.

Came home, went to get on the ham bands a bit and the dang door would not open. Latch had broken.

Took me about an hour, mostly because I was trying to be as polite as possible and I've never done this before, But now that I know how. Bet I could do it again in 10 minutes or less.. SO LONG AS THE DEAD BOLT IS NOT ENGAGED.

Engage the dead bolt and I"m not sure.. I might still be able to do it, but I'm not sure.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One question some security minded folks might have is this: How easy is it to open the door on your rig if you don't have the keys?

Well... In a manner of speaking (I have a door key where I can ALWAYS find it) I found out today.

Came home, went to get on the ham bands a bit and the dang door would not open. Latch had broken.

Took me about an hour, mostly because I was trying to be as polite as possible and I've never done this before, But now that I know how. Bet I could do it again in 10 minutes or less.. SO LONG AS THE DEAD BOLT IS NOT ENGAGED.

Engage the dead bolt and I"m not sure.. I might still be able to do it, but I'm not sure.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now that you have our interest whats to getting in my locked MH.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since the deadbolt was not engaged all I had to do was sneak a standard mechenic pick (The kind you might use to remove a main bearing seal) into the gap between the striker plate and the door frame.

The one I used had a 90 degree bend about a half inch from the end.

This was enough to push in on the snap bolt and open the door.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job If my wife forgets her key again I may need that pick.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:17 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well for forgetting the key I have an even easier solution. I picked up what is known in the trade as a Realtor box (this is a small combination safe which can be securely bolted to a wall) and bolted it to the wall of one of the compartments in the basement of the rig. Specifically the propane compartment.

If you know the combination.. There is a door key inside.

If you don't know the combination, there is still a door key inside and it is going to stay there! The propane compartment can not be locked so the key-vault (The other name for it) is always there.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:40 AM   #7

John-D

Well it happened to me yesterday. I went to get back in the coach and found the door was locked. Luckly the outside compartment was unlocked and that's where I store my tool kit. I tried to fudge with the lock plunger but that didn't work. Then I remembered my old skill of picking tool box locks when I worked second shift and everyone locked up the shop tools in their personal boxes. It took 2 small allen wrenches and about 60 seconds and the door was opened. I was really suprised how easy it is to pick the door handle locks. Guess we'll use the dead bolts when we leave the coach. Haven't tried to pick this yet .... maybe I can parlay this into a new career ....
Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know a young locksmith (less than one year on the job) hired him to help me open the trunk on a Ford LTD I had purchased from an Abandoned car lot (What I call road kill) he worked on that trunk lock for about an hour and finally I went in via the back seat, broke the lock, popped the trunk and then he was able to remove and replace the lock with a new one.

Well. a short time later we had a person call in who had locked the keys in his daughter's new leased car (Sticker still in window new) This one had "high security" locks. Called Chris (The Locksmith) he responded, Ask the needed question (right or left) stuck the torque wrench in, raked it one time, and opened the door.

What can I say, some times the high-security locks.. Arn't.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #9

John-D

I put only round door key in my key vault in the propane area. Funny thing is I misplaced all of my keys and when I went to open the door I only had the one key and not the dead bolt.

Finally located the original set of keys and promptly put the other door key in there.