Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Driver’s windshield wiper hangs up on the left side at speeds over 35MPH.

2008 Damon Astoria 3786
The driver’s windshield wiper gets hung up on the left side of the windshield at speeds greater than 35 MPH. We had initial reported this to our dealer over a year ago, within several months of buying the motor home. The dealer “adjusted” the wipers. The dealer has since gone out of business. On this, our long Alaska we ran into rain. At speeds greater than 35 MPH the driver’s wiper goes around the corner of the windshield and get hung-up and stops until the speed decreases below 35 MPH.
Has anyone else had this problem? What can be done to fix it (besides driving at 35MPH)? Is there an adjustment?
We are on a three month trip to Alaska and currently stopped at Fort Nelson BC in rainy weather. I’m sure we’ll have more rain on this trip. Please help if you have any ideas. Returning to beautiful Gilroy CA is not an option.
Steve and Jean
2008 Damon Astoria 3786 – 2000 Toyota Avalon toad gotta get a Jeep.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
You may want to look in the Monaco Forum (I will see if I can find the thread) but Monaco did a replacement on the wiper arms to correct a similar (or the same) problem.

THIS THREAD MAY GET YOU ON THE RIGHT TRACK

Here is another thread

This is a safety issue so I feel compelled to answer. Good Luck and stay safe....

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You might also want to look at the transmission. No not the vehicle transmission, but the wiper's transmission. This is the linkage between the motor and the wiper arm.
They do wear out, although since yours is an 08, you would think it should be too new to have this happen. It is possible, that somewhere someone originally got it hung up around the corner, and this caused the problem. Yes they are adjustable, where the arm mounts to the transmission. This post has grooves cut into it, and sometimes lifting the arm of the post and moving it a couple of grooves closer to the center might help. Sometimes it is the grooves themselves, either on the post or on the wiper. If the wiper got hung up on the corner of the windshield before you bought it, it could have stripped the grooves right off either the post or the wiper, in any event both are replaceable.

I had a transmission wear out on my daughter's car and a local mechanic drilled out the post and ran a bolt through the arm and post, because the arm would change position. I was livid when he got done, mostly because had he replaced the transmission it would have been cheaper than the cost for his repair.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same with my 08 ,went to a 28 in wiper
scottmohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Scott. That is my idea also. Now I have to get to out of the wilderness and find an auto store.

Tony at Damon has also advised me to go to a Damon dealer and have them look at it. I can't hit a Damon dealer until September.

Again thanks.

On the road in the Yukon.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #6

Our windshield wipers on 2008 Damon Challenger totally stopped straight up in a driving rain storm. And never started back up at all. It is at the factory right now getting a bunch of stuff repaired and replaced. Bought it "new" in January. So many problems, too numerous to list. UHGGGGG

Liz N Leroy N Frosty the cat
2008 Damon Challenger N 2006 Jeep Liberty
liznleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #7

My 2008 Damon Daybreak wipers also stuck up in a driving rain. The wiper motor/trans failed. Looks like Damon has a batch of poor parts....The replacement, only to be found through Damon was near $500. Good Sam ESP paid but still seems high and an odd failure for such a new coach. My 65 Mustang still has the original 45 year old wiper motor and works fine.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #8

having the same issue with 2008 Damon Astoria 3776. Wiper hangs up on left side of windshield at speeds above 35. Will not return until you get out and move it. Tough dirve to Texas from Nebraska this week with this issue. Any solutions to this issue would be appreciated
Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #9

I replaced my 32" blades with 28" blades did not resolve issue Wiper still hangs on left side of windshield 2008 Damon Astoria 3776
Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:29 AM   #10

The poor thing has been back in Elkhart going on two weeks now, getting a whole page of stuff repaired and replaced, Including a whole new roof. Apparently alluminum and galavanized don't get along. What a bummer. Luckily still under warranty. we will see what happens

Liz N Leroy N Frosty the cat
2008 Damon Challenger N 2006 Jeep Liberty
liznleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #11

Steve, I have a 2008 3776 Astoria, My wipers in the "off" position were never level. The driver's side was always a bit higher, causing the wiper to travel over the curve at the top of the wiper stroke. I was able to remove the wiper arm from the center spindle (see KC1BUD's comment above) The spindle is grooved and if it is "not damaged", you can move the arm a notch or two to adjust. It does not take much, due to the length of the arm. At rest it will only move a small amount, however at the top of the swing that could be a few inches. Careful when you remove the arm from the spindle because it is spring loaded, however this adjusted can be done by just about anyone without having to run to the dealer. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$500 seems high even with installation. My Suncruiser needed a new wiper motor last week and I paid $75 for the motor plus shipping. There are three bolts that hold it on, plus the center drive nut, so I installed it myself.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARS View Post
Steve, I have a 2008 3776 Astoria, My wipers in the "off" position were never level. The driver's side was always a bit higher, causing the wiper to travel over the curve at the top of the wiper stroke. I was able to remove the wiper arm from the center spindle (see KC1BUD's comment above) The spindle is grooved and if it is "not damaged", you can move the arm a notch or two to adjust. It does not take much, due to the length of the arm. At rest it will only move a small amount, however at the top of the swing that could be a few inches. Careful when you remove the arm from the spindle because it is spring loaded, however this adjusted can be done by just about anyone without having to run to the dealer. Good luck!

Thank you.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:26 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We will be entering our rainy season in a few days so I "treated" the windshield and have no need for wipers. I use either Rain-X or I have the detailer us a special wax on the windshield, which lasts longer than Rain-X. Here in Arizona I have to have the coach waxed from top to bottom every five months. Joe