RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 06:59 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Fridge quits when running sametime with other appliances

Hi all,
Not sure wether innam in the right forum. I imported a Damon Astoria to Holland. Now I have a problem thatvindo not understand. Our norcold fridge works on propane and also fine on A-C. But when it is on A-C,and I turn on the microwave or the waterheater the fridge stops working. It seems it does not get enough power then. But when i put on the airco’s and the fridge together there is no problem. I chequed all the 110 volt and 220 volt breakers and all the fuses.
Anyone has an idea?
Karel from Holland

Carel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carel View Post
Hi all,
Not sure wether innam in the right forum. I imported a Damon Astoria to Holland. Now I have a problem thatvindo not understand. Our norcold fridge works on propane and also fine on A-C. But when it is on A-C,and I turn on the microwave or the waterheater the fridge stops working. It seems it does not get enough power then. But when i put on the airco’s and the fridge together there is no problem. I chequed all the 110 volt and 220 volt breakers and all the fuses.
Anyone has an idea?
Karel from Holland

Only a guess as I don't know your coach, but you likely have an electrical management system (EMS) in your coach that sheds certain devices automatically when a potential overload is detected. In short, it gives priority to certain electrical items when the electrical draw is approaching its limits. The items you mention, the micro-wave, water heater, and A/C are very high draw devices and the EMS, if present, is likely dropping the refer while the temporary high draw device is in service.

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #3

Does it all work off the generator? How much power are you plugged into? When the micro wave cuts off does the fridge turn back on?
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Fridge should not be one of the appliances being 'shed'......it's AC draw is minimal

How do you know fridge 'quits' working?
If in 'AUTO' it should swap to 'GAS' if AC Power is dropped

Sounds more like you are having a DC Voltage issue

So post BRAND/MODEL of Fridge
Post 'how you know it quits' on AC
Error Codes, Loss of Display/Lights etc
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Fridge should not be one of the appliances being 'shed'......it's AC draw is minimal

How do you know fridge 'quits' working?
If in 'AUTO' it should swap to 'GAS' if AC Power is dropped

Sounds more like you are having a DC Voltage issue

So post BRAND/MODEL of Fridge
Post 'how you know it quits' on AC
Error Codes, Loss of Display/Lights etc

Hi
Thanks for all your answers. The fridge suddenly started doing this. It does it also on the onan 8000 generator. So a shortage in A-C power can not be it. I notice it because the fridge beeps and says “ no A-C” .
Before this happenend I have had the airco on and the heater on A-C. and used the micowave. No problem.
And indeed the A-C drawel is minimum.
I do not understand Witherspoon why it happend using microwave or heater and not withusing the airco.
It is a norcold 1210 A-C and propane. The coach is a Damon Astoria 3772 pacific edition.
Thanks for thinking with me.
Karel
Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carel View Post
Hi
Thanks for all your answers. The fridge suddenly started doing this. It does it also on the onan 8000 generator. So a shortage in A-C power can not be it. I notice it because the fridge beeps and says “ no A-C” .
Before this happenend I have had the airco on and the heater on A-C. and used the micowave. No problem.
And indeed the A-C drawel is minimum.
I do not understand Witherspoon why it happend using microwave or heater and not withusing the airco.
It is a norcold 1210 A-C and propane. The coach is a Damon Astoria 3772 pacific edition.
Thanks for thinking with me.
Karel

Just a question. I looked up your model as identified in this post. It states that the 1210 A C is electric only, not propane. That would account for it not cycling to gas when the AC interruption occurs. Can you confirm your model ID exactly?

See pg 3 in link, below.

http://rvrefrigeratorrepair.com/wp-c...d-Service-1210
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Just a question. I looked up your model as identified in this post. It states that the 1210 A C is electric only, not propane. That would account for it not cycling to gas when the AC interruption occurs. Can you confirm your model ID exactly?

See pg 3 in link, below.

http://rvrefrigeratorrepair.com/wp-c...d-Service-1210

OPs first post stated fridge works on propane and AC

OP
Are you operating fridge in 'AUTO' mode OR in AC Manual Mode??

'No AC' alarm...voltage has to drop below 85 volts

Need to measure AC Voltage AT the outlet fridge is plugged into WHEN you get the alarm and verify that in factor there is a LOSS of AC Voltage at the outlet.

IF AC Voltage at the outlet is Good (108V - 132V) then issue is with the fridge AC circuit...bad fuse clip/circuit board etc

IF AC Voltage at the outlet is LOST then issue is with the Power Management ....fridge circuit breaker could be on wrong AC Bus (one controlled by your EMS)

Need to isolate WHERE the AC Voltage is being lost.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OPs first post stated fridge works on propane and AC

OP
Are you operating fridge in 'AUTO' mode OR in AC Manual Mode??

'No AC' alarm...voltage has to drop below 85 volts

Need to measure AC Voltage AT the outlet fridge is plugged into WHEN you get the alarm and verify that in factor there is a LOSS of AC Voltage at the outlet.

IF AC Voltage at the outlet is Good (108V - 132V) then issue is with the fridge AC circuit...bad fuse clip/circuit board etc

IF AC Voltage at the outlet is LOST then issue is with the Power Management ....fridge circuit breaker could be on wrong AC Bus (one controlled by your EMS)

Need to isolate WHERE the AC Voltage is being lost.

That is indeed a very good idea. It happens in auto as well as in manual A-C mode. I will mesure the voltage at the fridgeoutlet , when operating the micro and / or heater.
When that indeed drops I know it is something in the managementsystem.
I will troubleshoot.
Thank you all for your answers. They weer indeed very helpfull.
Karel

Tags
fridge