Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2009, 12:38 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
10-4 on the RV Czar. I had a meeting with the owner of the dealership we purchased from when we got back and he assured us that our experience was out of bounds and he would get it resolved. Hope so as we did not have these issues with our two previous RV purchases. This is probably our last one so want to get it road reliable ASAP.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Everyone lost 1-2 MPG when the Ultra-Low Sulphur diesel came out
Elevation affects MPG since you lose horsepower
Going West is going up-hill
Each motor has its own optimum speed and RPMs for optimum horsepower, torque and MPG
Why would a turbocharged engine loose power with altitude? The turbo should compensate for the atmospheric lapse rate, right?
-dan
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeduffer View Post
Just completed a 500 mile run in fairly windy conditions, operating mostly at 62-63 mph in faily stong winds and produced 7.2 mpg. Kinda dissapointed but we only have 3.0k miles on the engine as of last evening. Looking to get lots better.

This was our shake-down and really a lousy trip equipment wise. Both AC's shut down and would not operate on shore or generator power. leveling contol panel seized with all indicator lights flashing, one of the leveler hydralics was peeing fluid all over the ground, HW heater wiring harness was not connected to control board, referigerator would not operate on propane, right front brakes squeeling like crazy and headlights very far out of adjustment. That is in addition to a 40+ item punch list from the PDI that is still being resolved.

We are still pleased with the Damon, but wondering about our dealer pre-delivery prep.
You are definitely not alone. My coach is 6 mos old with 7k miles on it and it is currently back in the shop for another 5 things wrong. I am now up to about 30 different fixes on the MH. I don't know about other manufacturers but I am truly disappointed with Damon. Curious how Tiffin rates?
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Robiniko what kind of issues did you have with the Tuscany,I like to know and get mentally prepared if you know whatI mean,I have had a few,but caught some before we bought and had repaired as part of the deal,I now have water heater want turn on gas or elect.waiting for part and will have board checked.Thanks for any info.

DBOL
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we might want to start a post with items gone wrong for comparison
maybe a time line of sorts
not a bash but maybe a way to compare failures and what miles or hrs we had these failures.

overall we are happy and we looked at many different brands and it came down to value for dollars spent. plus the economy crunch made it a real fair price. if we would had to spend close to msrp it would have a no go. mark up is to over the top in IMO
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Ya Robert:

I agree with your assessment. We were near the top of our budget as well, and the Damon was about the best deal in town. As I stated in another post we used the "yard time" of the unit as price negotiating leverage with the dealer so we were not entirely blind going in. In checking around this dealer had a good service resume, but in reading most posts it seems that all OEM's have like quality and service issues.

I really appreciate your taking the lead on the MTBF discussion of the Damon, and will feed the info from our 4076 as it develops.

Ciao for now
Old 12-01-2009, 04:33 AM   #21

If you want more ponies from your 6.7 cummings they can be acheived i have had mine done. The best way is to have your injectors replaced however that is the most expensive. the other is to have them rehoned out pick up around 90 HP really makes a difference. I have done this on 2 different Cummings motors with good success now average 10.5 mpg 08 astoria pacific.
aschuerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:20 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Aschuerg I looked at your site and is the Astoria new to you and was it new or used.Is the Cumnins in the Astoria differant than the one in the Tuscany?Before you did the Honing what was your milage?
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #23

Astoria is new 08 I have the 6.7 Isb Cummings motor just added aT&S power chip to the motor fuel mileage on my first trip in mountains was 11.0 per gal. AVERAGE SPEED 65 mph.
will be making a longer trip this week. Best I could get before was around 9 staying @ 55 mph.
With this new addition at 72mph i am only pulling 2000 rpm and the shift to high 6.6 gear is twice as fast as before.
Now the search is on for a DPF delete system that will really open up that 6.7 to it's potiential. This new coach has now got 1800 miles on it. I have a 6.7 in dodge ram with all the deletes in place getting 19 mpg and awsome pulling power.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschuerg View Post
Astoria is new 08 I have the 6.7 Isb Cummings motor just added aT&S power chip to the motor fuel mileage on my first trip in mountains was 11.0 per gal. AVERAGE SPEED 65 mph.
will be making a longer trip this week. Best I could get before was around 9 staying @ 55 mph.
With this new addition at 72mph i am only pulling 2000 rpm and the shift to high 6.6 gear is twice as fast as before.
Now the search is on for a DPF delete system that will really open up that 6.7 to it's potiential. This new coach has now got 1800 miles on it. I have a 6.7 in dodge ram with all the deletes in place getting 19 mpg and awsome pulling power.

Where did you get this?
Ron
Danorske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 AM   #25

T&S Diesel in Bowling green KY. $ 595.00 kind of a pain to install it's very tight in the engine compartmant. the hook is very simple however. if removed leaves no trace it was there.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the reason no body will touch the isc or isl for a dpf delete is that it is hard to sign off stating the engine will not be used ON ROAD, a big class A just inst the typical off road vehicle.
the 6.7 is put in trucks and (walk the thin line) can be classified as OFF road only,

the companies that make the kits have a disclaimer for you to sign that takes the liability off them and places on the end user.
the odds of a RV being emissions checked are getting bigger in the favor of the government entities

but i am still working the issue to by pass the dpf under certain conditions.
imo
Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #27

I would like more info on this. What is dpf? How hard is this thing to install?
Ron
Danorske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danorske View Post
I would like more info on this. What is dpf? How hard is this thing to install?
Ron
dpf diesel particulate filter, it traps the soot that an oil burner emits under some conditions.
its filled with a ceramic filter of some other material that traps the soot and has to be periodically burnt off to prevent CLOGGED flow of exhaust air.

it gets cleaned by raw fuel injected into the dpf and it gets super hot 1200-1500 f and burns off the soot
they can be very restrictive on flow......but some now are super efficient at flowing air.

and some are not
if you don't have one, don't ask for one.
mine works great...my shiny exhaust tip is still shiny inside no soot on the finger.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads