Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #1

Does anybody else have the Generac 4800 watt genny and have you run two Carrier A/C units at the same time? I was just outside playing in the dark so I don't have the specifics on the A/C units. Genny ran fine until I attempted so switch on the second air.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #2

Does anybody else have the Generac 4800 watt genny and have you run two Carrier A/C units at the same time? I was just outside playing in the dark so I don't have the specifics on the A/C units. Genny ran fine until I attempted so switch on the second air.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #3

I see that no one has responded. I take it is because no one has this Genset. I know my 5500 watt Onan is working hard with both A/C's on and running. I don't have the amp draw for my units but just off the cuff it sounds like it may be maxxed out especially if they both start at the same time.
Anyone have hard figures?

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #4

I believe they are rated at about 13 amps running but have a pretty high start current. The Onan 5500 is a 2 cylinder machine and is underrated for its size. The 7000 Onan is the same engine but they increase the rpm from 2400 to 2800 and probably re-cam it. The reason I bring this up is the generac 4800 is a single cylinder machine that is probably maxed out at 4800 watts so it struggles starting the second air especially at altitude.

Sam
Old 05-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I have the Onan 5500 on this and my previous RV and while I have not tried on this unit I know that my previous RV would not run both A/C's. That being said one was a 15K A/C and the second was a 13.5K A/C unit.

I know your's is a little different, but either way I do not think you will be able to run both very well, not to mention pop any pop corn in the microwave!!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:30 AM   #6

There is no reason a 5500 should not run 2 AC units unless you have too many other loads or you are very high up, above 8000 feet. Mine has run them both at 7500' and charged the batteries. A 4800 should still do it but you will probably have to run the reefer(3 amps) on gas and not have low batteries(7 amps). If you have an electric water heater(12 amps), turn it off. A TV or stereo is really no big deal as they are usually under an amp once they are on.

Sam
Old 05-29-2007, 03:03 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Excellent, I will give it a try!!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:59 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Onan 5500 and it does not seem to mind both AC's and a few other loads all at the same time (Hot water, 2 converters both capable of pulling close to 1,000 watts)

Kind of liked the salesman talking about the thing putting out 7300 watts (60 amps times 120 volts, it has 2 30 amp breakers) it's a 5500 of course
Old 05-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #9

I have no problem running 2 ac's on our 5500 watt onan.I do it quite often.Just got back from a trip to Florida,put about 9 hrs on it that trip.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #10

I'm convinced the Onan 5500 is more than adequate for two airs but does anyone have the generac 4800? Is Damon using generacs now or is this just a daybreak thing? I don't have anything against generac as my last rig had one and it was trouble free, but 4800 watts and one cylinder is a little light for two airs. However it is probably a grand cheaper than the Onan.

Sam

Sam
Old 05-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #11

I just checked Damon's website and they list a 5000 watt Generact Impact as standard for the Daybreak. A 5500 Marquis Gold as the only option. I seems that it's a money saving move.

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Onan 5500 on my Daybreak and it does'nt seem to have problems with 2 AC's converter and even the mic at the same time.
Sorry 4gone, we're probably just making you wish you had an Onan.
I also have a 5000 watt (contractor ?) generator on my motorcycle race trailer. I got it to give my expensive Onan a break. Even tho it seems to run fine, I'm afraid it may damage my AC unit. No way can it run two. Sometimes I have to turn the converter off and fridge on gas and the Carrier sometimes goes into error mode with the green light blinking.
The 5000 contractor generator puts out about 130+ volts with no load but drops to about 108 or 110 with one AC on. I don't think the Carrier AC likes this. Is this harmful? Very Harmful?
4gone, take a volt meter and check your voltage with no load and then again with loads added. This might tell you something.
As I remember, I don't think think my Onan drops any, or hardly any voltage when I add load to it.
If anyones Carrier ever goes into error mode, green light blinking, (it will not work)
I know how to reset it. I learned the hard way after spending a whole weekend in a very hot motorhome.
I also wish Damon would have put both AC units towards the front of he MH.
My front AC will cool down the front and the little bedroom but the rear AC does'nt hardly do any thing for the front part of the MH.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If anyones Carrier ever goes into error mode, green light blinking, (it will not work)
I know how to reset it. I learned the hard way after spending a whole weekend in a very hot motorhome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Now come on Max, that's not fair. You reset it by removing the DC power. Hitting the battery disconnect will do the trick.

Sam
Old 05-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. Not really a big deal for me since the only time I ever ran two at once in the past was in FL in July. On my last class A I actually removed the rear a/c and put in a fantastic fan because for boondocking in state parks it kept us cooler. I'm actually thinking of doing the same to this one.