RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got cable now and am happy with it but since I have a Motorhome, I thought I should have Direct or Dish.
The nice lady I ordered it from at Direct knew nothing about being able to take it in a MH. She was impressed and started asking me about it. She said she is working on being able to afford a mh some day. In other words, she knew nothing about it.
So I'm going to ask my friends here on the Damon forum: what I need to buy and where from.
Do I just hook up the cable from the dish to the same place on the Damon where I would plug cable TV into? I hope so.
I think my coach came 'satelite ready' or something like that. But I dont know. I just know there is a place in the utility compartment to hook up cable, telephone etc.
In the overhead cabinmet, above the driver there is a couple of 'cable' wires that I have no idea what they are for. They both have male ends and I've always just ignored them.
My power antenna and VCR/ DVD player and more cable wires are in the overhead above the passenger and they are the ones I use.
Got any tips for me?
Any body know what those cable wires are for above the driver?
Thanks in advance.
I'm not getting it installed in my stick house until june 20th . I'm kinda excited about this, I just hope I can make it work in the MH.

Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got cable now and am happy with it but since I have a Motorhome, I thought I should have Direct or Dish.
The nice lady I ordered it from at Direct knew nothing about being able to take it in a MH. She was impressed and started asking me about it. She said she is working on being able to afford a mh some day. In other words, she knew nothing about it.
So I'm going to ask my friends here on the Damon forum: what I need to buy and where from.
Do I just hook up the cable from the dish to the same place on the Damon where I would plug cable TV into? I hope so.
I think my coach came 'satelite ready' or something like that. But I dont know. I just know there is a place in the utility compartment to hook up cable, telephone etc.
In the overhead cabinmet, above the driver there is a couple of 'cable' wires that I have no idea what they are for. They both have male ends and I've always just ignored them.
My power antenna and VCR/ DVD player and more cable wires are in the overhead above the passenger and they are the ones I use.
Got any tips for me?
Any body know what those cable wires are for above the driver?
Thanks in advance.
I'm not getting it installed in my stick house until june 20th . I'm kinda excited about this, I just hope I can make it work in the MH.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 AM   #3

I have Direct tv in my home and have another receiver that stays in the MH. I have a dish mounted on the roof with the digital magic elevation sensor. It is very easy to use. Just go through the setup, enter zip code where you are located and it gives you the elevation and direction for the dish. I like this setup because it is very quick to set up.

That said , depending on where you camp trees might be an issue so a portable set-up might be better. If you have an obstruction with a roof mounted system it's move the coach or do without. I don't know the specifics about leveling and aiming the dish with a portable model.

I believe your cable input jack will work fine.

The only other issue you may have is if your coach goes unused for a period of time you may have to call the customer service number to get the receiver reset. This is a 5 minute deal not an issue unless you are in a spot with no cell service (check the setup before you leave home in this case and make sure it is working if you know cell service is an issue) You could use a land line but you kind of need to see the tv to do the setup. I find it takes several weeks to months of non use before you might have to call.

The satelite ready feature is for roof mounted systems, means the wires are already run in the ceiling. This might be what you are seeing in the overhead cabinet.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just placed an order for Direc TV, I've had dish. With Dish I went to my local dealer and took care of everything there (Not the best choice) with Direc I did it over the phone, took a few phone calls because first they switched me to their "KVH division" (Actually it's KVH, makers of IIRC King Dome and I don't use a King Dome I use a Motosat Dome)

2nd time I got to someone who knew which hole you did with a shovel.

My Damon was also advertised as "Sat-tv ready" but alas, Damon uses (or used) the WRONG cable, (RG-59) which is much higher loss (up to 4 or 5 times the loss per foot) as good RG-6 so we did not use it, All this means is there is a power line (12vdc) and a coax line to a spot under the roof and hopefully some indication of where that spot is (Sticker or in my case an extra "Vent pipe")

To receive Direc TV you need only 3 or 4 things

1: An antenna (This is the dish thing that goes outside) your choices here are a Ground (tripod) mounted dish, A Rooftop mounted dish and a DOME, Domes can be "Parked only" or "in-motion" mine is in-motion. More on antennas after receivers.
but I suggest a dome/tripod combination, This will involve adding a switch as well. Again more later.

You also need a receiver.. The R-15 will time shift for you, it can record 2 programs while watching a 3rd and Direc tells me the 3rd can be live or recorded. Alas only one set of outputs though so you can only WATCH one at a time (Bummer, I used to use a dish 625 2 inputs, 2 outputs, you could record 1 or two shows and watch one while wife watched the other, or you could watch a live while wife watched another, or any combination of those including watching one pre-recorded show, while wife watched another, and two more were recording)

There is a work-a-round however.

Last: you need an account: here again you have choices:
1: No network television (Use only OTA (Batwing) Antenna for OTA.
2: Local (Local to your billing/service address
3: Distant (you will have to download a form from Direc, print and fill out, attach a photo copy of your license and RV registration, mail in) Harder to type than to do)

Now: I promised more on antennas.

First the dome/tripod bit.

To do this you need to add a standard A/B antenna switch (one per input, The R-15 has 2 inputs, some receivers have only one) I suggest you hook the line from the roof to "A" and the line to the tripod connection to "B" (A-bove and B-elow) Run a brand new hunk of RG-6 to either a compartment, or a bulkhead connector (Through wall) with a weather cover.. I have a gasser my external tripod in connector is under the hook on the bracket for the brake master cylinder (handy and weather protected)

The other antenna issue is HDTV or Standard. Domes work best with standard though I do understand that the newer domes can auto-switch from one sat to another so they can do Direc, Dish and HDTV (1,2 and 3 sats respectively)

Motosat (www.motosat.com) makes a bunch of rooftop DISHES, These are automatic, One is a Solo LNB (don't know if it's a single or dual) one is a twin and one is designed for HDTV (tripple) All are automatic, Park, level push a button, watch tv.

(NOTE: Solo, twin and triplet refer to the number of actuall "heads" or LNB's on the dish arm, Single/Dual refer to the number of coax fittings on the LNB, Dual receivers need either two heads or two coax fittings on one head. Due to the shape of the plastic lens cover some folks refer to these "heads" as "Hockey Pucks")

And that about covers it.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #5

Max, mine will be short since I have Dish.

My RV is also 05 and maybe I am lucky but the wires ran by factory is fine. I had a crank up dish with digital meter installed. Not sure on cost but around $500.00 or so. Forget the name, but I bought a box that you connect Sat., Bat wing, DVR. Just press SAT and your are on Sat signal. If you used your outside connection and a portable dish, you would press Cable.

I have to pick either (for Dish) sat 110 or 119 since you can not have a Dish 500 mounted on a RV. Takes about two minutes to set up.

I read once where one person used wireless head set to set up a portable dish. Once you set the dish up using compass, he could hear the signal beep and not have to yell to a second person. Have not tried this. Have a portable dish but have never used it. If we are in the woods, I just enjoy the woods and forget TV.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For a short run the installed cable will work, But a nice fresh chunk of RG-6 works BETTER.

Or let's put it this way, We often talk about extension cords and how there is power loss and if you are going to run an RV a long way from the outlet you need a BIG HEAVY CORD.

Same is true of Coax, only it's signal loss

25 feet of low cost RG-59, per Belden, who makes the cable, is about the same (At 1Ghz) as 100 feet of quality RG-6 Losses are greater at 2Ghz (Where the sats live) I've not charted to predict. Will have to do that.

I have the chart as a PDF if you want it, lists lots of different coax cables, both 52 and 75 Ohm. Very informative Or you could check if it's on Belden's web site.

I got mine off a CD-rom
Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks guys, I have to admit, it starting to sound confusing. I'll just have to wait til I get it and hope to figure it out. I know Camping World sells a portable tripod dish and they sell this thing that tells you when you have picked up the signal. Maybe I need this, I don't know.
But John what is "Distant?" . Does every body who uses Direct TV with their MH have to do that? I just thought I'd take a receiver from the house , aim the dish at the satelite and watch TV.
Sometimes I think I am the only MH without satelite TV. Im surprised both Dish and Direct act like they know nothing about their service in a MH.
My acct. will be thru Direct TV. I did'nt know there were others like Motosat.
I think my wires are marked RG6
Old 06-14-2007, 05:07 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, Two questions: 1: Do you need the thing that finds the satellites (Sat-Finder). Personally, I prefer to use a small portable TV, but then I have one in stock. I find it works better, at least with DISH, have not tried with DIREC yet, Dish has better tools built in.

What is Distant:

All the world's a stage and all the people on it the actors (Shakesphear IIRC)

Think of a stage with a map of the US painted on it. A SPOT operator shines his light on your house. This is what is called, strangly enough, a SPOT BEAM. Your local network stations are, in all but a few (You have more fingers on one hand) cases on a SPOT beam. if you move out of the beam... NO network tv (Network is ABC, CBS and the like)

However there are a couple of cities that are on what we call ConUS beams These are flood lights that light up the ENTIRE stage IT does not matter how far (How DISTANT) you are from those cities, so long as you are on the stage they will "light you up"

And that is "Distant Network Service"

ConUS by the way = Con(tential) U(nited) S(tates) in case you are guessing, all 48 states with some of the adjecent waters and some spill over into Canada and/or Mexico. I do not know about Alaska.

Some channels (HBO, CINIMAX, PPV's, Oxygen and many more) are what they call "National" channels... They too are on the ConUS beams (Flood light beam)

For more info on what channels are on what kind of beam, and where the beam beams

http://www.lyngsat.com
Same link live
Old 06-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #9

Basically you won't get your local stations when you are away from home. I forget the distance you have to be away for this to happen. I was 170 miles from home last weekend and got my locals. 1200 miles away in FL, no locals. Otherwise worked same as home. Not nearly as complicated as it can be made out to seem. Once you get it set up once it is pretty easy after that.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not getting Direct afterall.
Disappointed but I guess it;s not meant to be.
We were going to get 5 receivers and they were having such a hard time with the install that they said they could only do 3 and the main living was one they could'nt do. Then they disconnected my cable internet and could'nt get it working again. I told them to just forget the whole thing since they could'nt give me what I ordered. They were OK with that and we finally got the the internet working again.
I wish there was a reasonable way to just get Direct TV for the MH and just keep cable for the house. Cable already costs me $50 + per month and another $50 a mo for Direct TV is only for the rich and famous. Does any body know a cheaper way or another idea?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I, on the other hand, had Direc installed in my Damon Thursday last, Configured it this morning, Looking good Antenna is a Motosat T-2 Automotion DP with De-stackers, Receiver is a R-15 (Wish it was an R-10) few "Bumps" but it's working just fine... I'm in the middle of a field just now, No anything, but it's working
Old 06-25-2007, 04:08 AM   #12

Max, I went with Dish due to cost per month of receivers.
Dish has dual receivers, meaning one receiver will operate two TV's independantly. The second receiver cost me $5 month and I have four TV's hooked up. I also had to let my TV in the shop go as they said they could not hook it up as a slave. I did not want to pay and additional monthy fee. I have the option of putting my spare Dish up, buying the receiver and adding it for the $5 fee but so far have just been using rabbit ears.
Now to tell you more than I know. My house was prewired for cable. Dish uses the existing wires and backfeed thru the lines for a receiver to operate two sets. I elected to also pay the $5 month fee for DVR which we love.
I bought a receiver for the RV as I did not want to take one out of the house and fool with the hook up. So, I get one receiver that operates two sets in the basic price, pay $5 for second reciver for another two sets and $5 for DVR. Also pay $5 for RV receiver that operates three TV's but all have to be on same station. By the way, the house remotes work great even thou for example, the kitchen TV receiver is upstairs in the guest bedroom.
Bad part, in RV, I have to choose 110 or 119 as my dish is not automatic but this works fine for us. Not supposed to be dependant on TV while camping.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #13

Since I had a MH I decided to go with SAT. I choose Directv because at the time,DISH required 2 antennas. At first I went with the tripod type setup but spent so much time on setup that it didn't seem to be worth the effort. Then I bought a Winguard in-motion dome that services 2 receivers. On my 2001 Intruder 350 the "sat ready" was for the R-59 cable. No electric. I tried to pull R-6 through to replace the R-59 but couldn't. So I used the R-59. After all, I only have an analog tv. I pushed a hole longitudinally through the roof to a point where I could find space for the switch(off/on). Since the 350 is an outside hall to the back, there was ample space next to the side switches. I ran the electric and R-6 cable through this opening to the switch and then through openings I found back to the circuit panel in the bedroom and to a second receiver. My problem has been setting up the signal from the front through the existing cable and hooking up the sat since the back tv only has one input (coxial) . I also made it harder by upgrading my receivers to HD. They do not have any coxial output. I think this is a good excuse to get those LCD TVs I wanted. I use my home receivers and just told Directv which ones I was using. Hope this wasn't too confusing and helps.

Tarheel 62 is offline   Reply With Quote