Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Good Sams Extended warranty

What do you think about Good sams extended warranty DP M/H!
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Put the cost of that into a savings account and add a bit to it each month. You'll be money ahead paying for your repairs.
soberjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Darrel
after we purchased our rig i looked into it and was shocked by the price and the small time frame it covered.
I agree with putting $$ in a savings account then using that.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #4

It's like any insurance policy; they are betting that nothing bad will happen and they will get a lot of premiums. You are betting that a lot bad will happen, and you will not have paid many premiums. Realistically, the odds are skewed in favor of the insurance companies (in this case, Good Sam) since they are in business to make a profit. There's nothing wrong with this if you choose to buy the warranty.

My personal opinion is to save the premium. If you subscribe to Motorhome magazine, read the many Action Line requests for help with denied premiums. And, this magazine is owned by the same company (Affinity Group) that sells the insurance (!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
What do you think about Good sams extended warranty DP M/H!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When I bought my new Monaco this year it came without a warranty. Because of that, I was able to negotiate a great price, and saved about $30,000 over a warrantied unit.

Then, I got the Good Sam Extended Warranty and selected the lowest premium, longest duration, highest deductible. This meant a 4 year policy with $500 deductible for $1,200 or so premium. Sure, $1,200 is still a lot of money but if any major problem occurred during the next 4 years I am mostly covered. This was peace of mind for me, so I think it was worth it.

That said, you still have to be careful as the policy excludes many things that frequently go wrong. Read the policy terms carefully and decide if the cost is worth it for you, and make your decision based on your needs.

== John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Short version is that an extended warranty is a gamble between you and the warranty company.

You are betting there is a major problem during the warranty period which will cost more than the warranty price.

The warranty company is betting just the opposite.

It really comes down to whether you want to take the gamble or not. Each person can answer that question for themselves.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Is this the sentiment for ANY policy or specifically the Good Sam policy?
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote