Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by melving View Post
Good luck on the tires! We ordered our Challenger 355 in Dec 2006 and received it in Jan 07. Ours came with Goodyear G670's date coded 2806. We had no problem till this summer. Had a inner dual sidewall blowout at 17,800 miles. Goodyear has a 6 year warranty against defects, so they paid a good portion of the price for a new tire. Defective tire?, it happens. Another 130 miles and we had another tire blowout, this time a steering wheel. Blowout was in the same spot on the sidewall. We had that one replaced on the road, thanks to good sam's road side service. Made it to the campgrounds and I took time to inspect the remaining 4 tires. Found the sidewall bubbling on another one. I've worked with Goodyear on the remaining tires, they claim there is no issue with that series of tires, but they decided to replace all my remaining tires with new ones at no charge. So those of you with Goodyear G670's might want to look at your tires.
Well looks like I will be contacting Goodyear also. I have G670's and blew 2 inner walls, one last year drivers front and one this month inner drivers rear. These tires are dated 0606. Both blew the same way about a 2x2 inch patch. Here are the pictures. Left 09 right this month, both on the highway and Goodsams replaced them.

Melving what # or email did you use to contact Goodyear?

Thanks for your info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire 09.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	6751   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire10.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	6752  

Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
Well looks like I will be contacting Goodyear also. I have G670's and blew 2 inner walls, one last year drivers front and one this month inner drivers rear. These tires are dated 0606. Both blew the same way about a 2x2 inch patch. Here are the pictures. Left 09 right this month, both on the highway and Goodsams replaced them.

Melving what # or email did you use to contact Goodyear?

Thanks for your info.
Hello, your blowout looks exactly like mine. Had two that blew that way and a third ready to blow. Go to Goodyear's site and find the warranty on the 670's. Goodyear carries a 6 warranty on those. The newer ones, like they replaced on mine carry only a 5 year warranty on defects and 7 year on uv protection. I will get my folder from the house this afternoon and post the phone# for you. Got a call back also on email from a area rep on this link On The Wings of Goodyear | RV Tires - Related Info - Contact Form Hope you have your receipts and tires, I think Goodyear will be good to honor your claim. Melvin
melving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, for the info I typed a msg to Goodyear and I will call the # on the warantee. I have the receipts but not the tires, we'll see what they say.

Ron
Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Hello, your blowout looks exactly like mine. Had two that blew that way and a third ready to blow. Go to Goodyear's site and find the warranty on the 670's. Goodyear carries a 6 warranty on those. The newer ones, like they replaced on mine carry only a 5 year warranty on defects and 7 year on uv protection. I will get my folder from the house this afternoon and post the phone# for you. Got a call back also on email from a area rep on this link On The Wings of Goodyear | RV Tires - Related Info - Contact Form Hope you have your receipts and tires, I think Goodyear will be good to honor your claim. Melvin
Hello again, the number I called to get ahold of Goodyear customer service was 800-321-2136. They are located in Akron, Ohio eastern time zone. Hours were 9:00am to 4:30pm.... Melvin
Old 11-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
My Damon Astoria was always pulling to the right. Freightliner checked the alignment and it was with in specs. I went to Henderson's Lineup in Grants Pass OR in May and they checked the alignment and installed the Safe - T - Steer. We then went on a 12,000 mile trip to Alaska and Canada. No more pull, no adnormal tire wear. We now have 27,000 miles on our 2008 M/H. So easy to drive.

SteveOGilroy
08 Damon Astoria 3786
00 Avalon toad
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #20

I am going to check my tires. I have Goodyear G670's as well from 06. No problems yet, but I only have about 9k on my rig.

Bill
Old 11-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
I am going to check my tires. I have Goodyear G670's as well from 06. No problems yet, but I only have about 9k on my rig.

Bill
Hello Bill, I have attached a couple of pictures of mine. You will note the bubble on the one. I would be looking for something similar to that.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the message I received from Goodyear ------ guess I'll have to build a tire rack to carry the blown tires so they can see them. NOT!

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Ronald,

Thank you for contacting our web site. We are always concerned when we
learn that we have failed to exceed a customer's expectations with regards
to our product or service.

All Goodyear tires come with a six year limited warranty against
workmanship or material related conditions that have occurred during the
manufacturing process. During the first 12 months or 2/32 of tread wear,
which ever comes first, workmanship or material conditions are replaced
with a comparable Goodyear product free of charge, mounting and balancing
included.

After the no charge period, tires experiencing a workmanship or material
condition that occurred during the manufacturing process are replaced with
a comparable Goodyear product on a prorata basis with the consumer paying
for the mounting and balancing.

Without inspecting the tire in question we could not comment as to it's
cause or condition.

Goodyear relies on a network of retail locations, both Company Owned and
Independent to determine warranty eligibility. If your tire is still
available and has not been inspected by an authorized Goodyear retailer we
would suggest you do so. You can locate your nearest authorized retailer
by calling toll free 1-800-466-3932 or on our web site at the following
path: Goodyear Tires | Retail Locator | Search Form

If after inspecting your tires the authorized retailer is unable to assist
you please ask them to contact our Customer Assistance Center toll free at
1-800-321-2136 to discuss your situation with one of our Customer
Assistance Professionals.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Hello Bill, I have attached a couple of pictures of mine. You will note the bubble on the one. I would be looking for something similar to that.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thanks for the pics Melvin. I did a primary visual inspection, and so far they look okay. The visual inspection will be a daily one when in use. Thanks for the helpful information.

Bill
Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #24

All, a followup on my experience with Goodyear on the blowouts. They replaced all the tires at no cost to me except for the first two that blew out, which they paid for the actual tires, but I was out the cost of mounting and balancing. Also, they replaced them with G rated tires for some reason. The new G670 state maximum tire pressure of 105, instead of 95 as on the older set. It was mentioned during the numerous conversations with Goodyear management that there had been a change in early 2006 in the tire. What I gathered from the conversation that load requirements were "adjusted" and the tire pressure revised upwards. Damon coach orginially called for 80lbs on my coach, and I had kept the older tires at 90lbs, five under the max on the sidewalls. The dealer that changed my tires put the new set at 100lbs and recommended I stay at that. Hopefully, I can get more than 17,000 out this set before I have problems. Goodyear warranty seems to work if you stay after them.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Melvin,
Great to know they stood behind their product. I have 29000 miles on my 2008 Astoria and the tires all still look new. Good luck.

Steve
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #26

Melving,

I have the same year build coach and week tires as your 355. I blew an inside left rear 3 days ago in 70s weather, psi at 90, only 100 miles down the road, 12.5k miles. Coach net hooked us up quickly and we were on our way. We only weigh in at 19960, well under the limit and perhaps too much PSI for that weight.

Inspection of the remaining tires appears good to the naked eye, although I can't see the right inner dual since I can't remove the outside wheel. The replacement was like sized Hercules as that was my only choice. I am going to see how that Herc runs and from most threads on the Herc, there isn't alot of negative or positive. Seems if it is from China stay away from it, but no actual users of the tires saying that...

Today we move onwards 200 miles, so hope all goes well.

Leonsrocketcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #27

Seems I hear from different people with the same problem with this series of tires. I would contact Goodyear, unless your tire is older than 6 years on the date code they will honor the warranty on defects. All the pictures I have seen so far show the same pattern of blowouts. I doubt that you are over pressuring your tires. If anything talking with Goodyear reps you might want to bump the air pressure up. But, again please check with a tire store, I am no expert in this area. Happy Holidays and have a safe trip. We head out after the first of the year to spend a few weeks in Florida.

Melvin
Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Goodyear

We have Michelins on our Ford F53 with 12,000 miles and they look like we just put them on. We have owned coach since August of this year and run the MH every two weeks approximately 50 miles or more if traveling. Has anyone done rotaing of all 6 tires and at how many miles