RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #1

I never thought I would pay to watch television, but of course I have. I never, ever, thought I would pay to listen to radio but last year my son gave me a XM radio with a years subscription. This was just before our trip to South Carolina so the timing was perfect. Now, how to install it.
I read up on the XM radio and learned that the antenna broadcasts a signal that can be picked up on the radio.(so you don't have to hard wire it in) They said that the sound quality wouldn't be as good but I found out it is actually very good for me. Further reading led me to discover that the antenna doesn't have to be mounted outside. It can "look" through glass, or fiberglass.
I mounted the reciever on the dash, ran the power wire, and snaked the antenna wire up the B pillar to the cabinets. I removed the TV (for the first time) and saw that each cabinet was a box, meaning that there was a nice flat surface to mount the antenna on. I used Velcro and just stuck it on. What was better, no holes to drill.

The result? Awesome! (I hate to admit) I liked it so much I bought another mounting kit and antenna for my car so I can swap back and forth.

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #2

I never thought I would pay to watch television, but of course I have. I never, ever, thought I would pay to listen to radio but last year my son gave me a XM radio with a years subscription. This was just before our trip to South Carolina so the timing was perfect. Now, how to install it.
I read up on the XM radio and learned that the antenna broadcasts a signal that can be picked up on the radio.(so you don't have to hard wire it in) They said that the sound quality wouldn't be as good but I found out it is actually very good for me. Further reading led me to discover that the antenna doesn't have to be mounted outside. It can "look" through glass, or fiberglass.
I mounted the reciever on the dash, ran the power wire, and snaked the antenna wire up the B pillar to the cabinets. I removed the TV (for the first time) and saw that each cabinet was a box, meaning that there was a nice flat surface to mount the antenna on. I used Velcro and just stuck it on. What was better, no holes to drill.

The result? Awesome! (I hate to admit) I liked it so much I bought another mounting kit and antenna for my car so I can swap back and forth.

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #3

I like XM or should I say the kids like XM. Children programming is alot better than regular radio. I put an external antenna on the dash and have good reception. I'm going to do what you did one of these days!

From the XM receiver to the radio I only had to use a mini headphone cable to the AUX port on my radio. I think it is a better feed than the FM modulator.

I let the XM subscription lapse on my Tahoe and XM offered me a one year sub ($77) and an additonal receiver with 6 months ($50.) I think I'll let my subs laspe all of the time!

Gerald
Old 04-13-2007, 03:02 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Excellent! I actually replaced my head unit with one that is XM Radio ready (no FM modulator or Aux input needed). I mounted the XM radio behind the dash and it is fully controllable from the head unit, with the antenna mounted on the dash. I especially like XM to listen to baseball on the road.

The head unit also has the ability to control (and charge) my iPod for the low cost of an additional cable ($29).
Old 04-13-2007, 05:12 AM   #5

I got a Sony head unit that says it is Sat ready but I couldn't figgure out how. Since I bought the ipod interface (which we use more the XM) I'm thinking it must also attach there. I did really put much thought into until today. I would definately like to be able to control the XM from the radio!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:01 AM   #6

My rv radio came sirius ready,but you need to buy an add on box.I would have went this route but could not locate a remote control for head unit. I instead got a small sirius unit and mounted it through the dash and hard wired it to aux. input.I just like having the remote while driving.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Provelogear:
I got a Sony head unit that says it is Sat ready but I couldn't figgure out how. Since I bought the ipod interface (which we use more the XM) I'm thinking it must also attach there. I did really put much thought into until today. I would definately like to be able to control the XM from the radio! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Pioneer has two ports on the back, one specifically for the iPod and the other is for other accessories (i.e. CD changer, XM, Sirius, handsfree bluetooth, etc.). The port for other accessories will allow you to daisy chain the accessories together. Not sure if this helps...

Also, I forgot to mention in my previous post, I have the Pioneer wireless, steering wheel mount remote control. So, my hands never have to leave the wheel!!