Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
inverter

I have read the book a few times,
what circuit does the inverter power up when its on? or does it power up the coach and limits loads to 2500 watts, so i could run the micro or fridge going down the road?
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #2

Powrboatr,
The inverter would in fact run the micro or the refrigerator off of your batteries. I would not do this as they will deplete your batteries big time. If off of the power grid, run the refrigerator on LP gas, takes very little. I would always run the microwave with the generator running, as it only takes 1/4 gal per hour of diesel fuel. Be careful with the refrigerator, as when I set mine ot AUTO, (when disconnected from electricity), the refrigerator should go to LP gas use automatically, but mine goes to running off the inverter which will run your batteries down rapidly. I have to set mine to run LP, instead of automatically when not hooked up to power.
Alan
Alan Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
So far what little I have "played" with the inverter, it turns on the micro, tv's, satellite, etc. I believe as you stated it will run everything up to 2500 watts. Mine has the power management system so I think some things can be selected. Still new, so still "playing" and figuring too
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks folks
my intent is to run it when we disconnect from shore power and running down the road,
getting real tired of resetting all the clocks
usually run the fridge on propane when we are scooting along
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides

Old 04-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I bought my inverter at a 'ham-vention' (amateur radio flea market) and installed it myself. Its a MSW 1000w. I use mine to run my laptop and other wall-wart devices when I'm going down the road. Don't use it when parked usually, because we are usually connected to shore power then.

cheers.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #6

Hi There,
Your question is best answered in the website entitled, "12V side of life" under the topic Inverter. A lot of infos are clearly explained not only inverted current but other rv electrical issues.
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
thanks folks
my intent is to run it when we disconnect from shore power and running down the road,
getting real tired of resetting all the clocks
usually run the fridge on propane when we are scooting along
You could run the genset while on the road as well. I think it would be more efficient too. That is what we do...

Bill
Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Actually if you are not going to run the roof top A/C units the inverter is just fine to run the fridge and other minor stuff with. When it is cold enough out we do this so the kids can watch movies, play video games, etc.

We run the generator if we are using the A/C units or the washer/dryer. If the kids do not go with us we leave both off it we do not need the A/C.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
on this last trip i ran the genny when we started out while i was getting everything ready to go, then about 2hrs down the road i noticed the green light was on
at this rate i will need an oil change real soon

Old 05-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What does the inverter power up when on.. Depends. Normally (There are always exceptions) a coach with an inverter has two circuit breaker panels or one panel in multiple parts.. The 2nd (or 3rd) part is called a "Sub Panel" and that's what the inverter powers

300-600 watt normally run televisions, sat receivers, radios, and the like and not much of anythign else.

1500-2500 add the microwave

3000 and above may try to power the whole house (Well one ac anyway) but I don't recommend it.

I have been in one rig that did it that way though