Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #127

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
your picture is misleading to me....then i saw

on ours the panel unscrews and i can reach in pretty well. the valve shouldn't have been turned. unless you were putting in the pink stuff
I had a weird rattle pulse sound in the same area and swapped out the rubber feed line with a ss hose and clamped it up, now the pump is sooooooo quiet

i will tell you from exp. if you remove the BIG black panel at eh water fill side....the fresh tank is a piece of cake to remove....
makes for fixing the holding tanks a piece of cake if it happens in the future
Very informative. Our 2010 Astoria 3470 has a very noisy water pump. I will try using SS (presume stainless steel?) hose vs rubber.

LEZM3
2010 Damon Astoria 3470
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex LTD
U.S. Navy Retired
LEZM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #128

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunner View Post
Fellow Astoria owners, we had a very successful trip to Elkhart, IN to the Thor factory.

We arrived on Sunday and the tech team arrived at our coach promptly at 7:15 am on Monday morning. The sewer opening was one of the first things to be changed with a much larger opening made. The leaking shower was fixed, windshield wiper apparatus was tightened and the 28 inch wiper blade secured.

The leaking bays was an interesting solution being 2 part. The first part was that we (husband and I) thought the water was coming in from the bottom of the bays, however it was coming off the tire back splash at the top where wires go through the bay at the top right of both bays. Secondly the ran the coach through the rain bay and replaced all the seals around each bay door. They also aligned the doors perfectly which was an issue for us.

They replace the two broken side chairs in the coach, fixed some items we didn't even know needed repair. Reprogrammed the day/night shades so they work properly. Oh, repaired damaged paint from the errant wiper blade episode and weather stripping around the door.

All in all it was a very successful trip. Forgot to mention they actually moved the water pump so it is accessible for winterizing and cleaning the filter.

Everything Thor did Camping World had told us couldn't be done.

Barb
We visited Thor in Elkhart in 2012 with our original Avanti3106. Very impressed with their customer service and service excellence. Thor is a manufacturer that definitely stands with their customers to resolve issues.

LEZM3
2010 Astoria 3470
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
U.S. Navy Retired
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #129

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunner View Post
Jim, sorry to hear about the roof problems but it is good Thor is replacing it. We are headed back to Thor in September to get the shower leak resolved. The shower was not assembled correctly in my opinion so it will be interesting to see if they remove it and start over. We also still have the passenger side 2 front bays with leaks so they will be working on those again.
Just read about your terrific mileage on your recent trip, wow, hope ours creeps up over time. Overall we are very pleased with the Astoria and it is just the usual working out the bugs. Oh, we are also seriously considering the wireless auto gen start, anyone have experience with the Onan EC-30W? Since we have a small poodle (Homer) and his buddy Dickens (cat) we are concerned about leaving them in hot weather without a auto gen start.

Still working on fridge replacement but getting closer to a solution. Will let everyone know what happens on that front.
we have had the Onan EC-30W and love the 'peace of mind' it provides. very simple to install and really works. the directions are 'okay' but could be better.

LEZM3
2010 Astoria 3470
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex LTD
U.S. Navy Retired
Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #130

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the group Keith it's good to have another member who owns one of the last models of the old style Astoria's like me with my 3772.
My rig has an Onan 6000 genset which up to until now has run faithfully. After a month long lay up I started it up and was surprised that it ran so rough. It runs ok for 30 secs or so and then surges up and coughs and belches black smoke and then runs ok again for 30 secs or so and repeats. During this erratic running it will not energize the coach 110v system. The monitor in the start switch indicated a fault code 38 which is an overloaded demand on the genset but no appliances where turned on.
Anybody else experiences this?
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #131

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Jim, I think my Awning attaches on the sides and not the roof. Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
Jim, I think my Awning attaches on the sides and not the roof. Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?
Hey Steve,

I think I attached a pic...of the roof with the TPO removed. But anyway my awning attaches to the roof...and I guess some of the screws were not sealed well enough causing the plywood to absorb the water...

Its a 2011 Astoria 40FT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tessie Roof.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	45118  
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #133

Anybody have AC issues? Tailgating in 105 digress and it's 97 in Thor.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #134

Wow...both A/C's? That is weird...
Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #135

Damon Owners Club
LEZM3, thanks for the info on the EC-30W, we are going to Elkart on the 16th so will probably stop in at the Cummins shop and pick one up.

We are having the Norcold fridge replaced with a Samsung 197AC tomorrow, looking forward to a residential fridge, hope the install is uneventful.

Barb
bbunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #136

This weekend we were boondocking and tailgating for the college football opener. The burnt air to was 105 parked on asphalt how cool should I expect the interior of the RV to be? The inside temp got up into the high 90s with ACs set at 70. Is this normal? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Also any comments as to brand and model of your favorite cooling system. I'm very disappointed in my '11 Damon Astoria's performance in the heat.

So, today I'm having the 13,500 BTU Coleman ACs replaced with the Dometic 15,000 BTU High Capacity ACs. I hope that this will provide enough capacity to overcome the heat gain on hot Texas days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-609673806.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	45339  
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #137

Mr.Estes did you notice if water was sitting on your roof by your awning mine seems to hold some . checked for softness but found none but wondering how long before it permeates through the membrane
lobeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #138

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
Hey Steve,

I think I attached a pic...of the roof with the TPO removed. But anyway my awning attaches to the roof...and I guess some of the screws were not sealed well enough causing the plywood to absorb the water...

Its a 2011 Astoria 40FT
Jim, thanks for posting the picture. I climbed up on the roof and I see my awning is also attached to the roof. All screws are covered with sealant. The roof feels solid. Was your roof soft and spongy?

Steve
Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #139

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
High 90's! On our 2008 Astoria 3786 when in hot areas we keep the AC unit on all the time in the day. During a recent trip the SW when the outside temp was over 100 the inside was in the mid 80s. We have found the only way to stay cool is to start the AC before it warms up inside. Once the inside is hot it doesn't cool quickly.

I'll be interested in to see how the 15k s workout.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobeaux View Post
Mr.Estes did you notice if water was sitting on your roof by your awning mine seems to hold some . checked for softness but found none but wondering how long before it permeates through the membrane
Water will stand up there when the coach is level...and Steve...I thought I felt a few soft spots but they were a ays from the awning and leaking area...the Techs at CW found it when they were working on my slide topper...

There was never any evidence inside the coach of a leak...that plywood soaks water up...but soft mushy spots would be a sure sign...

Water will not permeate through the TPO...that is tuff stuff...it is the holes in it that stuff attaches to the plywood sub-roof not being sealed correctly that causes the leaks...