Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #239

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
Oil leak? Interesting. Tell more, please
Maiden voyage from NJ to The Fla Keys. First fuel stop in N.C., I'm doing the walk around. I see a puddle of oil under the engine about 10" round!
Finish fueling, drive over to an empty corner of the lot & start digging. By laying under the coach, I can faintly see oil trail coming from the top of the engine. Put the bedroom slide out & start digging into the floor to access the engine. Discovered that the oil filler cap was loose on the valve cover. Tightened it & it spun back loose before I could get my hand out ot there. I realized that when the factory installed the pre-formed oil-filler tube, they must've had a little twist on it, which led to the tube unscrewing the cap. Realize that the cap threads into the valve cover, the cap has like a barbed fitting on top that the filler tube slips onto, then a hose clamp secures it. I loosened the clamp, pulled the hose off, tightened the cap & reinstalled the hose (in it's natural, relaxed position). No problems since then.

Keep in mind, I did this all while my DW 's standing over me....."Why are you doing this? It's under warranty, call the dealer, call Thor, call Cummins, Call Freightliner, this is ridiculus, etc etc"

I simply said "Do you want to Vacation in the Fla Keys or at a Cummins shop in NC?"
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #240

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
WOW what a great story. Thanks.

You actually pulled up the floor access to the engine. I've been tempted to do that just to check it all out. Our carpet is held down with staples and I am concerned if the screws holding down the cover would strip if I pulled them out. How difficult is it to remove the engine access cover and then replace it to get a tight seal? Any tricks?

Thanks again for the education.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 AM   #241

That was a great story...fortunately you did not loose enough oil to do damage...and you caught it in time. With these things... Whenever you stop...always do a "look/listen/feel"...cause you never know :-)
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #242

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
WOW what a great story. Thanks.

You actually pulled up the floor access to the engine. I've been tempted to do that just to check it all out. Our carpet is held down with staples and I am concerned if the screws holding down the cover would strip if I pulled them out. How difficult is it to remove the engine access cover and then replace it to get a tight seal? Any tricks?

Thanks again for the education.
I'll have to go out & have another look (It was in Spring 2012) but if I recall, there are screws "hidden" within the nap of the carpet. I think I had to remove a carpeted vertical panel between the closet & the floor. Then there were 4 screws holding the carpeted floor panel down. underneath that was a plywood "spacer" then a sheet metal plate. I'll re-visit my steps to confirm, but it wasn't too bad, even given the stress of an emergency roadside repair.

It's funny, I carry a pretty extensive tool kit. I tell my self I need it because my Jeep Cherokee Toad has 200k miles on it. I've never had to put a wrench on the Jeep while traveling, it's always on the motorhomes! (various brands Jayco, Tiffin & Thor)
Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #243

Any kind of sealant? I've removed the screws on ours, but the panel was still very secured. I was wanting to view take pictures of the engine for future reference.
Tankd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #244

Thor Owners Club
Hmmm, I don't remember any sealent, but there should be! I surely need to have another look. I recall taking some pictures that day, I'll just have to find them
Old 03-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #245

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Astoria Solar Energy System

Had AM SOLAR system installed last week by Lew Farber, Master Tech Mobile RV Systems (AM SOLAR preferred installer). Very smooth install that included 4ea 160w panels (GO-160 kits); Solar Controller MPPT 60/2 with Remote Monitor; Magnum MS-2012 Pure SineWave Inverter/Charger and Remote Control Panel; Magnum Battery Monitor System; Smart Battery Combiner, Panel Tilt Mounts, Aux 120vac Ckt Pnl; Upsized all wiring. Solar Energy serves everything except HVAC. Also, new 4ea Exide GC135 house batteries and added 2ea additional GC135 battery to provide 6 total house batteries 660ah.
The last picture shows what we found in our 120vac panel: We had neutral problem with 20 amp conv/micro ckt; check your bus bars for tightness.
Attached Thumbnails

LEZM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:02 AM   #246

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Nice solar set up.

Nice set up. Where did you put the extra 2 6v batteries?
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #247

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
turned the two engine starting batteries fore'n'aft and put the new in front. Vince.
LEZM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #248

Winnebago Owners Club
I am considering purchasing a 2011 THOR MOTOR COACH ASTORIA. I cannot find values for this coach on NADA. I looked under Damon and all of the Thor's that I could see. Does anyone know how I can find this?

Also, any tips or comments on the coach would be appreciated. We are attracted to it for the bunk beds for the grand-kids.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #249

We have had no issues with our 2011 40 KT. A few a reported roof leak that Thor has taken care of for them. Drives great, very comfortable and we would buy one again. I would call your bank or credit union they should be able to assist with value.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 AM   #250

We have the 2011 Astoria and love it. The usual things and problems that all coaches have...even the million dollar ones. We had the roof leak and Thor/Camping World put a new roof on...did a nice job. You will not find another DP with the options and amenities in this price range. I would say the coach is valued somewhere around $160 K...Ours drives/rides like a Dream...very happy with it...there are folks on this thread that are much more knowledgable than me...and they have answers to just about all things Astoria! Good Luck

Jim
Old 04-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #251

Just had all my service done... Oil changes... Greased the Chassis...changed all the fuel filters...air in tires...checked the oil bath in the front hubs...for $250 bucks...find a bus company near you...they can be very reasonable...it would cost me $130 in materials ...at least ...
Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #252

Jim, that is a great deal! I just had mine done plus the tranny and all filters for 750.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote