Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #827

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Steve
Cheers fellow RVer. I'll look forward to your pics. We're heading south in December but depending on others not sure if it will be I-5 S or I-84 E
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 11:45 PM   #828

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Looks a nice bus jim. I'm sure the extra 40hp makes a nice difference. The DW's never quite understands what that muttering under your breath means when you're pleading for a few extra mph
Old 12-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #829

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Dear Brothers of the road with our Damon Astoria's. Came down I-5 from BC towing the GMC Terrain. Pulled off exit 680 at Redding heading for a close RV park. Heard a slight 'clump' but nothing much until a car pulled along side and yelled 'your car came off'.
As I turned right from the off ramp my base plate separated from the chassis and the car crossed 4 lanes of traffic and hit a fence across the road. The base plate has 4 bolts holding it too the chassis and that's where it separated. The front of the car was still attached to the tow bar and was dragging behind me. The breakaway was still attached to the front of the car which I still had so there was had no way the pin would pull out. Basically I had 10% of the car the other 90% went free. I'm not sure which base plate but a Demco comander tow bar, which was not the problem as it was still attached to the base plate which I was dragging. It was just that the base plate was no longer attached to the car.
The base plate looks like it has(d) 4 small bolts attached to a plate on the end of the chassis. If you tow a car with 4 wheels down get your base plate checked. As one of Redding's finest commented 'the base plate just ripped off.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #830

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Further to previous post I have now examined the GMC Terrain in daylight. Contrary to previous observations neither the base plate (Demco) or the bolts holding have failed.
What broke was the car's chassis. There is a thin metal box chassis which terminates at the front and has a plate welded on each end of the rail. The base plate is bolted to these end plates. On both sides the plates and part of the end of the box frame were torn off during normal driving. Thank heaven I wasn't going up Siskiyou pass on the OR/CA border else the car wouldn't have stopped until Grants Pass! I'll be talking with GM. The car was promoted as a dinghy but obviously the chassis wasn't strong enough
Old 12-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #831

If anyone has a friend looking for a great coach my '11 40KT with 34k in like new condition will be for sale in January. It has been perfectly maintained and garaged it's entire life.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #832

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Further to my earlier posts regarding my GMC dinghy breaking away and getting wrecked you may be interested in this service bulletin from Demco. If any one tows the same vehicle in the range 2010/2011/2012 should read this - it's a real problem.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:51 PM   #833

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Further to my earlier posts anyone who is dinghy towing a GMC Terrain 2010/2011/2012
should read this service bulletin from Demco Towing.This is a real problem folks. The repair estimate for my car is north of $10,000

2010 - 2012 GMC Terrain | Demco Products

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 02-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #834

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britcanuck View Post
Further to my earlier posts anyone who is dinghy towing a GMC Terrain 2010/2011/2012
should read this service bulletin from Demco Towing.This is a real problem folks. The repair estimate for my car is north of $10,000

2010 - 2012 GMC Terrain | Demco Products

HAPPY NEW YEAR

How are you doing? Did you car get fixed? Did you buy a new car? We are happy with our Jeep Cherokee although it did require Jeep to install an electronic package and a battery charger.

Did you make it to you destination?

We have put our Gilroy CA house on the market, and plan to use the motorhome for about two years of traveling around the country while we are physically still healthy. Need to take some long hikes before age reduces the capability....if you know what I mean.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:11 PM   #835

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Dinghy Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
How are you doing? Did you car get fixed? Did you buy a new car? We are happy with our Jeep Cherokee although it did require Jeep to install an electronic package and a battery charger.

Did you make it to you destination?

We have put our Gilroy CA house on the market, and plan to use the motorhome for about two years of traveling around the country while we are physically still healthy. Need to take some long hikes before age reduces the capability....if you know what I mean.
Nice to hear from you again Steve. Car is NOT fixed yet. It's still at the GM dealer in Redding and we're in El Centro with a rental car. Body shop mgr. is very concerned about repairing the ends of the frame that tore off and then bolting a base plate to it. Most of the base plate manufacturers have side brackets that bolt to the sides of the frame for about 4" back however the frame is still tin can grade and that bothers him. If I can't get it resolved this week I'm getting onto the insurance co to write it off.
Good luck with your start to full timing
Old 02-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #836

Damon Owners Club
Hello is there a group for Astoria owners ?
Worllbefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #837

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worllbefree View Post
Hello is there a group for Astoria owners ?

Yes there is. It has been a good source of information for me.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #838

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You've found it. A goldmine of knowledge.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:46 PM   #839

Damon Owners Club
Ok thank you
Worllbefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #840

Damon Owners Club
Damon Astoria forum location

I can most times find forums but the Damon Astoria forum I can't. Can someone tell me where it's located?
Thanks
bleederguy is offline   Reply With Quote