RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #1

jacks how long do they last

Hi all
I have a 2011 Damon Daybreak puchased Dec last year with 7000 miles on the clock.

The hydraulic jacks have gone wrong today, they think it is the motor. How
long would you normally expect something like that to last?

thebusphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

Any mechanical device can and do fail. When is a really huge question that no one can answer.
Are you sure they are hydraulic? IS this motor on the jack or is this the pump motor??

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually quite reliable. My 95 coach never had any work needed to the jacks, nor has my current 2002 coach. Just check fluid once in awhile and clean the exposed piston area every couple years.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #4

Thanks all. - I bought it just after Christmas second hand, and it had a three month warranty. I had mentioned that they didnt always retract fully but was told they do this sometimes and just put them back down then retract again and they should work

This is the first ever motorhome or anything like it that I have ever had, so it is a completely new experience for me, and I really don't know what to expect. Hopefully it will be repaired under their warranty as I had mentioned a problem about a month or so ago.

The slides are also playing up and the lounge one is totally stuck in most of the time now, plus I was afraid to use it as it got stuck out twice. Of course now the jacks have gone I won't be able to use the bedroom one either.

Being in the uk the parts will need to be ordered in from US, and I am on tour now in Shetland and Scottish Highlands at present, so it will be sometime in June I expect before it can be repaired.

If I was on a really flat site would it be ok to put out the slide so I can get into the bedroom drawers?

It had only had one owner from new and done less than 7000 miles.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
My 2011 Daybreak 36SB has Lippert (LCI) hydraulic levelers. They were using a cheaply made pump that leaked hydraulic fluid into pump motor. After a few calls to Lippert customer service they agreed to replace the whole assembly at no charge. I had to supply the labor. They replaced it with a different model pump. The original pump is no longer used so they know something is wrong with the design. 2 years later and no more problems.
Davelecx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:56 AM   #6

Many thanks - that's really useful information. I must admit I would expect something like that to last far longer than the amount they will have been used in less than 10000 miles.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:07 AM   #7

Hi again. Still in discussion with my supplier about all of this!

What might one expect to pay for a replacement hydraulic pump, of the original Chinese specification

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful
Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #8

Level ground - shouldn't hurt to extend slides, especially the small bedroom one.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Level ground - shouldn't hurt to extend slides, especially the small bedroom one.
Thanks - that's useful to know

Any info on cost of the Lippert replacement unit anyone ?
Old 09-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #10

My pump was 600 dealer replaced under 30 day warranty
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #11

OBD2

I have a damon intruder 460 ford F53 chassis. I can't find the plug connecter for the OBD2. Anyone know where it is?
steven2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #12

The first thing I'd do is check all your grounds and be sure they are solid. Maybe even take a set of jumper cables and run from the ground block to a good clean place on the frame and see if it makes a difference.
An HWH tech told me that numerous problems with their system are caused by a bad ground.
Running a large separate ground wire solved all my problems.

Tags
jacks