Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
08 Essence, Freightliner chassis, 425 Cummins

The jake has a two positions that it can be activated in. There is a neutral which is vertical and then can be moved forward or to the rear. Bith activate the brake. I cannot see the difference, but why would there be two positions if both do the same thing? Or is there something I am failing to see?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
08 Essence, Freightliner chassis, 425 Cummins

The jake has a two positions that it can be activated in. There is a neutral which is vertical and then can be moved forward or to the rear. Bith activate the brake. I cannot see the difference, but why would there be two positions if both do the same thing? Or is there something I am failing to see?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Doc,
Dumb question; could this be for a high or low activation of the feature? I've deen this on other coaches.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:37 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
I wondered about that. When activated, the Allison shows '2' as the target in both positions. I usually just flip it to the front and it slows us down OK. I guess I just need to call Freightliner and get the lowdown. (It is just easier to ask here ) Thanks for the reply Gary
Old 12-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #5

You have an engine compression brake on the 425 Cummins. The front position should be for the full effect of the brake and the rear position for only half the braking. On a good hill check it out closely. When we got our rig, both positions were set up for only half braking. I had Gaffney check it out, and they reprogrammed it the way it was supposed to be.

They also had the MMDC messed up. It and the speedometer was showing about 4 MPH less than the GPS was showing or than what I was getting by calculating time between mile posts. I guess the calibration guy was out to lunch the day mine was supposed to get checked. They fixed that issue too.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The two positions are for the two brake "speeds", called High and Low. Mine is wired to two separate switches, one is On/Off and the other High/Low and "High" is actually the lesser amount of braking (go figure!). One engages engine braking on 3 cylinders and the other on 6 cylinders. Both will target the same lower gear (normally 2 but can be programmed for any gear you like).

You won't notice the difference in braking except on long steep grades, probably 5% or more. Then the 6 cylinder braking (the Low position on mine) will slow you noticeably more than the 3 cylinder mode.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">High/Low and "High" is actually the lesser amount of braking (go figure!). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't you swap the wires on the high and low terminals to make the switch work properly?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Couldn't you swap the wires on the high and low terminals to make the switch work properly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I could and had originally planned to do that, but once I learned which was which, it didn't make any difference. I just think of them in terms of "High gear" or "Low gear"
Old 12-18-2008, 06:02 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
That makes a lot of sense and I should have figured that out.
As soon as this weather gets better I am going to take the coach out and experiment a little to find out which way is the 'high' and 'low'.
Thanks
doc
Old 01-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #10

A class I attended at an FMCA Rally said the tranny shows second gear but in reallity it does not shift down.. Can't immagine it going into a lower gear at 60 MPH.

Don,WIT 70041
DonGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the tranny shows second gear but in reallity it does not shift down.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The gear displayed on the Allison panel is the "target gear". The transmission will downshift toward the target gear as engine RPMs permit. It will eventually downshift all the way to the target gear, step by step, if upper gears slow the rig down enough to allow it.