RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Just might buy an 08 Essence... What do ya think?

Hi Damon Neighbors, My first MH was a 2000 Damon Daybreak and we loved it! I gave that one to my oldest Son and he and his family Love it as well! Our next was a 05 Nat'l Dolphin and we loved that one too! My "Big Brother" convinced me to buy a DP, so now we have a 07 Monaco Dip., 41' skq, which we... well we almost love it! We love the Diesel engine over the gas engine for the power and also the comfortable and quieter ride. Here's my problem... I just don't like the front kitchen coach. So... I would prefer a mid coach Kitchen as well as a large screen mid coach HDTV and MY OWN Designated CHAIR, and also a KING size bed. Which I think (and hope) the 2008 Damon Essence might fit the bill. It has a 425 Cummins and all the good stuff. What I need to know is there anything I should know from your personal experiences with the Damon Essence model before I commit myself to buy this coach? I'm talking about mechanical stuff, electrical stuff, any issues that the Essence may have been known to have had problems with? Any and ALL help will be Greatly Appreciated... So Thank You in advance. BTW my Monaco will be for sale soon if your interested let me know, it's a beauty!

tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #2

I think that going from a Monaco to a Damon you are taking a step backwards. Like going from a Mercedes to a Chevrolet.

That is just my opinion

Ranger Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks! But... How would I know the difference in quality aside from the obvious such as cheap cabinets, furniture ect... What makes my Monaco better then the Damon Essence (as you implied)? And what coach would be better then my Monaco? This is something I have to learn to protect myself from making dumb mistakes that are costly and cannot be undone without a lot of frustration. I certainly appreciate your honest and helpful answers. Like people have said many times before... "This is a wonderful educational and entertaining forum" and we are forever grateful.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
2008 Essense

We have had our 2008 Damon Essense for about a year. We love it, have had no problems. We spent summer in Colorado and fall in Ky. Coach has good power and we love the set up. King bed is nice. We added a combo washer/dryer. I would buy one again.
pocapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I have an 08 Tuscany, which I think is a model down from the Essence.
If you have solid maintenance records, and the coach has been
inspected by knowledgeable motorhome folks, you should have no problems.
I think it is all about the "liveability", the layout, where you sit to watch tv,
how comfortable are you when you spend hours inside, etc.
I would not want a Prevost with a bad layout and ugly colors inside and out.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Again, I have a chance to buy a 2008 Essence with a 450 Cummins and 13K miles from a local dealer for $140,000.00 and was wondering if that price is too high? I would have to pay about 9% sales tax on top of that. I would like to find the same coach from a private seller because in AZ., there is no sales tax from private sales of vehicles. What do you folks think about the dealers price? Oh, btw... he reduced it from the asking price of $154,000.00 which I believe was way too high!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
We only paid $129,000 for ours with 18,000 miles on it. That was a year ago and the coach looked brand new. No issues at all.
pocapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thank You Folks! That's the info I'm looking for. Comfort, reliability, and The Price $$ I should expect to pay. Pocapt., you got a really good deal, I'm glad for you and only hope I can find a good deal for my Wife and I.
IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A PRIVATE SELLER OF A TUSCANY OR ESSENCE PLEASE CONTACT ME AT tomd85208@cox.net . Again Thank You for the information.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #9

I'll send you an email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd85208 View Post
Thank You Folks! That's the info I'm looking for. Comfort, reliability, and The Price $$ I should expect to pay. Pocapt., you got a really good deal, I'm glad for you and only hope I can find a good deal for my Wife and I.
IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A PRIVATE SELLER OF A TUSCANY OR ESSENCE PLEASE CONTACT ME AT tomd85208@cox.net . Again Thank You for the information.
I'll send email about Essence for sale.
Jandvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #10

We bought our 2008 Essence in 2010 with 4000 miles on it. We have 18,000 on it now, no major problems, have had some persistent problems with the Lippert entrance step shearing the pivot bolt. About time for tires, which I am not looking forward to but any brand of motorhome requires that. Had to replace all the chassis and coach batteries, but that was due to zero maintenance by the previous owner. Went with lead acid and the auto-fill water setup. (Camping World) Takes about 3 minutes to fill all four coach batteries, so easy I do it every month instead of procrastinating for 2 or 3 months.
Love the features, comfort, layout, etc. Very content, glad we did the deal! We have the 40B floor plan and the 425 HP is great, plenty of torque. We tow a Subarau Outback, drive 65 mph and average 7.8 to 8.0 mpg. on the flats. Tom
altwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have an 08 Essence and have had no major problems. We did have a failure on the poor design of the step well cover and the cable system they use to raise it. Other things were just nit picky items such as a leak in the sink drain pipe (5 minutes to tighten), short wire to the passenger seat control (longer cable) popped a fuse on the inverter (not sure what happened but dealer repaired at no charge - $60 fuse! )
Cheap plastic faucets in wet bay died (looking for a better set now) Our camera system (left right and rear) has just given up the ghost. Much too complicated with all the systems in one box. It is camera monitor, AM/FM radio, navigation system, video and CD player all in one. Poor planning on Thor's part. There is much better equipment out there!

You are going to love the 425 Cummins and the 6 speed Allison. Cummins upgraded the engine performance a couple of years ago and Cummins South nea Atlanta. Took 20 minutes using the computer hook up near the rear radiator. The 8K Onan is great and will run both AC and the microwave with no strain.
Floor is ceramic tile as is the back splash behind the stove. Counter tops are Corian. Cabinets are first rate and nice finish on them. The bed is Sleep number king size and we sleep very well in it.
Smart steering wheel, heated mirrors, power visors and night shade, remote locking. Power awning (not sure I would not rather have a manual awning however) power awning over entry door (so good when it is misting rain and you want to leave the door open)

Things we might change if we could > Might take out one of the recliners and add a small desk. Move the HDTV from center of the coach to behind the sofa so we could watch TV w/o letting the slide out. SIRIUS radio would be so much better.

Are the better coaches out there? Of course there are and many more worse also. For the money, I feel we have a good coach. I do think about getting something smaller since we are both in not so good health and don't travel nearly as much as we used to.
doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
doc
we just replaced all the interior faucets with nice brushed stainless steel
my outside shower is hanging in there..barely, i made a few adapters to allow a water hose t hook to it so we can wash the pups or the coach with soft water on the road

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote