Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2017, 12:57 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Learned something about the auto-leveling calibration...

In my extensive reading of the Forums for almost five years (as well as fiddling with the motorhome), I had not really seen where Damon had the air-dump function. Well, as it turns out, I was the cause of my own confusion and had been, inadvertently, turning the function off while in the process of calibrating the auto-leveling function. So... let me pass on this little tidbit:

When calibrating the zero point on the hydraulic Power Gear leveling system, the last step is to activate the "accessories" by pressing the Retract All button an additional three times after the initial three times to close out the zeroing process. Until now, I didn't know what the "accessories were and I was just letting those last twenty seconds expire without doing anything. Well, those accessories are the air dump function that allows the coach to sit lower. Previously, I had been partially holding down the Emergency Brake plunger and pumping the brakes to manually dump the air. As it turns out, using the "Accessories" dump lets the coach sit even lower. We're talking about and additional 4 to 5 inches lower!

By the way, it was another thread on these Forums that prompted my further fiddling to get to this point. So... the moral of the story is... no matter how well you think you understand any particular system on these rigs, don't be surprised when you learn something new!
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #2

Great advice, not even the factory service advisors know everything about a MH. It's members like you sharing information who keep others informed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
In my extensive reading of the Forums for almost five years (as well as fiddling with the motorhome), I had not really seen where Damon had the air-dump function. Well, as it turns out, I was the cause of my own confusion and had been, inadvertently, turning the function off while in the process of calibrating the auto-leveling function. So... let me pass on this little tidbit:

When calibrating the zero point on the hydraulic Power Gear leveling system, the last step is to activate the "accessories" by pressing the Retract All button an additional three times after the initial three times to close out the zeroing process. Until now, I didn't know what the "accessories were and I was just letting those last twenty seconds expire without doing anything. Well, those accessories are the air dump function that allows the coach to sit lower. Previously, I had been partially holding down the Emergency Brake plunger and pumping the brakes to manually dump the air. As it turns out, using the "Accessories" dump lets the coach sit even lower. We're talking about and additional 4 to 5 inches lower!

By the way, it was another thread on these Forums that prompted my further fiddling to get to this point. So... the moral of the story is... no matter how well you think you understand any particular system on these rigs, don't be surprised when you learn something new!

I am in the need of a calibration instruction set for the auto leveling system. I've disassembled and reassembled the controller and cleaned all the bugs out (literally a treasure trove of lady bugs throughout this entire coach. (Sister use to think they were good luck, so maybe a good sign). I just know that when I bought this beast in July, use to be able to move and recieve response from any direction of the joystick. Unfortunately. Now, after having one leg disconnected inadvertently for a couple weeks and the power supply disconnected at the fuse box under the dash inadvertently. I can state that the auto leveling system works, but what seems like with challenge lately. So. Thought I would try my hand at calibration and honestly, being a builder, the old fashion , use the level, truck is much more efficient - hopefully calibration will fix my problem. Can you send over the set of instructions or link up where they can be found.
I've got the 98 Damon intruder 349 with f53 Chas is.

Thank you
PulShrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:39 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulShrk View Post
Can you send over the set of instructions or link up where they can be found.
I've got the 98 Damon intruder 349 with f53 Chas is.

Thank you
Given that we have different year, chassis and leveler system brand/model (based on your "joystick" comment), I doubt my calibration instructions would be of much use. I'd suggest you Google the leveling system brand/model name and or number and "Manual". That's how I found mine.

Best of luck!
blang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling