Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

Looking for Pre-buy in DFW area

Hi all-

I just finished reading through the 'I love my Outlaw' thread (yes, the whole thing). I'm looking at buying a lightly used 2014 37LS in the Dallas area and need to find a place to perform a pre-buy. The coach has 3200 miles on it and was bought from MSHRV. The owner mentioned that MSHRV is not the best place to get service done because they tend to take a long time.

Does anyone know of another place in the DFW area that can perform the pre-buy? The current owner purchased the extended warranty so any issues that pop up should be covered by that.

Also, anything specific to look for? I have the pre-buy list from Newmar and will be using this when I inspect it.

So far I have:
Check for separation where wall meets chassis (broken screws)
Check for sub woofer or just open speaker wires under seat

Thanks, we're looking forward to our new RV!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck on finding the info you're seeking. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Look at the Thor Challenger Owners Unite thread. I know Don added one to that thread some time back.

Do you know why the current owner is selling it? It seems like you may have found a nearly new one that should be good opportunity for you.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #4

Thanks and thanks! The owner is selling because of their business not panning out and their parent's failing health limiting their ability to travel.

After we get all of the paperwork in order, my wife and I are planning on going out to inspect and purchase it. Probably within the next couple of weeks. We'll spend a few days there before journeying home.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #5

Carolina Campers

Sounds like a good plan. If I were you, I'd ask them to let you take it to a local RV park and camp in it for a few days. That will allow you to check it out and then talk to them for any questions you may come up with.

With our previous coach purchase, the seller even paid for us to stay in a local park, then offered to replace or fix anything we could find wrong during the stay. I came back with a list of items and even a few modifications, which they fixed and completed before I left.

Another thought, if you have not owned one before, they may take it out for a drive with you so that you can learn some tips and even drive it a bit with them as a copilot. Even get some gas to see hoe that goes.

I am glad I did all of those things.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I found a place to perform a pre-buy (Professional Sales RV in Colleyville). I will also do a full pre-buy when I get there but I don't want to go all the way there to find out that there are major issues. The 1-yr warranty expired in May, but they have an extended warranty through StarRV for 4 more years.

I'll definitely take it for a drive and let my wife drive it too. I doubt the buyer will let us stay in a park for a while, though we may have a better relationship after we meet face-to-face.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best luck with the Outlaw...
So, how come you didn't just ask current Outlaw owners for trends to look for?

We love our RV's but will be blunt with the things we have found in our rigs.
And, I believe that factory reps have read all through our Threads and have made changes that directly reflect what they saw here.

So, there's:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html
And:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...es-149108.html

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Sounds like a good plan. If I were you, I'd ask them to let you take it to a local RV park and camp in it for a few days. That will allow you to check it out and then talk to them for any questions you may come up with.

With our previous coach purchase, the seller even paid for us to stay in a local park, then offered to replace or fix anything we could find wrong during the stay. I came back with a list of items and even a few modifications, which they fixed and completed before I left.

Another thought, if you have not owned one before, they may take it out for a drive with you so that you can learn some tips and even drive it a bit with them as a copilot. Even get some gas to see hoe that goes.

I am glad I did all of those things.
Were these people you knew or had mutual acquaintances with? I am a very trusting person but I cannot imagine letting a complete stranger take my rig somewhere to test it out for a few days.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #9

I read the two main threads, and all of the threads they pointed to. I've been reading them for the past two weeks. It was quite the sense of accomplishment just to finish them!

So... What specifics should I be looking for on this coach? What kind of issues have people been having that I need to watch out for? Any Outlaw-specific stuff?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
Were these people you knew or had mutual acquaintances with? I am a very trusting person but I cannot imagine letting a complete stranger take my rig somewhere to test it out for a few days.

Agree. Would only do this after the deal is done and all the money paid.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #11

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post

No. It was part of the purchase agreement.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
No. It was part of the purchase agreement.
That's pretty impressive. I don't think my sellers would do that, and I probably wouldn't either.

Random guy from internet wants to use the coach for a few days to see if he wants to buy it? What's to keep him from driving off into the wild blue yonder?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was going to say go talk to Rodney at Blue Moon. They can take care of you for sure and I recommend them....

Blue Moon RV | RV Online Parts and Accessories Store
Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #14

Carolina Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
That's pretty impressive. I don't think my sellers would do that, and I probably wouldn't either.

Random guy from internet wants to use the coach for a few days to see if he wants to buy it? What's to keep him from driving off into the wild blue yonder?

I was impressed. And it made the purchase process a good one. Regardless, I just gave my experience.

If you go to sell yours, you can do what ever you think is right for you. I have found on this forum, people will pound their chest try to make an issue over anything...