Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #1

Lower dash front TV replacment pictures?

I have poured through many a link using the search feature but have yet to stumble upon a picture of a conversion of the Front LOWER dash TV to a Flat screen HD. Nor any specifics on someone doing it, like the size TV they used and what sorts of fill and brackets they fabricated.

There are quite a few showing the overhead ones being done. Nicely too.

But I need to start planning a front lower one and needs some ideas and some visual stimulation.

Can anyone post some or point me to one I missed? I guess it really can be any Brand Coach as long as its a lower dash front TV that was done of similar size to what my Damon Challenger from 99 has in it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:37 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
This is the second request I have seen tonight for this upgrade.
I did find this thread...but I am not sure it helps much.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #3

Alrighty then... so let it be done!

I am working on this at the moment. I have a plan. Looks like a fairly simple install if you use a TV with an overall width of 22" so it will have little to none sticking out too far to obstruct the dash nor the entry and exit of the passenger side. And then its just a matter of framing in a plywood panel to the old box to mount it all up too. Leaves a under shelf of about 2 or 3 inches deep to be used for something else.

I found a 23" HDTV that has the correct sizes I need. Measures 21.8" across. Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD HDTV Widescreen LCD Monitor. It is on the way. I have a surface mount bracket coming too. And I have the wood gathered up but will wait until the TV comes to figure out how deep into the existing cabinet the panel needs to be mounted to put the TV at just the right depth.

I will take photographs as it goes along. Pretty straight forward job though. Just requires the right size TV is all. I doubt you would want much past a width of 22 inches though in the old 19" CRT space. That space measures 19 X 18 by the way.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #4

Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #5

Looking good Cphillip! I have been considering something similar, I was actually thinking of using the existing tv space for a stereo component area ie; maybe large cd changer, blueray & stereo unit similar to my home setup. I would also add a pair glass doors too. I would then do a 22-24 LCD above like most are nowadays.

Keep it up
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #6

I had thought of using more of that back there. But in this Damon, all the related stuff is up top in cabinets. So its just easier to put all the related stuff up there where power and Antenna and such is already located. It would be oodles of work to relocate all that down into that space.

I may hang a CB off the bottom of this though. Under there is just enough room for something... but it also looks like it would serve nicely as a place to put the Atlas and Maps in a handy to get location as well. It won't go to waste thats for sure.