Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Manual propane shut off valve ?

We have recently purchased a 2nd owner 2006 36ft Damon Astoria/Pacific Diesel Pusher although owner has since passed away. Plus no response has been able to be made with Thor for our Damon.

QUESTION:
We are trying to locate if there is an TURN OFF Handle for Propane Tank so Propane Installers do not keep questioning filling the propane, since there is no apparent and visible TOTALLY OFF VALVE before THEY BEGIN filling Damon 2006 Propane tank.

Propane Installers continue to tell us as we travel the western states that they need to see a SHUT OFF HANDLE and not just the ( 2 ) Electrical Toggle switches withRED light turned OFF. can someone give us the definitive answer as to what is needed to have Propane OFF in order to start a re-fill of the tank.
We see no HARD METAL OFF handle anywhere in a cabinet or under RV.

All we find is the YELLOW Capped Fill on Driver Side, under edge of the outside of RV, and directly next to a Silver propane bleed valve.

#1 See the attached photos for what we see for Propane Fill Shut Off which is nothing

#2 A needle/Monitor attachment that we believe can be installed, for a much better idea of what LP is left in tank, rather than trusting the colored coach light above the entry door.
This is a magnetic remote sensor approx $41 on ebay, and does not need to be accessed or inserted in tank, but attached to outside of the tank.
Thus sensing the current float valve via magnets.

Please assist as we regularly go to trying to find 2 or 3 Propane Installers for every fill, before they are believers of the ( 2 ) Toggle Switches ONLY.

My manual IMPLIES that the Propane Tank is sending a signal via two wires to the what they suggest is the Remote Toggle Switches in Coach ( 1 ) above Entry Door and other( 1 ) in the Waste Cabinet in Basement.

Appreciate all comments.
Ive been trying to resolve this dilemma for weeks.
If anyone is near reno, nevada or Orangevale Ca with a 2006 Damon please advise so we might be able to discuss and even possibly view.

baldtbird & greydove
reno, nevada
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAMON PROPANE PIX.jpg
Views:	2012
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	84781  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf G12846PROPANE GAUGE Install Instructions.pdf (247.8 KB, 113 views)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 05:02 PM   #2

There is an ongoing discussion about these electric valves here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/turn...ff-233718.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

I'm not quite sure I understand, but,

First, you have an ASME LP Tank. They are normally frame mounted horizontally and permanently. They usually have a larger capacity than a DOT cylinder.

You should be able to identify the service value. It is the hand manipulated component that is the old style POL valve only and still used on ASME tanks. It is how you turn the propane on and off at the tank.

You should have a 20% liquid level gauge on your ASME tank. It lets the attendant know when the container is 80% full. Note that you never top off a tank to the maximum capacity. The top 20% of every LP container is for the vapor area and to accommodate expansion of the LP. By far the most common type of abuse associated with LP containers is overfilling.

You should change tanks if you don't have this level gauge.

A safety value is a component built into all service values. It will open and release container pressure into the atmosphere if the container is overfilled and for a couple of other reasons.

Fill value is a separate component on an ASME tank. The overfill device known as an OPD for overfill protection device must be on every ASME tank. This listed and approved safety mechanism makes certain the tank will not be overfilled. It automatically shuts off incoming LP during the filling process once the container is 80% full. Maybe that is what everyone is looking for???

A float/sight gauge is a visual indication of how much fuel remains in the container. Outfitted with a sending unit, it can be remotely connected to the monitor panel inside the RV.

Why do I get the feeling this tank should be replaced??? And no, don' t try to replace the value or add one...there are special procedures for safety, purging, etc that must be done by a real qualified propane guy who can torch empty the old tank, replace and purge a new tank, etc.

I wonder how that particular tank arrived under your RV in the first place???

ASME tanks don't have to be tested like cylinders, but considering how dangerous propane can be I would want an excellent new tank sitting under my rv with all the required fittings.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Roger,

Look at the picture of the tank location the original poster posted. It is mounted up underneath the coach perpendicular and between the chassis frame rails. The problem, as I understand it is that the original poster has had problems getting his tank filled because the LPG provider could not access, or even find the tank, let alone the shutoff valve that is supposed to be turned off. I assume same issue with the 10% valve. A hose to a side receptacle does allow for filling, but as I already stated, no readily available manual shutoff valve. As I understand it, this is stock factory design bY Damon in some models including the original poster's Astoria.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:18 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roger S .... Propane Tank Gargon hard to understand

Roger S
#A 1st what is a SERVICE Value ?
#B You ask how did this tank get installed in first place. NOt a Clue
#C WE HAVE NOT FOUND A MANUAL OFF VALVE.
Another RV owner of a Class A 40fT. Both of us have crawled and shimidy OUR way over the entire RV to find a Manual Shut OFF. NO WHERE DO WE FIND A SHUT OFF VALVE other than the 2 Electrical Activated RED Light Toggle Switches.

IMPORTANTLY
I see no mention IN YOUR email of where SHUT OFF IS TO BE LOCATED.
This is driving us crazy and not to use the Damon, afraid of what we have waiting down the road in Bad Propane problem.

Please if you can, suggest where we can remedy this ?????????

EDward C Hass
Reno Nevada ... Cell# 1.775.220.2644 and I will return the call.
Im unable to get any Thor Support or person to answer our calls.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldtbird.06 View Post
We have recently purchased a 2nd owner 2006 36ft Damon Astoria/Pacific Diesel Pusher although owner has since passed away. Plus no response has been able to be made with Thor for our Damon.

QUESTION:
We are trying to locate if there is an TURN OFF Handle for Propane Tank so Propane Installers do not keep questioning filling the propane, since there is no apparent and visible TOTALLY OFF VALVE before THEY BEGIN filling Damon 2006 Propane tank.

Propane Installers continue to tell us as we travel the western states that they need to see a SHUT OFF HANDLE and not just the ( 2 ) Electrical Toggle switches withRED light turned OFF. can someone give us the definitive answer as to what is needed to have Propane OFF in order to start a re-fill of the tank.
We see no HARD METAL OFF handle anywhere in a cabinet or under RV.

All we find is the YELLOW Capped Fill on Driver Side, under edge of the outside of RV, and directly next to a Silver propane bleed valve.

#1 See the attached photos for what we see for Propane Fill Shut Off which is nothing

#2 A needle/Monitor attachment that we believe can be installed, for a much better idea of what LP is left in tank, rather than trusting the colored coach light above the entry door.
This is a magnetic remote sensor approx $41 on ebay, and does not need to be accessed or inserted in tank, but attached to outside of the tank.
Thus sensing the current float valve via magnets.

Please assist as we regularly go to trying to find 2 or 3 Propane Installers for every fill, before they are believers of the ( 2 ) Toggle Switches ONLY.

My manual IMPLIES that the Propane Tank is sending a signal via two wires to the what they suggest is the Remote Toggle Switches in Coach ( 1 ) above Entry Door and other( 1 ) in the Waste Cabinet in Basement.

Appreciate all comments.
Ive been trying to resolve this dilemma for weeks.
If anyone is near reno, nevada or Orangevale Ca with a 2006 Damon please advise so we might be able to discuss and even possibly view.

baldtbird & greydove
reno, nevada

This may not help, but go to the Monaco/Holiday Rambler forum? I used to have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune. It DID NOT have a manual shut off valve, only an electrically controlled valve that shut off all propane to the motorhome. That propane tank was also mounted up between the frame rails. I, fortunately, never had problems with LP dealers filling the tank in the two+ years I full timed in the Neptune. Occasionally, a filler person would say "where's the shut off valve?" I would confidently respond with "The tank is mounted up, in between the rails for added safety, the main shut off valve is electric and I have shut that off, and all appliances inside are also shut off"

The reason I suggested the Monaco/Holiday Rambler forum is because, I believe, the "between the rails" installation was pretty common on a lot of the models, (and may still be?). It does kinda seem like a good idea from a collision safety stand point, better than having the tank hanging off the outside of the frame protected by a thin, metal basement door?

Good luck
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #7

Per the irv2.com thread linked, it has a 12VDC electric solenoid shutoff valve, no manual valve, which is legal per USDOT. and ASME. Some LP re-fillers are not familiar with them though, which it the source of his problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 02-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Enough is Enough says a IRV2 Member :)

NOTE: Today it was suggested by way of a private message to cease the discussion about not finding an OFF VALVE for Propane Tank by a Senior IRV2 member. Guess I have been annoying the membership.

Apparently there is a limit to having a discussion here and be able to listen to various opinions.

So thanx for all your efforts.....Im gone !

baldtbird.06
Old 02-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #9

Manual propane shut off valve ?

I don't believe seniority on this forum provides any immunity to being a jerk. I hope you find your answer. I perused the Damon forum all the way back to 2011 and found a short discussion on a 2006 Astoria with reference to removing an access panel with 16 screws in one of the storage bays to allow one to reach through to the shutoff valve mounted on the tank.

Good luck!
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ED G - Not Gone forever ..just this subject :)

Not going away for good, just licking my self respect wounds
I have several questions, but will wait a day to cool off.
But I did find the Damon Blog, so likely will use that for more specific Class A that we have. THANX TO ALL WHO GAVE ADVICE !

baldtbird06
Old 02-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

Baldbird.06,
Here is an electric solenoid valve for LP. Seaward is a well-respected name in the boating industry for providing quality products. Yours should look similar to this:
Seaward - Electric Propane (LPG) Solenoid Valve Remote Shutoff, 93151
A manual LP valve looks like this: RV Propane LP Shut Off Valve 3250BC312
Electric gas valves are normally closed, they must have power applied to open and hold them open. Turn off 12V power and it closes.
As an aside, this valve is a source of "phantom battery drain" during storage when left on.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #12

The 20% liquid level gauge sometimes is mistakenly called a 10% valve. It is a separate component on all ASME tanks. The top 20% of every LP container, tank or cylinder, is for the vapor area and to accommodate the expansion of the LP. By far the most common abuse associated with LP containers is overfilling.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #13

Apparently several people have looked at the tank and it sounds like it doesn't meet ASME standards. I would recommend, as a layman herein, to buy a new tank. These are permanently installed, so a welder will be needed, and the propane needs to be torched off by a qualified person, etc.

This is not a diy job.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #14

Some good books are Livingstons and Bunzer RV Repair and Maintenance. I recommend them to help you seek answers to your propane questions. Sorry, but I have passed my personal assistance limits.

Tags
manual, propane