RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #1

More going bad

Will it ever end???? Now we have a water leak. My husband filled the water tank up this morning and now discovered a leak in the fitting out of the tank. GRRRR It is going back to the factory in June to fix the roof, the levelers, shower walls, closet rod, windshield wiper and several minor problems. We purchased this "new" 2008 Challenger 348 in January and have had nothing but problems. Apparently since it sat on the lot for 2 years. We love the unit itself, but the problems are too numerous. I suppose when we get it back it will be "ALL new" Thanks for listening, just venting. Happily it is still under warranty

Liz N Leroy N Frosty the cat
2008 Damon Challenger N 2006 Jeep Liberty
liznleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having sat for so long could have caused the seals to dry out which explains a lot of your problems including the levelers depending on the failure.

I'm sure once you get it back and begin using it on a regular basis you'll start to enjoy it. Little things like the water leak will be something to keep an eye out for throughout it's life.

Cheer up and try to imagine all the great memories you'll be making in the coming years!

DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Having sat for so long could have caused the seals to dry out

Since the OP stated that the leak was at the tank fitting it suggests that the fitting was never tightened up and it was never leak tested.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I wish you nothing but good luck but just remember the factory you are taking it to is the same place that built it so the quality of the work will probably be the same. Be sure and check everything out good before you leave the area. It seems like every time I let someone touch my coach even if they fix the original problem they break something else in the process.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #5

All motorcoaches come w/birth defects. All. 100%. Country Coach in its best day didn't bat 1000 on any coach.
My rig is still under warranty. Only the mfgr, Western RV, isn't. Nice to have a factory to go to, so it could be much worse.

Don is right, after some fiddling and maybe a swear word or three, there will be some weeks of bliss. Then you're hooked.
Then ya buy a fancier rig, & repeat!!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the support, we are heading out this weekend for a couple of days, hope all stays in tact. Wanting to use it as much as possible before it goes to the "hospital". He tightened the fitting so it isn't leaking and we will get a water hook up at the lake. Have a good weekend everyone. We will

Liz N Leroy N Frosty the cat
2008 Damon Challenger N 2006 Jeep Liberty
liznleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Many systems that do everything, all hooked up together on wheels, rolling down the road to adventure. Amazing. But they break. Still, AIN'T IT GRAND?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Many systems that do everything, all hooked up together on wheels, rolling down the road to adventure. Amazing. But they break. Still, AIN'T IT GRAND?

Between the (poor) condition of some of our roads and the highway speeds . . . it's like subjecting your house to an earthquake and hurricane at the same time . . . for hours on end . . . amazing that it (usually) holds together! Gotta' love it!!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-55 View Post
Between the (poor) condition of some of our roads and the highway speeds . . . it's like subjecting your house to an earthquake and hurricane at the same time . . . for hours on end . . . amazing that it (usually) holds together! Gotta' love it!!
I never thought of it that way.
2004 Jeep TJ 4"lift 35" tires 4:56 gears
Mark & Carole Big Bear, Ca. RVM 54
Phoenix2551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznleroy View Post
Will it ever end???? Now we have a water leak. My husband filled the water tank up this morning and now discovered a leak in the fitting out of the tank. GRRRR It is going back to the factory in June to fix the roof, the levelers, shower walls, closet rod, windshield wiper and several minor problems. We purchased this "new" 2008 Challenger 348 in January and have had nothing but problems. Apparently since it sat on the lot for 2 years. We love the unit itself, but the problems are too numerous. I suppose when we get it back it will be "ALL new" Thanks for listening, just venting. Happily it is still under warranty
No, it will never end! Sorry!
Things will get fixed just in time for something else to break. Your warranty has an ending date. Your breakdowns do not. You can't do much about this so if you relax and understand that most anything you put on wheels and shake the crap out of for extended periods of time will fail it will be easier to accept when it happens. New coaches have the most number of problems due to production numbers vs. production quality, but the little stuff never goes away. I really doubt that the "2 year sit" has much to do with your problems but the fact that it's "new" means you are the one who has to take care of all the production issues the manufacturer knew would eventually pop up.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
No, it will never end! Sorry!
Things will get fixed just in time for something else to break. Your warranty has an ending date. Your breakdowns do not. You can't do much about this so if you relax and understand that most anything you put on wheels and shake the crap out of for extended periods of time will fail it will be easier to accept when it happens. New coaches have the most number of problems due to production numbers vs. production quality, but the little stuff never goes away. I really doubt that the "2 year sit" has much to do with your problems but the fact that it's "new" means you are the one who has to take care of all the production issues the manufacturer knew would eventually pop up.
Concur with Bill Adams quote above but I believe things will work out for you. We are in our 8th month on this rig and seems things are getting squared away. We did a lot of tinkering type fixes ourself, but dealer has been good on everything else. To date no need to contact Damon, but we have been assured by Damon that they are ready to help if needed. At 13.0k miles now and stopping into Gaffney FCCC on Tuesday to get a 15.0k checkup on the chassis. FL seems to be "gung ho" as well. We will see. I think we want to schedule a visit to Damon factory for some rework (cargo and passenger access doors & slide operation) as well before the first year of ownership is up.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
A friend of mine bought a modular home for his first house. His thought was that if it was built strong enough to withstand over the road transportation it should be built really well. He also proudly displayed the mud stripes on the ceiling of his basement

Same thing goes for our choice of living. We just need to pay attention to the signs of continual stress and attend to them as they arise. When you expect things to go wrong they'll never take you be surprise, and if you're prepared, they'll never leave you stranded.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just as your husband was able to fix the leak, it will take both of you paying attention to the different systems, quirks, and as stated in other posts things that just break, you will learn how to fix many of the problems that come up. It gets better as you become more aquainted with your rig. Take notes of what you did to fix it or what the factory did to fix it while under warranty. It may come up again as a problem.

Dave
Old 05-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I must have been very lucky with my coach Only issues i had was microwave turn table stopped spinning 20 seconds into using it and one small leak on the front roof seem and the dash pod had a crack from overtighening the screw which they changed ....All was taken care of by Damon And since no other problems I have put 6500 miles on it since i bought it new in August of 2008 ....... We love our motorhome and are extremly happy with it. But like my service advisor told me its a EARTHQUAKE on wheels and things will go wrong..............

mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote