Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #1

New tires....

I just brought the MH back from getting 6 new Bridgestone tires. I also had the powder added for balancing. Not taking a trip until the end of July, but anxious to try them out.

I made sure the date stamp was 2010. The old tires were 02. I guess the MH was manufactured in 04 with an 03 chassis that had tires installed in 02. So, I guess you can buy a new MH with 2 year old tires on it. Only 11,780 miles on the old ones, but were showing signs of ageing. John H...

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
I made sure the date stamp was 2010. The old tires were 02. I guess the MH was manufactured in 04 with an 03 chassis that had tires installed in 02. So, I guess you can buy a new MH with 2 year old tires on it. Only 11,780 miles on the old ones, but were showing signs of aging.
John, If the tires are stamped "2010" then they were made in the 20th week of 2010! Those tires would indeed be really new.

Seriously I doubt that's what you meant but I just thought I'd bring it up. It is too bad that most of us age out tires before we wear them out ....

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #3

I understand, but I meant that the date stamp assured me they were made in 2010 and not stamped 2010. They were made in the 7th, 8th, and 9th week of 2010. I stand corrected....John H...
Old 06-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Much better to replace them now though than have one come apart going down the road.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #5

I agree. Always paranoid about a blowout, but at least the odds of not getting one with new tires should be a lot better.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
JohnH,

Why Bridgestone vs. Micheline?

And why was the powder added for balancing?

My 2003 Micheline's have been good and are due for new.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an '04 with the original Michelin "XRV" tires with just over 20,000 miles and plenty of tread. The sidewalls are showing no signs of age and they seem to ride fine. With all of these factors I see no reason to replace them simply based on age. Am I wrong in thinking this way?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchman53 View Post
We have an '04 with the original Michelin "XRV" tires with just over 20,000 miles and plenty of tread. The sidewalls are showing no signs of age and they seem to ride fine. With all of these factors I see no reason to replace them simply based on age. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

You have opened the Box you will hear from all!I dont know the answer,but will watch this thread I'm sure will be close to a Wal Mart thread.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #9

If I weren't on this forum, I would have just gone with Michelin's. Had them on my last MH and liked them, but have read a lot about them and Goodyear's on the forum that was a little negative. Most I read about Bridgestone was positive. Also never heard of balancing with powder until the forum.

MH magazine has an article on tires and tire maintenance and they say Michelin suggests replacing their tires every 10 years unless they are showing sidewall cracking or other signs of wear. They also say a lot depends on how the tires are maintained and how the MH is stored, as to how soon they should be replaced. Proper inflation for your particular weight is important. Over or under inflation is harmful to tires. Read lots of posts on tires and descide for yourself. John H...
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Being newbies, I'm going to watch this thread. I'm right at 35000# and running 120# in each tire. I haven't been able to have the four corners weighed and sinfonia where to get that done. Anyone have a suggestion?

Doc: If you're monitoring this thread, what tire pressures do you run? We have the same coach.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #11

Well, the tales go on......... My Coach is a 2008 Damon Astoria, which we purchased new in August of 07'. The tires are Goodyear GVN 670's all around and are all date stamped "1507" making them very fresh when we purchased our Coach. This spring I had taken a short trip (just under 200 miles) the weather was terrible, torrential rain along with a lot of traffic. I did run on dry pavement the last 30-50 miles or so. When I pulled off the freeway all was fine with no sign of any tire shake at all. I proceeded another 15-20 miles to my destination on 35-40 MPH dry roads. When I came to a complete rest at my check in point (I had not stopped during the 200 mile run other than stop lights the last few miles) The coach had been stopped for less than 5 minutes when I heard a sound like a gun shot. My passenger front tire had blown a hole large enough to shove a golf ball through! The good news: I was stopped and no other damage occurred. To my knowledge the tire has never been rubbed against a curb, or had any sidewall impact whatsoever. I had about 13,000 miles on them at that point and I have driven virtually every mile myself. Could I have hit debris along the way? Possibly, but not enough to "feel or hear" anything. I check my air pressure and inspect tires before every trip. I have a Tire Pressure Monitoring system that I rely on to give me feedback and has been tested with a tire on my trailer that went down last year. However, the TPMS would have done me no good had I been on the freeway with a blow out, unless the pressure had fluctuated prior to the blow-out.

Has anyone seen this happen on a fairly new tire? Needless to say, I have lost confidence in the Goodyear label! I'm curious to see how your Bridgestones perform John, I may be replacing all of mine in the near future to give me piece of mind. As you can see by the pics, the tread is almost like new, however if the failure is from the sidewall, you could have your hands full at 65 MPH!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/IMG_2340.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/IMG_2339.jpg
Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #12

Richard, That is one scary looking hole. Thank goodness you were stopped. You'll never know what COULD have happened. The sidewalls actually look pretty good. Hard to imagine why it just decided to blow, but appears that at some point the sidewall must have had weakening or damage of some sort. Your tires aren't very old or have many miles on. Does the coach sit a lot? That is hard on tires. They need to be run a little. You obviously run yours more than mine was. My 04 with 11,780 compared to your 07 with 13,000. John H...
Old 06-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Why is it that MH owner's are putting powder or beads in their tires and not in car or truck tires? Is this a MH only thing? I never heard of this until this forum and I have purchased a lot of tires in my life. Joe
Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Why is it that MH owner's are putting powder or beads in their tires and not in car or truck tires? Is this a MH only thing? I never heard of this until this forum and I have purchased a lot of tires in my life. Joe
i also am curious
leaving for points west in the morning no particular plans other than stay gone for 6 or 7 weeks.with all the chatter on here about tires i decided to have the dealer check pressure it was 50-55 in each tire ford says 75 front 80 rears that is where they live now anxious to check mileage 1st time toading and when i took delivery new last year i never checked the pressure.
brianj