Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
New to me 2002 Damon Escaper

I purchased this motorhome 11 months ago. It has a Cat 330 Freightliner chassis. The batteries were dead when I took it out of storage at the end of April. I replaced both the chassis and house batteries. After replacing them, nothing works. the solenoid is presently being replaced. After I placed new 6 volt batteries (exactly as those were I took out) nothing still worked. That lead to the solenoid. However, when I started up the engine, I noticed the alternator was surging, charging and dropping, then charging again. I hurried back to look at batteries and the one cable coming from the solenoid to the house batteries was smoking hot. Now I think back to when we brought this unit home. We always plugged it in, we never ran 'stand alone', the batteries looked like they were hot (Old ones) at one time or another. That makes me ask these questions:

1) Is the deep cycle supposed to be 6 or 12 volt? [presently wired positive to positive and negative to negative...I believe that is 6 volt]

2) Is the little diesel generator started with the chassis batteries or house batteries?

3) Is there a 'main fuse' that could be out not allowing things to work?

4) I have contacted Thor for schematics for wiring...that was the same as pulling your eye teeth, I just gave up that request because apparently there are none available!

5) The inverter (on-off switch), is it supposed to point to the battery or the 'bar' ( | )

Thanks,

Olpapa
Olpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #2

#1 - The batteries areit is wired incorrectly. It should be as you can see in the picture.

#2 - Yes

#3 - Yes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	10157  
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I appreciate the diagram...I'll print that off and file it in my big book.

About the Onan 7500 quiet generator, I checked the fuse to the unit...system doesn't do anything and I have new batteries everywhere. Is there a fuse other than the one under the lid where the radiator fill is?

I know I am not getting power for some reason or another...

Thanks,

Olpapa
Old 05-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olpapa View Post
I appreciate the diagram...I'll print that off and file it in my big book.

About the Onan 7500 quiet generator, I checked the fuse to the unit...system doesn't do anything and I have new batteries everywhere. Is there a fuse other than the one under the lid where the radiator fill is?

I know I am not getting power for some reason or another...

Thanks,

Olpapa

Everything was so simple...I actually had to press ALL THREE of the remote starters. I don't know if any random order works or not but I pressed the starter on the Onan, then the one on the dash and finally the one in the bedroom. It was like you hit a reset and everything worked fine...all remotes have worked since! Go figure...