Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New to the Damon Owner's Forum

Just joined iRV2 after spending time on FMCA motorhome forum. Glad to see a Damon owners forum. Hoping to interact with owner like my wife and me who are mid-50's in age trying to balance motorhome enjoyment with demanding careers. FMCA seems to only cater to older motorhome owners and retirees.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #2

Welcome, I am here for the same reason, Brand new to MH and wife and I are in or later 50's. Have the same darn problem, demanding careers and not able to take off for three months or so. We bought an older unit recently (2001 Damon Escaper) plan is to work out the wrinkles in the unit, spend a few weekends etc. this summer using the MH and getting used to how everything works. Get away next year for a couple of weeks at a time and hopefully be in a position to give up the career after that. Only time will tell. For now enjoy when we can.
widmerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike & Cindy! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Photos of 2007 Damon Astoria

I failed to include photos of my 2007 Damon Astoria and 2016 Jeep Wrangler toad. Three of the pictures are from one of my favorite activities -- boon-docking at LSU football weekends!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1321.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	164438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	164439  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1323.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	164440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0902.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	164441  

Old 11-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy

How easy was it to setup the generator exhaust pipe?
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Nice looking Astoria.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Widmerhd,
Hello, I just bought a 2001 Escaper and thus far love it. I'm a little older than you guys at 73, been out of camping for over 30 years as my career took it's course.

Sine I finally found someone with an Escaper; there is a switch in the bathroom and a duplicate in the bedroom lower right (as you enter) with a red indicator light. What does it do???

Jim
Shilohjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilohjim View Post
Widmerhd,
Hello, I just bought a 2001 Escaper and thus far love it. I'm a little older than you guys at 73, been out of camping for over 30 years as my career took it's course.

Sine I finally found someone with an Escaper; there is a switch in the bathroom and a duplicate in the bedroom lower right (as you enter) with a red indicator light. What does it do???

Jim
Hi Jim,

Those switches turn on the electric element in the hot water tank. Make sure you have water in the tank before turning on. Light on element on.

I agree nice to hear from someone else with an Escaper. Only had mine for 7 months, working out small problems but love the unit so far.

Stay in touch.

Rod
widmerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Generator Exhaust "Pipe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
How easy was it to setup the generator exhaust pipe?

Steve --

The generator exhaust pipe I use has the brand name of "Gen-turi" and is made by Camco (I purchased mine at Camping World). The first time use takes 15-20 minutes as the exhaust tube "adapter" must be fitted and secured to the generator's exhaust pipe and secured with a U-bolt clamp. After that, it takes < 5 minutes to assemble the three pieces of the exhaust tube. I place "suction cup" hooks on the driver's window to hold the exhaust tube stabilizer straps.

Here is the Camping World link which provides more info about the Gen-turi exhaust system --> http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...t-system/14041
Old 11-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the info. We rarely use our generator but I do worry about CO entering the motorhome. BTW we have sealed many cracks between walls, floor, firewall area but I know we must have more and getting the generator exhaust high in the air is safer.

Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:30 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
fagnaml - Welcome to the Damon forum. Not to much goes on over here. But we will always try to help. Not near the number of post here as in just plan Class A Motorhome Post section. Welcome, and that is one sharp Motor Coach! Enjoy your trips to LSU games.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Hello everyone! In late October, we moved out of our 2000 Thor Hurricane, (no slide, school bus chassis) into a 2009 Damon Daybreak 3575. Sadly, it had to go into winter storage the same week we bought it so we can't wait to enjoy having 2 slides, 2 couches, a king size bed and the Ford 53 chassis! Going from a 30' to a 38' rig will be like going from driving a fire engine to a ladder truck but luckily I have 30 years of experience driving both so bring on the trips!

I am perplexed by one thing so far. The door that leads into the bath/bed area has a strip of velcro on it. We've seen the exact same strip of velcro in photos of similar rigs. Does anyone have an idea of what used to be attached to it? It's no big deal but will have me curious until I figure it out!

Merry Christmas to all!

Firetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #13

Hey fagnaml, belated welcome! I have a 2008 Damon that I really enjoy. Talking to owners and reading about model lines that survived the switch from Damon to Thor, I believe the Damon coaches were really well made and are a good value for most owners. I think Thor had some growing pains that caused some quality control issues that are hopefully getting improved.

I see you are a LSU fan, come join us college football fanatics:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/colle...ll-258080.html

But be warned, there are some Bama fans that lurk there
Old 07-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
just wanted to clarify a point here, in case someone came looking for this information:

the switches mentioned in the bathroom, and the bedroom are different in our 2002 Damon Ultrasport than what was talked about here. Not sure if your 2001 is the same as ours, but:

the switch in the bathroom is indeed for the hot water heater (there is a secondary switch ON the tank itself, inside behind the wood cover) that must also be on.

the switch in the bedroom is the engine pre-heater. we turn this on for 30 minutes if the temps get below 50 or so overnight. it apparently warms the oil and block, to make starting easier.

Tags
damon, forum