Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Night Riders — Headlights Solved

I like traveling at night. Less traffic and can click off some miles before breakfast. Problem has been that my headlights were extremely weak. Tried numerous different bulbs all with the same poor results. Now I finally found the perfect solution.

I did a lot of research before I decided on the $89.00 Hikari’s on Amazon. These LED’s are rumored to use Phillips LEDs. They have positioned the LED’s so that they are in the exact same position as the tungsten filament in the halogens they are replacing. Without that exact placement, you are likely to get scattered, unfocused light which provides insufficient road illumination and at ths same time blinds oncoming traffic.

The Hikari have a tightly focused low beam pattern in my headlight housing which does a great job lighting the road ahead and an unbelievable job in lighting the sides of the travel path. The shoulder or ditch on the right are beautifully lit - something my halogens and other LED’s I tried never did. The high beams in my reflector housing are not much different then my low so I can’t rave about that. But, can’t really see much need for a high beam. Funny, I used to run my old bulbs on high and never got flashed cause they were so weak. The Hikari far exceeded my expectations.

After changing out my third ICC switch I was getting ready to add a relay switch system just prior to trying the Hikari’s. Because they only use 23 watts per bulb, my ICC switch is running much cooler and the wires aren’t melting. Another problem solved!!!

Installation complexity were as simple as a halogen bulb change.

I only had one trucker flash me and that’s because my passenger side housing needs to be adjusted down. These bulbs need to be aimed properly as I discovered.

All I can say from my experience is that I will never drive with halogens again. These LEDs are so much brighter, and the light is so much cleaner. The night driving experience is so much better and so much safer.

I love these LED’s.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Pics?
techdad55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #3

Pic and link to bulb?
chip6763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
The V1’s are a fairly new product offering. They have had some very good top five and top ten reviews. My V1-9007 set came in the white product box. The older version come in a red product box and are running $39. I doubt the old versions are as good IMHO.

I personally don’t have any pictures to post. The company web site Hikariled.com isn’t very helpful either. Amazon has a lot of good reviews. Google will bring up the comparisons and top five led’s. I went with the newer model. There’s a couple of white box YouTube’s if you search for “Hikari”. Hope this helps.

Tags
headlight, light, lights