RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

No idea what to expect

Hello all,

I am zipping down to VA from snowy upstate NY in a couple days to pick up a 2007 Damon Tuscany from an insurance auction house.

Here's a look

I'm not new to RV's, owned many through the years, but I have no idea what to expect when I arrive for pick up. I am not at all familiar with this particular make/model.

The unit is listed as "Runs and Drives", and photos were taken just a week before, so I do believe it actually does run and drive, and from other photos I know it has batteries in it. It does have some minor (I think) cosmetic damage on the front cowl, but hopefully the drive home will not make it worse.

I'll need to dump the tanks and winterize it before driving it home, it's currently in the 20's at home.
Also, I'll be sure to check fluid levels in the engine and transmission, check tire condition and pressures.

Anything else you guys (and gals) can think of?
Is there a water heater bypass? Where might it be?
Is there an intake for water line antifreeze? Where might that be?
Engine and tranny dipsticks?
Are the slides hydraulic or motor and cable?
Any common problems I should look out for?

Any information would be appreciated, I'm hoping for an uneventful drive home!

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Tuscany from Insurance Sale

I own a 2007 Damon Tuscany.
To answer your questions:
Water heater bypass is located at the back of the water heater which you get access too through the access panel located inside the cargo bay. You have to crawl into the cargo bay to access it.
I am not aware of an intake to water system antifreeze. Most people use air to flush out all the lines after doing a gravity drain which is located just under the water storage tank in the waste tank bay.
Engine and tranny dip sticks are at the rear next to the Radiator. May have to move the rubber flap at the top of the radiator to see and check the coolant level resevoir.
Slide are electric motor, 12volt.
I notice in the photo it doesn't look like it has the driver side mirror. May have been ripped off in accident. Do you have any photos of that side of the coach?
If it has the Cat c7 engine, they have a HEUI fuel system that is sensitive to dirty oil and dirty fuel. Make sure you carry a spare primary and secondary fuel filter with you in case you have dirty fuel in the tank. If it has been sitting for very long the fuel most likely has water and or algae in it.
Suggest doing a google search on cat c7 Heui for more info.
Headlight are known for not being very bright so keep that in mind if you are going to drive it back during the night.
Also wiper motors are known to bee weak and in need of replacement, so keep that in mind if driving in bad weather.
Depending on price you are paying it could be a good deal depending of course on condition.
Let me know if you have any other questions, glad to help.

gvcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #3

Gerry,
Thank you too much! That's exactly the sort of info I need!

It does have a Cat engine, don't know which one, or maybe there was only one offered? If those filters are an issue, I'll be sure to pick some up.

How long has it been sitting? Another unknown, but the photos were taken on the 19th of Nov. Since it's listed as "Runs and Drives", I assume it got there under it's own power...assume.

The driver side mirror is actually there, but in an odd place IMO.

Here's a few more pics. BTW, it was $32k, the front cowl fix is easy (I build boats and am very comfortable with glass, kevlar, carbon fiber, resin, etc)
It's really too big for us to keep beyond a planned cross country trip next year.

Not sure if those two rocker/recliners are OEM, and I can see that there's a dash panel removed, that may or may not be inside the coach somewhere.
I've done this enough(with smaller stuff) to know that I need to be prepared for surprises, both good and bad!

As long as I can get it the 500 miles to home, I can diddle with it in the spring, big trip is in July.

Thanks again,
Mike T
Old 12-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my 08 tuscany has the water heater by pass behind a panel in the bedroom just below the washer dryer.
its got four push in buttons they pop out easy and then you unscrew the screws and the panel comes off. the valve is right there.

how many miles are on this unit.
still weird price for a roughed up front end. is there some other damages you are not made aware of

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #5

Thanks, powterboatr.
The unit has just under 71K miles on it.

As far as the price, it's fairly typical for such damage. We bought a 2016 Moto Guzzi for my son in 2017, it had 203 miles on it and merely a scratch on the gas tank. It was 1/3 the cost of what it was worth. Same goes for a half dozen Jeeps that I've bought, really minor damage that costs me almost nothing to fix, but tally up rapidly when considering OEM parts and flat rate labor.

As for any additional damage, that remains to be seen. But again, for the buy in, I don't see how I can get hurt.
If I had to pay for repairs and maintenance at standard shop rates, I might not be so sure.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #6

Update:
We did manage to get the unit out from the insurance lot
Took a bit to start it needed a jump plus using the aux start button
Fluids and pressures were good
It looks like the water lines were blown out but I still am adding RV antifreeze to be sure
Runs drives and rides nicely plenty of power

Now for the bad part—-the front cowl damage is hiding damage to the generator
Also there’s damage to 3 of the awnings on the passenger side
Oh and wiring to pass side headlights is severed

Haven’t tried the leveling jacks or slides yet

Even with the unforeseen damage I’m still ok with the buy