Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Oil Change

I want to change the oil on my Damon 2001 Challenger. I can see where to do it. Was just wondering if any one had a tip on how since it seems to be an "up hill job". Mike
mirving1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
V10 or Workhorse Chassis. On the V10, I let the oil drain over to the front axle and caught it in a pan underneath. Afterwards I would wipe the axle down good.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #3

Oil Change

Thanks for the tip. Had to fashion a hose to put the oil back in but it worked out OK. Mike
mirving1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Purchase a Fumoto (sp.) which screws in place of the drain plug. This will prevent oil from running onto axle and creating a mess. (If V-10)

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #5

Agree with Bronk. That is what I did.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

I also put the Fumato valve on my V10 when I had it. I made sure to get the one that has the nipple on it so I could attach a hose.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
Purchase a Fumoto (sp.) which screws in place of the drain plug. This will prevent oil from running onto axle and creating a mess. (If V-10)

Bronk
Take a piece of cardboard and make a "V" shaped trough. Use it to channel the oil into the pan and keep the axle clean. You can do this when you loosen the filter a d lo if needed.

Dan
Old 03-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oil change assist

This might assist the changing of engine oil.
But you need to send plug diam to make a sure fit.
I have yet to crawl under and discover what size we have on our 2006 Damon. But may give Freightliner a call.

Welcome to OilDrainValve.net, authorize online dealer of EZ Oil Drain Valve.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Fumoto valve is made of brass and stainless steel. Nothing chromed. Always get the one with a nipple. It will have an "N" designation in its model, like "F-106N" vs non-nipple model "F-106". The nipple lends itself to easier cleaning and also lets you drain the oil through reusable clear plastic hose over the axle and into plastic milk jugs and other containers.
Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™

If you have the 8.1 engine, use the optional 2 quart spin-on oil filter. [NAPA 17944, WIX 51794, Fram PH 373 ] The longer filter is easier to handle, install and remove. It also adds one more quart of oil to your engine.

While under the coach, don't forget your grease gun. I use RED LINE.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #10

For about $10 at walmart, I bought a high capacity funnel and an oil jug. I put the funnel into the opening of the jug and then slide the whole thing under the drain plug at a little bit of an angle. When it is set up it looks like a small oil pan set up they use when your car is on a lift. Pull the plug, and drain the oil with no oil mess at all. I do the same thing for the oil filter, which can cause a mess if you are not ready for it. The whole thing takes me about 10 minutes to drain the oil and the filter, put a new filter on and put the plug back in. I also bought a small hose attachment that screws onto the top of the oil container which makes putting the new oil back in very easy.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:42 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
For about $10 at walmart, I bought a high capacity funnel and an oil jug. I put the funnel into the opening of the jug and then slide the whole thing under the drain plug at a little bit of an angle. When it is set up it looks like a small oil pan set up they use when your car is on a lift. Pull the plug, and drain the oil with no oil mess at all. I do the same thing for the oil filter, which can cause a mess if you are not ready for it. The whole thing takes me about 10 minutes to drain the oil and the filter, put a new filter on and put the plug back in. I also bought a small hose attachment that screws onto the top of the oil container which makes putting the new oil back in very easy.
Great idea.... I need to make a trip to Walmart. For the filter I would loosen then wrap a plastic bag or two around it and the drop into the bag.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldtbird.06 View Post
This might assist the changing of engine oil.
But you need to send plug diam to make a sure fit.
I have yet to crawl under and discover what size we have on our 2006 Damon. But may give Freightliner a call.

Welcome to OilDrainValve.net, authorize online dealer of EZ Oil Drain Valve.
For the V10 it is F106 or F106 for the nipple version.