RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
gts

Outlaw needs paint

Hi All, I usually use the rv every weekend or so, but lately its been in storage and even though I rotate it from one side to the other, it still gets faided and im thinking about having it painted. Maybe Having the decals re done with paint, or having it wraped. Any one out there finding the same thing?
Thanks Tony

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did that earlier this year in Palm Desert Ca. Decal removal was $800 and lifetime custom paint another $7K. Picked my own colors that covered shadows. Name Outlaw was painted on by making photo stencils. Glad I did it.

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Tony,

Paint means decal removal and paint application...price based on complexity. The price that DD reports is outstanding and I intend to call his shop about a job on my Outlaw.

I got quotes for a full body wrap that started at about $6,000 and up to $7,000. The complexity of design was not that much of a big deal for a wrap, but the more colors = more $.

A wrap can cost less than paint as they can be applied over old decals (as long as they are not peeling).
New materials used in wraps are better than older decals, but still not as good as paint.

Partial wraps and large logos cost less than full wraps, but then you might need the old decals removed.

Best luck with whatever you do.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
gts

Thanks so much for getting back to me . The estimate process starts after the first. Ill keep you informed but, thats what i was thinking 6-8K not a good way to start the new year. On another note has anyone been to Pioneer Viillage in Nebraska if your into cars, bikes, and just American history this is somthing you have to see.
Tony
Old 12-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts View Post
Thanks so much for getting back to me . The estimate process starts after the first. Ill keep you informed but, thats what i was thinking 6-8K not a good way to start the new year. On another note has anyone been to Pioneer Viillage in Nebraska if your into cars, bikes, and just American history this is somthing you have to see.
Tony
Been to Harold Warp's Pioneer Village? YES - LOVED IT!!!
Pioneer Village

It is the best place I have ever been to for seeing "all things America."
Cars yes...and SO MUCH MORE.

BTW, I will not be doing paint after decal removal. I am going with the all white/high gloss look that a couple of other Outlaw's here have done...
OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes
I kinda' like it and think it makes the Outlaw look pretty timeless. Plus - being all gel coat - so easy to clean and wax.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-27-2013, 02:55 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Painting of 08 Outlaw

Photos of my Outlaw after decals were removed and partial paint was completed. [Double/triple click on pic's to make larger]. Colors I chose were Red, Viper Blue, Silver, and Marble all with gold pin-striping and four layers of clear coat. The sides of the slide-out were also painted to give the coach a full look. Lettering was accomplished by making a photo stencil for the painters. You'll notice colors touch and cross over each other along with shadowing to make the colors pop.
Work done by RV Collision Clinic in Desert Host Springs (near Palm Springs) CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	52711   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	52712  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	52713  
Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DoggyDaddy,

Looking close at your last picture (above)...what are the 2 bar looking things on the Outlaw's roof...solar?
If it's solar, would you be interested in doing a project overview in the Outlaw Mods thread? I know I would like to see how you did your install.

BTW, the paint job looks great!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
DoggyDaddy,

Looking close at your last picture (above)...what are the 2 bar looking things on the Outlaw's roof...solar?
If it's solar, would you be interested in doing a project overview in the Outlaw Mods thread? I know I would like to see how you did your install.

BTW, the paint job looks great!
That would be the solar panels. There are 4 on the flat of the roof. Can do early next year.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #9

See link below for a short story and pics on our project to remove the decals on our 2010. Ran about $2K (body shop in Hayward, CA) to remove all the decals and polish things up pretty good.

Decal / graphics project

Am "considering" a possible next phase of adding a few painted swoops to give a more finished look. But, we're kind of holding on that for the time being as we think it looks OK as is.

FWIW, after my experience with peeling decals, I wouldn't use decals on our rig (we store ours outside), but rather would spend a little more for paint.

DD's job looks really nice!

Mike
tr21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
gts - I realize you are on the West coast, but I wanted to post this for any body in the Central US (Texas) area. We bought a 2000 Damon Ultrasport last year and the vinyl decals were faded and torn up in a few spots. Checked on having new decals put on by RV Stripes & Graphics (rvsg.com) but later found someone in the Houston area -Best Preowned RV (bestpreownedrv.com) that did an outstanding job (removal, buff and repaint) for more reasonable than any other quote we got. And I was able to get RV Stripes & Graphics to recreate the logo's so our rig looks like new. Good luck!
Attached Images

psandoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint