Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Patio and bay light switch problem

Hi everyone!

I hope everyone was able to go somewhere warm this winter and didn't freeze in the snowy north!

I have a 2004 Damon Challenger and I'm having a problem with the light switch for the patio light, bay lights and main interior lights. I have a switch panel on the steps coming into the coach:

This switch has been "acting up" for a while now, I would turn on the main interior lights and they wouldn't come on, then later, if I left the switch in the on position, they just would come on "later", (anywhere form 10 minutes to 4 hours later). This winter, this behavior started with my patio light, I would turn on the switch and the light wouldn't come on for about an hour or two, then suddenly turn on. Tonight, all the switches stopped working. I found a ground wire near the steps where the lines exit the coach to the exterior chassis. It was rusted, so I cleaned it and reconnected it, but it didn't do anything for the lights. I have checked all of the fuses, but they are also OK.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I should look next?

Thanks

zog

US Army veteran, USAF disabled veteran, (yes, I served in both branches).
zogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Remove switch jump wires if light comes on bad switch start with the patio lights or bay lights those are simple
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #3

Turn off 12v power, take the sw box off the wall, spray contact cleaner on each switch, work each switch several times as you spray. Reinstall box, turn on 12v. Fixed.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I don't think that the switch is the problem.

I did the following:

1. I shorted the middle wire, (red pos), to the other connectors with no results.

2. I used a 12v test probe hooked to the chassis ground, no results.

3. I tested all the leads with a multimeter, not even a minimal voltage.

They way it's been acting makes me think that there is a bad relay somewhere in the line, but I can't find one. I've been trying to go through the wiring diagram for the coach, but I haven't found the switch yet, it seems Damon made them for people with a greater electrical knowledge than me!

Any other suggestion?

Thanks!

EDIT: It seems that I only have a wiring diagram for the chassis, not the coach itself. I'll start Googling to see if I can find one.

US Army veteran, USAF disabled veteran, (yes, I served in both branches).
zogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch